Problem with new Shimano XT Brakes using another brand Rotor!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by 1SickFury, Nov 2, 2011.

1. 1SickFury

1SickFury New Member

So I called around to all the big shops in the area Incycle, Helens, Wheel World, and finally Fullerton Bikes. I talk to Mike at Fullerton Bikes and he had both Shimano adapters for Front/Rear. $12.99 a piece big contrast from the prices I was finding online. Upon inspection I noticed about a 3-4mm difference between the Shimano Adapters and the Magura adapters. So I took my bike with me picked up the adapters and stopped at Turnbull. I did a quick adapter swap on the street, aligned the calipers, did a few sprints to bed the pads in, and I was good to go. All I have to say is WOW!!! After riding my Hayes Strokers for over a year and having to grabs gobs of brake to stop my 250lbs frame I thought brakes just weren't designed for big guys like me. Boy was I wrong. These new XT brakes had me feeling a bit paranoid because it felt like if I grabbed a little bit too much brake my wheels would lock up. If the XT's are this powerful then the Saints can probably only be lightly feathered otherwise the wheels will lock up.

Here's a shot of the rotor with the Shimano adapter, not a noticable difference but the Shimano adapters were lower than the Maguras:
    [​IMG]

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Awesome! Looks spot-on to me. To answer an earlier - and now moot - question, I don't know what kind of adaptors Mike (Pro Bike Supply) installed, and my bike is in the shop for some suspension love, so I can't check. All I know is they work great (and I like the look of the Storms over the IceTechs - but performance matters most). Good on ya (and on Fullerton Mike) for finding a reasonably priced solution.

3. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    Great deal on blueskycycling 2012 shimano xt brakes $109.00 !!! Has rotors but not the ice tech, doesn't include cooling fins, still a great deal!

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    No. Mine seem to be wearing like normal.