PQ/Tunnels Public planning meeting. September 18th at 6 PM

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by TCB, Sep 5, 2008.

1. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    PQ Trails Plan Public Workshop: MTBers NEEDED!

Thursday, September 18th at 6 PM
    Location: Canyonside Recreation Center, Canyonside Drive, west off of Black Mtn. Rd

If you care what happens to Del Mar Mesa and Carmel Mountain Preserves you need to attend this meeting. All the players will be at the table and SDMBA wants to make sure mountain bikers are well represented. We'll be there and we're asking you to show up with your helmet to support our cause.

Some background:

Carmel Mountain and Del Mar Mesa Preserves Draft Resource Management Plan

This plan was presented to the Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve Citizens Advisory Committee (LPCP CAC) on July 17th, 2008. The initial reaction was that it was too large a document to adequately respond to in the time limit given. Some early objections were that the draft was not significantly different from the previously presented plan and that the maps did not accurately represent the existing trails. The objections to the draft were supported by many SDMBA members present at that meeting. The result was that the CAC requested an extended timeline for the written comments period, and this extension was granted. Now SDMBA members and Multi-Use Trails Coalition Members are working to respond to the draft’s shortcomings.

The new timeline is as follows:
    CAC workshop: September 18, 2008
    Written comment period ends: October 14, 2008
    Respond to comments and final RMP: November 6, 2008
    CAC meeting to vote on RMP: November 20, 2008

To view the draft plan: http://www.sandiego.gov/planning/mscp/index.shtml

2. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    The PQ Tunnels: What You Can Do

I've received a few emails asking, and that means more would like to know what's coming up regarding the Tunnels, Deer Canyon and/or the "Del Mar Mesa" in San Diego.

After yeoman's work by Rob Mikuteit to document, record and map all the trails within the Del Mar Mesa RMP area, the Multiuse Trails Coalition and SDMBA have a draft trails plan concept prepared for the entire area to be discussed at the September 18th CAC meeting set for 6:00pm (not 7) at the Canyonside Rec Center (not the ranch house).

It will be prepared for public consumption ASAP. The important thing to know is that the battle for trails access in these areas unfortunately starts from the basis set by
    the author(s) of the draft RMP: NO TRAILS OTHER THAN THE UTILITY ROAD.

The opposite extreme is "any and all trails that are there now", and my position is that neither extreme is appropriate, responsible or acceptable. So, we have endeavored to draw up a trails plan that provides loops, access and -- where possible-- Full Multiuse Access for all non-motorized trail users.

This plan will also embody the eradication/closure of many trails in the Deer Canyon area. Some of these trails are obviously junk, others are "wonderful", but all are what the opponents of trail access will argue should be close (ie part of "all") and it's important that we never relinquish our high-ground: we are the guardians of the preserve and the resources, rather than the anti-trail, "fence it all off" crowd. You might be surprised to see how many trails are actually in there, right now! When you do, it will be obvious that it's "more than enough".

Please schedule your attendance at the CAC meeting into your calendar, now. Our goal will be to voice our overwhelming community support for an engineered trails system for runners, cyclists and equestrians that will be sustainable, useful and enable San Diegans to access the habitat and environmental amenities that we pay for with our tax dollars. It's not about "recreation" but rather "public access to open space". Please reach out to your neighbors, co-workeers and more: let them know you'll be coming to them with a request that they FAX and Phone local
    leaders and City staff in support of trails access for our kids, families and future. This applies to equestrians, trail runners, hikers and bikes, equally: we all like and enjoy trails!

Go time is coming as fast as we can get there.

3. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    An update I received from EBasil

--the "Workshop" will be 90 minutes, only, with a 30-minute CAC meeting
    to follow.
    --the workshop will begin with a presentation by the City regarding Deer
    Canyon and the DMM trails (Tunnels), focused on what parameters they're willing to
    consider trails within and including the City's proposal for trails, if
    any.
    --the workshop will then allow two organized presentations, presumably
    by the Trails Committee and then by the trails community.
    --the city intends that the outcome of the workshop will be a CAC vote
    on some kind of trails system, creating directions for City staff and
    the contractors to revise the RMP before the November CAC meeting. They
    want a CAC vote on the entire RMP in November.
    --The MTC/SDMBA maps being developed will present a plan for loop trails
    and access from neighborhoods, with "full multiuse" wherever possible.
    There may be elements of the drafts that conflict with the City's
    presentation, and we're working now to get a new, not yet produced,
    precise map of vernal pools that apparently implicate trails we thought
    to be outside the boundary of the pools themselves.
    --the time limits will be "hard": we must vacate the building by 8pm.

Attendance is strongly suggested: Thursday, September 18th, 6:00pm,
    Canyonside Rec Center.

4. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

5. Ray Dolor

Ray Dolor New Member

Thank you again for the notice, Eric, and for all the effort you, Rich, and many others have put out to save this place. It has rejuvenated my riding experience in PQ/DM Mesa to have found these trails a few years back.

Now, with Intestines obliterated by Pardee, this is more vital, more important, than ever. The bike-haters see a chance here to drive the proverbial wooden stake thru the heart of coastal SD mtbing, and they are gonna go for it.

I plan on bein' out there tomorrow AM to spread the word. BB over on emptybeer has put up some flyers. I might make a few to hand out myself.

Keep the Faith. See you at the meetin'.

/Ray. (U-know).

6. bankerboy

bankerboy Night riding junkie

Bank Trainer
    Hey, I live here too! :wave:Just not as frequent. I guess that has to change.

All I did was put up a couple of homemade flyers advising of the possible trail closure and encourage any and all users to attend the meeting. Hopefully there are no A-holes that tear down the flyers. Any and all exposure is a good thing right now.

The part that sucks for me is I cannot attend the meeting. I am on my HOA and our meeting is the same night and time. This is a cannot miss one for me. Sorry. If we get done early, I will zip down there. How late do the meetings typically run?

7. rydn-hye

rydn-hye New Member

CAD Designer
    Anyone that knows the tunnels should attend the meeting on 09/18....I know I'll be there..I think SDMBA also mentioned to bring your helmet for full support of Mtn Bikers' that frequent the area.

I was introduced to the tunnels a few months ago and have been riding them pretty regularly the past few weeks. It sure would be ashame to lose such a treasure. Such a great system of trails there.

8. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

Hey moderator, can you merge this thread & these two others? Thanks.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...lic-planning-meeting-september-18th-6-pm.html

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...0-city-sds-plans-tunnels-trails-revealed.html

Had a good ride with a larger-than-normal group today at LPQ & tunnels, including first timers & kids (but hard-riding kids!). Busiest I've ever seen! Stopped and talked to many people -- the majority were aware of the issue & meeting. Gave flyers to those who didn't know. Saw bankerboy's signs at tunnel entrances -- good job! Talked with Taffy15 and his pals, who were also edjakatin' folks. EBasil was leading the CAC Trails ciommittee on a walking tour of the tunnels & Mesa. Talked in passing twice with them. All friendly & nice -- hope there were no trail etiquette "incidents". Left a few more flyers -- only on the obviously biker vehicles in the lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  9. TCB

TCB New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Bump
    Spread the word

10. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Greg, we will try to be there.

11. b5driver

b5driver New Member

Thanks for getting the word out guys. I will be out there this afternoon and will keep an eye out for the signs. See you guys on Thursday.

12. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    It was great to see some of you on trail, Saturday morning, as the CAC's Trails Committee walked portions of the Deer Canyon Tunnels! For all but one of our "non-cycling" members present, that was their first time seeing the trails and a rare opportunity for them to interact with cyclists on the trail. I'm sure it was good for them to see a broad spectrum of age, gender and gnar-gnar :) (I would remind you, brothers and sisters: if the hiker doesn't say "hi" first, or you're approaching from behind, SAY HELLO, even if you're terrified by our jiggling butts or scowling demeanor.)

We also hauled out a big pile of migrant-garbage. It's certainly easier to haul stuff out when on foot.

Reminder for This Thursday's PUBLIC HEARING on TRAILS ACCESS for the Tunnels: it's 6:00pm at the Canyonside Rec Center, and pro-trails community members are needed. Come demonstrate the number and variety of San Diegans that value Open Space and like to visit it on your bicycles. Come tell the Director of Open Space why you want to visit this area and how you support the proposal by the Multiuse Trails Coalition and SDMBA for a limited, sustainable and excellent trails system in this canyon.

Directions to Canyonside Rec are: here. Note that the time and location are different from that for the usual CAC meetings

13. evdog

evdog Member

I rode tunnels this morning and unfortunately did not see any flyers or signs.

Thanks to Eric and the other folks. I will be there Thursday and will try to bring friends.

14. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

Flyers were selectively hand-distributed directly to bikers or their vehicles so as not to become litter. The posted flyer I saw was on the right on the chainlink fence opening that you ride thru at the top of Rocking Horse.

15. jSatch

jSatch MTBGremmie

I saw Brian again handing out flyers just past the Eucalyptus trees Saturday morning. I met Dan who made good presence with a big family group. Everyone I saw I spoke with, and nearly all were aware of the meeting. Kudos to Brian, Eric (whom I haven't had the pleasure of meeting) and others for raising the awareness of this situation.

I ran into the committee at the same spot after a lap. They were looking at maps so I offered my help with the area. A friendly committee member mentioned their purpose, ie, looking at the area as a wildlife conservatory and determining which trails might stay open. I mentioned I generally come with a colleague from work and our families, so was hoping that the whole area would be left open. She mentioned that wasn't going to be possible.

I have the impression which, if any, trails that are to be kept open will be predetermined by Thursday's meeting. A good showing will be vital to swaying opinion on that initial map.

Cheers, Joe

16. chucky gross

chucky gross New Member

Where exactly is the Canyonside Rec Center? Is it the Gym next to the Baseball Fields at the East-end of the park?
    Thanks...
    cg

17. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    anyone interested in car pooling from san carlos San diego state (college) area?

18. b5driver

b5driver New Member

That's the one.

19. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    You are right: Thursday's meeting is for the purpose of showing the City staff and administrators the volume, purpose and credibility of the trails community's proposed trails plan. Nothing we don't ask for and convince over will be in the trails plan prepared by the City, and there are no guarantees of anything. The MTC and SDMBA core groups have worked hard on a killer trails plan that will be presented on behalf of the community. It's important, and we'll need you to write letters afterward.

In that committee group, the tall, beer-bellied guy with a cowboy hat, grey beard and garlic breath... that was Erik. So, we've sorta met. :wave:

20. jSatch

jSatch MTBGremmie

Cool!

I hope to see you next in a bike helmet, at Tunnels.

Many thanks from all of us for all of the time and effort you've dedicated to this issue. :clap::clap::clap::beer:

Cheers, Joe ('ol dude on a purdy silver heckler)