Politics as usual!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dirtmistress, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    It's late and I was paging through the fights and saw the facts cited above. Wow! Imagine if Obama could increase the federal budget by 500% - what an organizer. No metrics of success except size of budget.

2. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    gee, i guess you're right. they would have been way more effective with a staff of one...

what measures of success would make you happy: how people's incomes increased after their job training, how their test scores went up after their tutoring, how they used their tenants' rights to improve their living conditions, etc. it was probably all just a church-based front to sell drugs (mccain ad to follow).

btw: under clinton, the federal budget increased from 1.5 trillion to 1.9 trillion. bush's last budget was 3.1 trillion. that's big government (borrow and spend).

“The issue of economics is not something I’ve understood as well as I should.”--mcbush

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Somebody's income increased for sure - the director's.
    Read what you quoted accomplishments including helping set up a job training program Not doing the job training but "helping" "setup" job training. Ambiguity - a sure sign of nothing accomplished. The only people who got jobs were those in the bureaucracy.

4. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

huh? the director is the person in charge, so, no, he doesn't do every job himself- just like the president doesn't actually shoot anyone himself. that job is left up to the military. and the v.p.

and i hope you're also going after the boss of the red cross, because that lazy bastard is never there when i'm giving blood.

if the biggest knock on obama was how good of a volunteer he was 20 years ago, then i guess he's got a pretty good record.

5. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Reproductive freedom? What? Having sex is a freedom. Not having sex is also a freedom. My stats say there are plenty of moms to care for these babies.

Why would I want to punish the baby for something some horrible person did to my wife or daughter?

My compassion lies w/ the innocent baby. Who's Adam? What rant?

6. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

if you don't like the laws in our country...

padre- welcome to my ignore list. have a nice day. :beer:

maybe we can solve the death penalty problem next...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  7. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

hey- anyone have thoughts on the 700 billion bailout. i would think that the conservatives--with their "personal responsibility" mantra--would be revolting. it sure pisses me off. the ceo's make reckless (unregulated) choices to get bigger bonuses, then when they bring the company down they get bailed out by the government. and i don't have much sympathy for the people who took out crappy mortgages or ones that they couldn't afford, so they lost their houses.

thoughts? rants? wudduhya think, chocula?

EDIT: and the bailout money is being borrowed, so it's increasing our national debt, devaluing the dollar, and increasing oil prices. nice.

8. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    I think it's CRAP! So now we are having to bail out a bunch of morons that are irresponsible and can't pay the ridiculous mortgage they agreed to. People will sign anything it seams.

9. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    I'm with you 100% on this one. If this passes, we'll be regretting it for generations. Plenty of blame to go around on this one.

Not sure I agree with you on much else so I'll just enjoy this one....:beer:

10. quazi

quazi New Member

Investment Banker
    The govt just structured the best trade of 08. Taxpayers need warrants to share in the profit. You have no idea what would have happened if we did not do this. Main street meltdown.

11. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

The alternative was "The Great Depression II: Living in a America Just Got Real Shitty".

The only financial insitutions to weather the storm are those that are federally regulated, which is a big slap in the face to all the "free market/small goverment" republicans.

Once that works its way into the public conciousness, I thinks it's gonna be a little tougher for our boy McPalin.

So sowwy! No creationism for you, ladies :lol:.

12. CPATCRASH

I agree with you but still think it's crap. The companies can make loans that are way over the peoples heads and then sensible people that don't live beyond their means have to bail them out.

It just sucks that it went that far. I should have sold my place two years ago when I could have gotten $350.000 more than it was worth.

13. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

and from what i've heard so far, secretary paulson has absolute power concerning the deal, and will have no accountability to congress or anybody else.

14. g-dub

g-dub Member

This sequence has been a vindication, not a slap in the face, for freedom loving people. Witness the gloating at the Wall Street Journal, which spent the last 8 years steadily reminding us that Fan & Fred were a disaster in the making. For this they got nothing but grief from the congressional democrats.

Fannie & Freddie avoided market reality through incessant lobbying for the past 10 years or so. The problem here was not free markets, but quite the opposite, it's crony capitalism of the worst kind. Note that the #3 recipient of Fannie Mae campaign cash in the Senate was the Obamessiah/Dalai Obama/The One himself. #1 was the Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, Chris Dodd (D-CT).

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/07/top-senate-recipients-of-fanni.html

In a free market, these companies would never have existed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  15. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

I was told a couple years ago when looking at houses that they would " loan me up to $1,000,000" without any proof of income.
    I looked at the loan officer and told them that " they had big problems coming if this is how they do business".
    Couldn't get out of their fast enough.

These institutions deserve to be in pain, and should fail.
    They made crap loans to people the KNEW could not afford them.
    Then bundled them as securities and sold them off.

All the businesses that made these loans, the companys that bundled them and sold them as "securities" should be held acountable.
    At the very least, the goverment should receive ownership equivalent to any monies they bail them out with, given their current poor market value.

If this is what our countrys "best financial minds" can do, then we're in big trouble.

Now the Chinese goverment is going to own a controling stake in our finance companies.

Hope you all can learn Mandarin.

16. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
  17. CPATCRASH

18. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

freedom loving people? okay...

mccain's campaign manager, rick davis, was paid hundreds of thousands by fannie and freddie to deregulate/protect the industry. mccain's staff is littered with ex-lobbyists and he's been in knee-deep with the culture of lobbying for decades (keating 5).

EDIT: and congress was controlled by the cons until last year.

and my lapel flag is bigger than yours. thanks for playing.

19. g-dub

g-dub Member

So you agree with me, then?

20. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

yes, i agree with you. it was mccain's fault, since he (and his lobbyists) pushed for deregulation for years, way before obama was even in the senate. :beer: