Ride Report Poison Oak: Ken Burton Trail & The Arroyo Seco/Gabe

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by JoeTruth, Feb 12, 2008.

1. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I rode to the top of Brown Mountain and down The Ken Burton trail this afternoon. Conditions were near perfect @ 80 degrees.

KB was in awesome shape and very tacky. I saw tire marks with skid marks going towards the edge of the trail. That was peculiar as you don't see such brake locking marks on this trail. Not exactly shuttle friendly and usually only the guys with sub 35 lb. bikes make it up there. Maybe it was some recent riders who were moving a little too fast and had to keep over-correcting. Just an interesting observation is all.
    Except for a little tumble, I cleaned all but one switchbacks. KB is a fun little trail and it seems it has gotten even better. Towards the bottom of KB is where I noticed the recent great trail work and re-route of the trail performed by El-Presidente, Kanga and company. Thanks, gentlemen. The trail looks awesome and has held-up wonderfully through last weeks rains. I took a little fall at one of the new switchbacks. I hesisated for one split second, expecting to go straight (old trail) but the new trail switch backed left. Thank God for dead branches as they saved me from tumbling down further (Trio photo's to follow tomorrow, if they came out okay). Broken visor on helmet, a few scrapes and a hurt ego was the worst of it. Once in the canyon, that's where the fun stopped for me and the HAB, river rafting, water logging began. The Arroyo is really moving and there are many many water crossings. On many crossings, I was up to my shins and sometimes up to my knee in water with my bike in the water beside me, which I used to maintain my balance as the rocks were very slick and the water was moving at a fair rate. A section that normally takes 30-40 minutes, took me over 2 hours. Even though the weather was warm, that didn't mean the water was. I would guess the water temps were in the low to mid 40's and after being in it long enough, it started making my feet and toes very cold. Plus, the trail disappeared all together for short bits on some sections or it was too sandy to ride through. I don't remember the conditions being this rugged and wet since the 98 El Nino.

I think I'll stay out of the Arroyo until spring or late spring. Too much HAB and water isn't always fun. Not for me at least. I wonder if my bottom bracket and hubs should be broken down and re-lubed. They did see lots of water today and I wouldn't be surprised if they start miss behaving.

Will try and post pics of Lower KB tomorrow. Again, KB trail work is looking very good!

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    That report makes me glad we passed on riding Switzers to JPL last weekend.

Dean

3. kanga

kanga Active Member

Thanks for the report! Glad to hear it's still in great shape, and I'm looking forward to seeing pics. Here's the most recent Trailwork report, to which Joe's referring:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/trail-talk/13618-rr-ken-burton-trailwork-corba.html

We were up there two weeks ago, and again last fall doing some major work. You could have ridden back up and avoided the river crossings :). That's what we chose to do, as the 50 pound bobs would have been a real hassle with the crossings.

I'm looking to do a ride up Brown, down Burton, then continue up to Switzers, Red Box, Colby, then back out and down the merrills... consider it CC training (Looks like there's space available. I'll post it for those interested when I set a date.

4. kanga

kanga Active Member

here's a great alternate.... Switzers to climb Burton, down to El Prieto and out.

FYI, John and I rode up El Prieto tonight. The two slides have been flattened out and are rideable, but the "high" trail has eroded down to an unstable 6" wide dirt (with a 25' vertical cliff) and is not recommended. One could ride it, but from below one can see that there is nothing but dirt... no roots or rocks supporting that 6" wide dirt bench cut, so it could give at any time, especially with a little more rain. The end of the lower trail is blocked by a fallen tree, but it looks like it will be an easy re-route (lower, below the tree) when we (or someone) get to it. Sorry no pics so no real RR on the night ride. We rode up it to the saddle, then back down.

5. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

That would have been disastrous, I promise you. At the very least, you all would've been miserable.

A friend (Pete aka BrahMa) decided to hit-up Strawberry Peak on Saturday and he called me on his way to announce himself and maybe get together. I was in Vegas and sound asleep and by the time I got his voice mail, I texted him to warn him of the conditions up there. It's deceptive, considering how warm the weather has been. Anyways, I obviously replied too late as he didn't get my message until he finished his ride. The climb up the Strawberry was apparently fine with the occasional snow patches but once he got to the top, he said it took him 3 hours of hiking to get to Angeles Crest Hwy. The snow was anywhere from 6-12 inches and his tires just sunk into it and made it unridable. He rode about 3% of the trail. He thought at the very least he would be able to enjoy the Red Box to Switzer section but he said the top had way too much snow and he opted to bail and cruise down Angeles Crest Hwy. and back to his car instead.

I think you made a wise choice by canceling your ride down the Gab.

After reading about the conditions, I'm surprised you're suggesting coming down from Switzer to KB. That's where all the water crossings begin. I can't imagine that would me much fun, unless you bring a kayak along. :-k

The high trail with the 6" of dirt clinging on to air is what I was referring to a couple of weeks ago. That's the part I can't see holding-up without serious re-enforcement. If something is not done quickly, we can kiss the high trail goodbye.

6. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

some mediocre pictures...

New switch back going left. This is where I hesitated and by memory, was anticipating going straight. You can see the result of my last second correction. Obviously, it wasn't a very good one. :lol:

[​IMG]

New rock bed in trail has held up great...
    [​IMG]

Again, new section and holding-up great...
    [​IMG]

A view of the Arroyo. You can't really tell in the photo but the water was moving.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I landed in front of my bike and right on the edge of a little drop off. I saw that boulder and didn't feel like tumbling into it. I hope what I was laying on isn't dead branches of PO. My right leg is already all red from some reaction.
    [​IMG]

Old section (to the left) which was obviously covered by tree branches.

[​IMG]

Where's my damn helmet visor? It's time for a new helmet...
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the low quality pics. My Trio is all I had with me.

7. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

RR Part II. Poison Oak...

I guess the cut brush I did my superman on (see pic below) was not anything but our beloved Poison Oak...
    [​IMG]

And here's the beginning stages of it's poison effect. The red area is worse then it appears and my whole right thigh is swollen. About 1/3 larger then my left thigh. So far, I've scrubbed with Zanfel (unfortunately, not soon enough. About 24 hrs. later) and have been applying topical relief such as Cordazone cream and Calamine lotion. Could hardly sleep last night from the severe urge to scratch. So far, I've resisted as that's how the oil spreads and makes the infection worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just called in a request for a prescription for Methylprednisolone (thanks, Kanga). I hope this starts getting better before it gets worse. Although I've been in plenty of contact with PO, this is the first time I landed and rolled in it. I wonder how long the branches remain poisonous after being cut down. I believe they've been laying there for over a week but obviously, they're not dead yet.

8. kanga

kanga Active Member

Here's what it looked like on the day we finished that switchback, Sep 29 2007:

[​IMG]

This is the "before" shot (looking from the other direction):

[​IMG]

It was all PO that we cut it through, and I got it systemically, coming out in places that haven't seen daylight in a long time... It was a course of methylprednisolone that finally got me through it after about two weeks.

Even though it looks dry, that's a lot of dry dead PO that still has the urishiol oil all over it.

9. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Nasty, that stuff is evil. It takes weeks for me to break out than about two weeks for it to go away. There are trails around that I don't ride spring or summer because of that stuff.

Dean

10. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

now I know why there werent any tire tracks on KB on friday:-k

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  11. Lone ranger

Lone ranger Guest

Thanks for the rr took a group up there last month. Always one of my favs in the Gabs.

12. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

No problem and you're plenty welcome but please do note, the RR is from Feb. of 08, not 09.
    Leave it to our resident genius FatPuss (aka DiamondBack) to resurrect old threads. He's very talented (i.e. bored) in that category.

13. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    They say that the oil has a very long life... lasting months on a surface before it completely dries out. I hope yours heals quickly.

14. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Thanks, OMR. It's safe to say I'm out of the woods and into the clear, considering it's been 374 days since that happened. ;)