Performance Bikes - all locations/on-line (Merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Winger, Mar 28, 2007.

1. byker4christ

byker4christ New Member

sales associate at performance fountain valley
    the manager at the fountain valley store only cares about what makes him look better. they will match any price you see on their website but if you would rather order it then do that. i doubt the service manager would go to the long beach store mainly because he lives a lot closer to the fountain valley store and doesn't have a car. i would only go to performance if i needed tubes or something small like that. they dont have anything higher end and will never have anything higher end. they are pretty much there to sell tubes and nutrition.

2. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

3. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    Performance.com / Performance bikes - Pasadena

This comment is about my recent experience with Performance.com and Performance in Pasadena. My experiences with both couldn't have been further apart. Heres the story in a condensed version: **It is entertaining...at least I thought so...**

I found a great deal on a road bike on the Performance.com site and purchased it, 2010 model closeout pricing...great deal...right? Well, almost...6 days later they sent an email ad for an additional 10%off of all existing closeout prices, for 1 day only.

I did what anyone looking to save an extra 160 bucks would do, I called customer service and asked that they price match their own price on a bike I hadn't even received yet(I chose the ship to store option). The customer service rep says: "Sorry, we can't price match percenteges off". I processed that for a second and said huh? I offered to do the math for her and she says sorry I can't help you(no kidding). I call back and get another rep who says no we can't match that price it's a special sale price or something to that effect (Can't price match their own price!?!?). So, I asked to cancel my order and he says sorry, your order has left the warehouse - you can't cancel. After arguing with him for a minute about their "100% satisfaction guarantee and price match guarantee" he said I could cancel when it arrives at the store by going in person to do it. So I proceeded to tell him how I WOULD in fact get the discount by double ordering the bike and making a bunch of unnecessary hoopla for nothing, or, he could just save everyone involved some time and honor their new price. He declined.

I called the Pasadena store and spoke with the manager there, Leo. Leo was the only logical, rational, helpful person I ever spoke with in regards to this situation. He understood my situtation and regretted the experience I was having trying to get a price match. I mentioned that I would be double ordering the bike and that he would be receiving two there but I would only be taking the discounted one with me while returning the other and he said I wasn't the first to resort to doing that. He said he'd build it up and let me know when it arrived, and he did just as expected. The Pasadena store is a great little shop, the guys there were very helpful and apologetic for the hoops I had to jump through to get a deal that was advertised. I thought about dropping the issue but felt "bamboozled", this was about the principal of this issue, honoring what they state in writing, and not about the money as I had thought enough of the bike and it's original sale price to buy it initially. (Business ethics fail).

In the end my card got refunded for the bike I declined, the shipping costs were refunded, AND, I got performance points worth about 170 bucks. Performance lost me as a customer after this ordeal, my "Team Performance card" expires next month so im going on a shopping spree to wipe it clean before I bail. I won't hesitate to stop in and support the Pasadena store when i'm in the area though, those guys were very helpful and the only redeeming quality of this lousy company.

In the future, I will instead support the local mom and pop shops that put an effort into gaining and keeping a customer. Treating customers as friends, rather than cattle with deep pockets. I should have known better to deal with Performance, I know, I know...lesson learned.

4. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager
    I frequent their Pasadena store, too. One time I saw their online sales on some tubes, and when I got to the store, they were not on sale in the store. So I asked the dude behind the counter if they would price match, and he said yes, but I can't buy more than one! I said your website didn't state that it's a "limited one" per customer only? He said that's the deal. Ben is a cool dude at that store tho.

5. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    You lost me at "road bike"

6. melster

melster Member

Software
    I just bought a pair of Scattante Mira glasses from the Laguna Hills store. In my experience, they always match their online store's prices. Online, the glasses were $29.99, in the store, they were on sale for $39.99. They gladly matched the online price.

7. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

The Laguna hills location rules....they have no problem price matching anything and the customer service has been great. I will be renewing my membership when it comes time. The thing has saved me boat loads of money

Btw the forte parts they sell there are pretty dang awesome....i have the xenduro rims and they are strong, I have the stem and bars and haven't had any problems

8. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Hey does anyone know if you can buy tubes in bulk from Performance online for a discount anymore? If so, how? Thanks =)

9. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

The Performance in Laguna Hills has been pretty good to me so far. I only really go there for nutrition and tubes, but their staff is pretty helpful.

And they let me return and replace a helmet with pretty obvious crash damage...gave me a funny look but replaced it in the end.

10. byker4christ

byker4christ New Member

sales associate at performance fountain valley
    @ heyitsdave
    i worked there for almost 2 years so i know what im talking about. the whole time i was there i was always asking the managers to get higher end stuff. i was told that they will never carry higher end components because no one ever comes in to buy them. same reason they dont have anything having to do with downhill, freeriding, and dirt jumping. another thing the managers told me is that performance is a store for entry level riders. once people start riding, performance wont carry the products they need to upgrade.

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I wonder why they bought Supergo then?

12. AAARGH!

AAARGH! A Pirate's Life For Me

Hmmmm................market share? world domination?

13. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    I just had to resurrect this one. Was it that low? Chit, why didn't I have a Chevy 454 in.....anything?

Go Path and Jenson!

Steve (4 bucks a gallon) OUCH

14. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Bought a wtb seat on clearance and was a little worried it might not be comfortable. The guy at the register said no problem if it isnt comfortable bring it back and they will either let me try something else our refund my money. awesome customer service.

15. unclepudding

unclepudding Fueled by Frosted Flakes

Derivatives Trading
    Be glad you don't have one now :(
    The truck just sits in the driveway now with sad eyes begging us to drive it...

16. mtnbkr818

mtnbkr818 Member

Performance bike stores

I went to the one in the valley yesterday to buy some shoes. The selection was terrible along with the help. I will never go there again. I would rate it as the k-mart of bike stores.

17. YvettesSherpa

YvettesSherpa Member

Environmental Protection
    I have never really liked their stores either

18. psyclerider

psyclerider Member

Photojournalist
    I went to their shop in Riverside and pretty much was ignored the whole time. Walked right back out.

19. johnnie

johnnie New Member

software engineer
    I cried the day they bought SuperGo. They got a great bike shop(s) and learn nothing from what made SuperGo successful - good service and great prices.

20. Broso

Broso Member

FF/EMT
    I walked into one of these stores with the full intention to be sized and decide which model Karokoram I was going to purchase before I got my Enduro and was helped if you would call it helped by a kid who was somewhat condescending and I'm my opinion not very knowledgeable. I'm only 26 so for a younger employee not to appeal to me is rare. He seemed like he just didn't want to be there or treat me like a serious customer, which was a mistake because I would of spent some serious cash. Overall I am much more pleased with my decision to go used and will not be using these stores in the future.