Performance Bikes - all locations/on-line (Merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Winger, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Jmatt

Jmatt Wherever I go, There I am

Ho-ray for the Path Take Off Wall, nau56din !
    Oh... to return to the days of Super Go, FV & LH rocked !

Performance Tustin have what they have in a jamb, they've actually improved some over the years but they should have matched.

2. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    Performance Bikes- Fountain Valley

just wanted to give them some props for keeping my bike rolling. i've had a couple mechanical issues the last few months, and they've always taken the time to explain the problem/options to me and fix it promptly.

today was no exception, as thad helped me with a chain issue, then took the time to tweak my der hanger, adjust the shifting, and lube the cables--all for free. and when i asked him what kind of beer he liked, he gave the appropriate response: "whatever's in front of me!" good guys.

and i know some of you are thinking "meh, it's just performance", but there was a truck with a path sticker parked there this afternoon, so i know some of you are two-timin'. :lol:

3. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    My good friend Tim - the guy who first got me into mtb - is a mechanic there. I know they are under different pressures than at some boutique shops, since they spend a lot of time assembling entry-level bikes and churning out basic repairs for the masses, plus they are under a corporate structure. But there are definitely some good people and passionate cyclists who work at some of the Performance shops (especially the locations that used to be SuperGo), and he is one of those who knows his stuff and goes above and beyond to try to make sure things are done right.

4. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    It use to be Super Go, they had some good wrenches there at that time.
    Mondo

5. minhster

minhster DNF'd

The super go guys are still there... down the street... at surf city cyclery. =)

It's funny that you mentioned that there was a truck with path stickers there because I've seen a guy that works at that Performance hang out at Surf City Cyclery and I've seen another certain employee there hanging out at a team meeting at RnR!

I'll be honest, I shop there a lot... or enough at least. They know me there pretty well. When I just need simple stuff like cables, lubes, tubes, etc. they're typically my first stop because they're the closest to me and open pretty late (9pm i think). I still like the OG crew better though, and that's why I hang out at Surf City... although I shop at RnR the most... and pick up a lot of hard to find parts at the Path... i'm confused now... lol

6. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Agree...

7. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

They have a pretty good mechanic, not sure his name, black or maybe half black guy. He always did right by me.

8. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^^ which half?

that's thad. :lol:

9. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

lol. just trying to describe which guy to go to that treated me right. poor guy was smashed up a year or so ago from a crash.

10. Parallel Films

Parallel Films Filmmaker

Home Page:
    That was me with the silver tacoma w/ "THE PATH BIKE SHOP" sticker. haha I remember you there getting your bike serviced.

11. ehansen007

ehansen007 Member

Sales Engineer- ATT
    Shout out and mad props to Performance and SRAM

After putting over 1000 miles in my Sanction's lyrik fork I was having problems with the 2 step air holding it's position. They had already replaced the Mission control under warranty 6 months ago and I hoped the would just replace the seals, change the oil and ship it back after all that use. To my surprise, the team at performance bike in Laguna Hills (who have been awesome every time I go in there) called to tell me that SRAM replaced the whole fork free of charge! The new one is even better on small bump compliance too. So plush. So thanks again to Peformance and SRAM for their excellent cust service.

12. gregOREO

gregOREO Member

Good to know, I go there when I can they are right around the corner from my house. Always great customer service. Good prices too.

13. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Member

I gave my horror story/stories a bit back in this thread but I revisited the shop a week or two ago when I needed my headset to be pressed back in and I noticed the people there were mostly new compared to two years ago and they helped me out for free, so props where props are due.

With this recent positive experience I wouldn't mind going back for items that I know will be there.

14. TMS

TMS New Member

Performance Bike Shop In Long Beach

I know there are quite a few Performance Bike shop haters out there, but I was stoked to learn they are opening a shop at the Long Beach town center. Now I don't need to drive to Costa Mesa to pick up the essentials.

15. heme11

heme11 Brake Rider

Field Tech
    That might come in handy. Hopefully their service manager will transfer over there too, that guy takes care of business.

16. tbueno

tbueno New Member

really? long beach towne center? when is it opening and where did you hear this because i don't see it on the site

17. TMS

TMS New Member

It is advertised on their latest sale mailer. The front cover says "New Store opening soon near you, see back cover for details." The back cover says the same thing but adds "7300 East Carson Street, Long Beach Town Center, watch for details at Performancebike.com." It's probably target marketed for people in the Long Beach area.

18. tbueno

tbueno New Member

oohh swweeet!

19. ARGAMA

ARGAMA Member

IT Manager
    Is there a Performance in Costa Mesa? I thought there is one in Fountain Valley, Tustin and Mission Viejo but never knew there is one in CM. I live within walking distance of the Fountain Valley store. I also got the sales mailer and saw the ad about the new store opening in LB.

One thing I learned about Performance is their retail stores actually will compete with their own online sales division. One time I ordered something from their web site because it was on sale and had it delivered to store to save on shipping. The store called me and said the item is ready for pick up. I went to the store to pick up the item and the store manager told me I should've buy from them instead of their online store. He said he will price match with their online sale price if he has the item in stock. The whole thing sounds straight to me as it seems there is competition among themselves even they are the same company. I do shop there when they have good sales.

20. TMS

TMS New Member

My bad, I meant the Fountain Valley store.