Performance Bikes - all locations/on-line (Merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Winger, Mar 28, 2007.

1. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

[​IMG]

return or exchange the shoes, i believe they have a no questions asked return policy

2. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

Glad to hear the force of your pedaling did not send you flying to side of traffic.

#-oBut how?

WARNING READ THE OWNERS MANUAL BEFORE OPERATING A BICYLE!

:read: Operate in a safe environment and speed. Strong powerful pedal strokes to gain speed can cause you to fly off your speeding vehicle.

I have been through a road bike accident, basically rear ended by a truck. I was thrown 20 feet, the bike another 20+ from where I landed. My shoes were clipped in, one shoe still on the pedals, one shoe went flying somewhere. Something broke, but it was neither the clip on the shoes nor the pedals...:-k

3. tortoise

tortoise Member

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF:beer:

4. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Yeah, not seeing how the cleat coming off could cause a large force from your pedals to send you flying? I have had my feel come un-clipped from my pedals on numerous unexpected occasions and have not have some huge force from my pedals send me flying. I also don't think some tech guy could strip the bolts that hold the cleats into your shoes. Even my nephews who is only 8 could do that correctly. Are you sure it wasn't that your chain broke? I could see how that could possibly knock you off your bike (pushing a hard gear then getting no resistance sending you legs into a 300 rpm spin could cause you to lose balance and fall off).

Well, glad you were not hurt in your accident. :?:

P.S. I go shopping at performance for little miscellaneous things and will not stop. When I want services done, I go to a real bike shop, when I want to get cleaning supplies for cheap, I go to the wal-mart of bike shops.

5. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    :?: I don't get why some of you are calling this person a liar for falling and smacking them for not doing their own work.
    When I purchase something from what is supposed to be a reputable bike shop, I expect them to do a good job.
    This person has a bone to pick and perhaps doesn't realize that Performance has a great return policy but the truth is, if they were hurt or their bike damaged due to the mechanic not doing the work properly, I think Performance should make good.
    I'm a total mechanical lame ass. After riding for almost 20 years, I can change a flat.
    After being taught innumerable times how to do a barrel adjustment, I can still change a flat!
    Anyway, that being said, Years ago I purchased shoes and cleats at the Santa Monica Performance..although then it may still have been Bikeology.
    The mechanic put the cleats on for me but somehow,he screwed it up and installed them upside down or backwards or reversed..I don't remember.:?: I just know I could'nt clip in. They fixed it and it was an ordeal. sheesh. :beer:(pelligrino)

6. velo-ceraptor

velo-ceraptor New Member

although i generally dont support chain stores (what can i say i like variety and eccentricity that local shops have)....

their tubes are always cheap!

uummm although maybe not as cheap as rubber cement and a patch.

7. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Joined to make a post bashing another bike shop and disappeared? :?: I think that was the night I woke up before they got the anal probe out! Now it makes sense!

8. nomadFF

nomadFF Member

LACoFD
    Thats why I like to support shops where the employees actually ride and work on bikes themselves. It makes a difference. ( Switchback Cyclclery for instance)Sorry to hear you wrecked, I dont support Performance anyways. Depending on where you live I am sure STR can help you find a great local shop.

9. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

I have had both great and poor experiences with Performance, overall they are decent. In this case they feel that a stripped screw was not the cause--that simple.

The experience recounted here reminds of when I did the Grand Loop with my front QR unclamped. The front was bouncing more and I was talking with my friend about it the whole way up. On the 7 mile downhill I finally got off and checked the clamp. It was a good reminder to check the screws, bolts and clamps before each ride.

In short, I'd be disappointed to a degree that the shop stripped the screws, but I have also done that before. That kind of work can be easily checked.

10. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    I would buy a car battery from Costco, but never get my car serviced there.

Lessons learned:

1. For life-depending service, go to an independent shop, even if it means a few more $$.

2. Test life-depending service in a safe environment. ie. Bike paths, emtpy parking lots, etc.

3. Performance has a bigger lawyer than you.

I'm glad that you are not seriously hurt :)

11. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    call larry h parker.

12. Performance Bikes Santa Monica

Yao is the man. He is very knowledgeable and he gets it done. Ask for YAO if you ever stop by the Santa Monica Performance Bike.

13. des

des big kahuna

Performance Bike- Tustin

I went into Performance Bike Tustin today to purchase a couple of SRAM chains. The sales person got them for me and we headed to the counter for me to pay for them. I asked if they match their competitors prices. He said YES. I whipped out a JensonUSA ad for a much lower price. He brought the ad back to the manager- DON VO who stated they do not match Jenson's prices- they are too low. I stated that there corporate policy was a price match guarantee. He stated not for Jenson and that the performancebike.com website was a different business and they would not match that price. The part that angered me the most was he stopped listening to me- GREAT MANAGER. In the worst recession I have been through in my 40+ years on this planet we are all careful about where we spend our hard earned money- IT WILL NO LONGER BE AT THIS FAUX BIKE STORE. I will spend my hard earned dollars at the PATH, Jenson etc. Boycott PERFORMACE BIKE.

14. dextera014

dextera014 New Member

The fact that they don't price match Jenson is bs, Performance in Santa Monica price matched some Kenda Nevegals for me. I showed them the Jenson ad on my phone, guy just changed the price on the register, no manager, no questions asked. That was a couple of months ago, I doubt they've changed their policy since then.

15. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I haven't tested their price match policy, but I've heard the same line about their web vs. in-store pricing (ran into that at Costco too). It drives me nuts that I can look on their web site and see one price, then drive down the street to their shop and find a "sale" price that is often higher. Why do I have to ask them to price match themselves?

I know the whole brick and mortar vs interwebs business model - I've managed a retail business - but how many potential repeat customers do they lose when the person sees the item they just bought for less on their web site? That's just a goofy way to do business.

It also doesn't impress me that I've moved three times since I first bought something there, and in about 6 tries they still haven't been able to update my address in their computer! :?:

16. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Performance in Fountain Valley matches Jensons prices for me all the time. Just bought a WTB Pure V Race about 6 weeks ago and pulled up Jenson's web ad on my cell phone and they matched it with no problems. You should put in a complaint about the manager.

17. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    It's different everytime at different stores. I would test him by getting a price similar from another site and going back just to mess with them. I've gone to the same store and gotten different results everytime. I only go for things I must have or simply because it's 200 yds from work before I go for a ride.

18. onewkdevo

onewkdevo New Member

Yup they priced match me to at laguna hills store so it's bs

19. wizard

wizard tradersancho's dad

Chemist
    +1
    Performance in Laguna Hills has never questioned any price match I have brought in. They matched a pair of Nevegals for $26 each.

20. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Don't forget the Tuesday Lunch special at Performance!:wave: