Palos Verdes Update

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by PVt, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    updates? :?::wave:

2. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    looks fine to me, just an obstacle in the way.. (jk)

3. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

got this from the Daily Breeze: Not sure if they will decide to reopen the park....and I assume the area is still closed?

RPV to discuss August wildfire Tuesday
    From staff reports
    Posted: 10/20/2009 09:28:14 AM PDT

Post-fire presentation

Rancho Palos Verdes. City staff will give a "lessons learned" presentation Tuesday night on the August fire that burned 181 acres of the Portuguese Bend Nature Preserve and 28 acres in Rolling Hills. The council will also discuss improved control of the Portuguese Bend landslide, at the request of Councilman Ken Dyda. The meeting is at 7 p.m. at Fred Hesse Community Park, 29301 Hawthorne Blvd.

4. PVt

PVt New Member

Sorry for not replying sooner. I was at the Kernville FTF.

I spoke to the executive director of the PV Land Conservancy last night. She said they want to install new signs and replace the burned ones before they reopen. That should be a few weeks.

I know everyone is frustrated about the prolonged closure. I am too, but there's nothing we can do to speed up the process. If you want your opinion heard, write the RPV city council. Please don't rant and don't email bomb them. They respond to respectful comments from individuals. Take my word for it, annoying them doesn't work.

5. PVt

PVt New Member

Tickets at Del Cerro

Yesterday I came across a biker who got a ticket in Portuguese Bend. It wasn't for trespassing, it was for riding a trail (Landslide Scarp) that is not designated for bikes.

This is the first poaching ticket I've heard about. It looks like they're getting serious about enforcement. :?:

6. jefbystereo

jefbystereo New Member

Thanks for the updates. Ill be patiently waiting for it to open.

7. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

I finally made some time to take a first hand look at what burned. It looks completely different, but as fire is a natural cycle of life, let's hope it grows back quickly and that there are no slide issues in the mean time. I too await its re-opening.

8. butasan

butasan Member

So the ranger(or sheriff?) was actually patrolling the trails?

9. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

Last year I came accross sheriffs in an all-terrain vehicle on the trails...they were looking for someone on a motorcycle. I was surprised to see anyone patrolling, but they were responding to a complaint(s) from home owners in the area. Maybe they have received enough complaints to warrant a sweep thru the trails from time to time.

On another note, does anyone know if the trails are open yet?

10. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

I know as of yesterday they were still closed so left the bike at home while in the area. If anyone has a clue when they'll be back open would love to know. I hear it just looks like a moonscape sad how long it might take to get back to how it was?

11. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

I was there the other day and it seems like the Fire roads are open....well at least there are hikers, bikers, and horses on them. All the singletracks now have signs in front of them that say they are closed...so they may be OK if you stay on the main road....but it is not going to be much fun if you can't do any singletracks.

12. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

I was told they were still closed so left home the bike?? Sorry for any misinformation thanks for the update. Well now I'm bummed I could have rode the Cizzle Saturday :)

There is some dirt close to Hawthorne Blvd. that runs behinds the homes all the way to the ocean I've done before but very loose not very scenic till the end?

13. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

I'm not 100% sure it's open, but if the whole park was closed I don't see why they would put signs at the beginning of each singletrack....but I don't know for sure. Is there a sign at the entrance of Del Cerro Park?

14. synikalsoysauce

synikalsoysauce New Member

i live right around the block, but havnt ridden there in a while. totally lame that people are disregarding posted closures and ruining the trails for everyone else. it's bad enough as it is.

15. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

16. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    :-k looks boring

17. jefbystereo

jefbystereo New Member

Truth.

But seeing as its the closest place to me, I'll take what I got! :bang:

18. pushit

pushit New Member

The facts are that the burnt areas are closed to all, bikers, hikers, horses etc and rumor is that this will last for 2 years to give the vegetation time to rebuild although as we all know this will depend greatly on rainfall in this area. Since the re-opening of the main Burma road trail and some of the lower trails last week its obvious to see that a lot of people including too many bikers are just ignoring these restrictions. Many new trails have been forged by bikers and these are very obvious from tire tracks. On Wednesday about 3:30pm this week 2 sheriffs were hanging out on the Burma rd at the bottom of the Ichi Bashi trail ticketing people ignoring the signs. As the data of offenses is gathered we do not want it all to be loaded against bikers as sooner or later this will have repercussions. As someone posted this is a close and convenient spot with beautiful scenery in which to ride and exercise. Its an area that has been purchased to preserve natural habitat and scenery for all to enjoy. Its not a recreational fun zone and we must remember that or we will loose it. Please, please as bikers stick to the current rules. I live in PV and don't want to have to drive to Santa Monica or Orange County mountains just to ride!

19. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    It's been a while since I rode del cerro... but judging by the map I think there is still descent trail...
    I want to ride it tomorrow but not sure about the legality of the trail...

here's the route I'm planning.
    Rattlesnake - Burma - the rest of the bottom area should be fine... right?
    Rattlesnake is the one that starts off of Crenshaw bl. before the Park.

20. gorillafeet

gorillafeet New Member

Aerospace
    Agreed. I actually rode there last saturday. Climbed burma road to Del Cerro....saw three idiots hucking and carving new lines through the burnt out area on the way up. I watched one of these tools yank one of the trail closure signs out and throw it down.

The oldest (dad?) of the group of tools was yelling at the youngest (13 yr old?) "hurry up I don't want no ticket from the sherriff", so they knew exactly what they were doing.

Not cool, at all. I hope these imbeciles stop, if DC closes I have to drive to Santa Monica or OC to ride.