Palos Verdes Update

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by PVt, Sep 23, 2009.

1. PVt

PVt New Member

Here's an update on Palos Verdes.

One last chance
    Things have been chaotic in RPV. The city has been dealing with all kinds of issues unrelated to trails. Consequently, the final trails plan approval has been pushed back. Right now we don’t know exactly when it will happen but we have one final chance to ask for more trails. After that, the trails plan will be reviewed each year but it will be more difficult to add trails.

Fire at Del Cerro
    In the mean time, we’ve had a huge fire that burned most of the Portuguese Bend Reserve (Del Cerro). Now it’s closed to everyone for at least a few more weeks (first week in October?) while they put your favorite signs back up. The last thing we need now is for someone to ride across the burned areas and lay down tire tracks.

Surveillance Cameras
    Someone is knocking down signs and posts and, of course, bikers catch all the blame. Before you take objection to that statement, look at the photos below, taken by automatic cameras. Yes, people will be busted for vandalism.

This s**t has to stop. All it’s doing is destroying any hope of getting trails back. It pisses off the city and they make the decisions on this stuff. The anger is understandable but this is playing into the hands of the anti-bike element.

[​IMG]

2. ptfmb71

ptfmb71 New Member

Thanks for the update. Where can I find out information as to when it will open up again. Why people take down signs I will never understand

3. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    Thanks for the update also, but what the F* are they thinking?
    and whats this rumor that I hear that Land Conservancy ppl bought del cerro and will be shut down from all hikers and bikers? can you shed light to this rumor? :?:

j.

4. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Thanks for the updates the "Cizzle" is the only local dirt to Torrance I get to play on when I visit family there. Please let us know when and where our presence may be needed to support the opening of more trails. We apreciate all you've done for the dirt people :) we saw first hand how brutal and frustrating those meetings can be.
    Was very sad watching it burn
    :-s

5. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    That is crazy! Surveillance cameras? Really? I've never seen them. Those pictures are hilarious, "it's always mountain bikers!".

Pvt - Do you know:
    1) who is paying for these cameras? (If the PVLC is paying for them, is most of their funding coming from private residents? I'm curious because these cameras seem totally over the top unnecessary and probably a contribution from some wealthy residents?)

2) where were these pictures taken (what trail)?

3) where did you find these photos? Can you provide a link?

Thank you very much.

6. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    ^^^ Guilty? lol j/k :D

7. PVt

PVt New Member

Who's in charge here?
    The city actually owns the property and the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy is under contract to manage it. They have regular meeting with the city to report what they see and map out a plan together. This isn’t just about trail issues. It includes habitat restoration, grants to pay for work, and emergency issues like the fire. The city ultimately makes all decisions and directs the conservancy.

The conservancy does not decide who gets to use which trails. They put up signs and barriers as directed by the city.

It fire was a sad event but in reality it’s part of the natural cycle. Nature is incredibly resilient and will be back in business soon. The city will determine when to reopen Del Cerro. I heard a “rumor” that it could be Oct.3rd. No guarantees on this one.

It’s nice to hear from all of you! I know a lot of people are discouraged, some are mad as hell. I want everyone to know that we have not given up. Things are in place to get several trails back, maybe more. I just wish everyone who has been disobeying the rules could understand that they are feeding the opposition. I stand up to ask the city for more trails and end up answering for bikers behaving badly. Please help me help you!

8. PVt

PVt New Member

I was shown copies that were shared with the Sheriffs Department. I felt it would be helpful to warn riders before someone gets busted, and it might stop the counterproductive acts.

I know the trail but that’s irrelevant. I wasn’t told who took the photos, but that’s probably irrelevant too. I would love to shout, “It wasn’t us”. We know other trail users disobey the rules too. I’ve made the city aware of it dozens of times. But they’re not the ones begging for more trails, and they’re not the ones who have devoted opponents documenting every misstep.

9. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Ok, thanks.
    I guess I misunderstood your original post. However, you said "automatic cameras", and that's confusing. I guess these photos were taken by a few or one trail user(s) with a pocket camera? Please clarify. I would be truly shocked to learn there are hidden surveillance cameras out there. Thanks for the info, I'm just trying to figure out whats real and what's rumour.

10. PVt

PVt New Member

The series of photos I saw were taken from a fixed postition, as opposed to handheld. I guess it could have been automatic or set off remotely.

11. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    another sad part is that most of the rider that DO disobey Del cerro rules does not even visit this board or any other boards.... I have talked to them and informed which is ride-able (in a nice way), yet they continue to do it... :(

12. guero

guero iFroth

the best part about these photos is the fact that none of them show downhillers tearing down the fences. i spy lycra clad xc weenies and some weekend warrior looking folk. i bet many people pointed fingers at the DHers as the root of much of the vandalism...i love that the lycra clad guys were caught on tape/film!

13. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    ^^^ I was gonna point that out too... but I didn't want to stir new shit ;)

I'm one of those that ride del cerro with a FF and with 8" fork :D

14. tekknics12

tekknics12 New Member

I'm a designer in the Apparel and action sports In
    Thanks for the update!..
    I can't believe they have Surveillance cameras over there!..
    Whats next Invisible Trip beams that alert the PD or Rangers?
    maybe they'll put a 24 hour Satellite camera from Nasa on those Trails
    They can really catch the people who go off trail!...

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I think it was those damn DH'ers dressing up like xc weenies trying to throw them off the fact that they were really DH'ers tearing it up again:lol:

16. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    So is PV open to public again? Not that it matters now since I still see a gang of hikers and riders right after the fire :?:

17. PVt

PVt New Member

Del Cerro Closure Update

Reopening will be sometime after Oct 14. Oh well...

Message from the land conservancy:
    Due to fire damage, the Reserve will remain closed until further notice. PVPLC has continued to coordinate with the City of Rancho PalosVerdes on post-fire responses. PVPLC is also developing a multi-phased plan to guide restoration and monitoring efforts. The City is working on a plan for supplemental signage to better advise the public on access restrictions.

Though resources are limited, the Sheriff will continue to patrol the closure for safety reasons, with citations issued to individuals in violation of the closure. Our next fire recovery meeting with the City is October 14th, where additional information may become available.

18. PVt

PVt New Member

Important RPV Election - please help

There’s an important election coming up on November 3rd. Two new RPV city council members will be elected.

The city council is responsible for all policy regarding trails in the Palos Verdes Nature Preserve.

If you live in RPV, you need to know which candidates will reflect your views. If you live elsewhere, you can still help by contacting RPV voters you may know.

Please email me through this forum link.

19. jefbystereo

jefbystereo New Member

So was there any announcement on the 10/14 meeting?

20. OCRaider

OCRaider Member

Looks like civil disobedience to me.....