Palm Canyon Epic Trail conditions (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by BC3, Apr 8, 2010.

1. BC3

BC3 New Member

Consulting
    Has anyone been on the trail lately that could report the conditions? When does the Death Wash become too unbearable?

2. solo_rider

solo_rider New Member

I'll be riding the whole enchilada tomorrow and will report back.

3. evdog

evdog Member

If the wash becomes unbearable just skip it and take Vanderventer. You miss out on HBV but still get in the lower stuff without the suffering of the wash (well, most of it). 3 weeks ago there when I rode it there was still lots of water in all the creek beds and some real nasty mud near the willows up top. And, for those who haven't heard, Art smith has been sanitized #-o

4. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    After Vanderventer, hang a right on Dunn road and grind up to hahn buena vista. Saves more energy than doing the sand wash. Climb is about the same, but not sandy and a little shorter (longer if you count the Vanderdenter trail, but that is real fun S/T so it doesnt count as a grind)

5. BC3

BC3 New Member

Consulting
  6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

7. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    From the map it looks to me like "Point P" is where he's labelled it Cathedral Canyon Trail hitting Dunn Road.
    Looks to me like Cat Cyn is in red and Vanderenter is green. Though, Cat Cyn might also be considered Vandy. Those two meeting at PC-34 near Point O.
    I've never been exactly there, just going by the map.

8. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I believe that's correct. The trails join each other around the bottom of HBV if I remember correctly.

Either way, from the beginning of the sand wash go about 3/4 mile and there is a sign post for the trail on the left. Just keep going on that trail and you'll eventually make your way to Dunn Rd.

9. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Genius.....sheer genius..... :beer:

10. CalEpic

CalEpic member

The section of Dunn road you'll need to climb up to reach the Oasis is no picnic. Sand wash or Dunn Rd. Pick your poison. If the wash is rideable, I think it's a better route.

11. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife

+1 on the wash. Even if it is not rideable, then i would still prefer to HAB it than climb Dunn Road. It is a very brutal climb indeed.

12. kanga

kanga Active Member

When did this sanitization take place?

13. solo_rider

solo_rider New Member

BC3,

I did the Palm Canyon Epic yesterday. Amazing ride. There was a lot of water still in Palm Canyon off Indian P. trail. Enough to jump into! After a 20 minute swim break we headed for Dry Wash. Dry wash is ridable--its actually very compact right now. I didn't do the whole wash because I took Van. trail to Buena Vista. I had never done the Van. trail before so I wanted to check it out. Its actually very short and mostly like the connector trail (the name escapes me) from the bottom of Buena Vista to Dunn Road.

Beware that the trail has become very warm at the lower elevations. At about Indian P. trail it became noticably warm out and I started burning water fast (even after going for a swim). We were the only riders out there all day. Towards the end of the ride (I headed out via the goat trails) it was probably 88F plus direct sunlight. I went through 140oz of water and was still a little dehydrated after the ride. One of our riders almost had heat stroke but it turns out he wasn't conditioned for longer rides, especially in warmer weather. My buddy and I were fine but just make sure that if you're not used to riding in the heat to wait to do this epic until the fall of the year.

Another thought is to bring a water filter and stop at Indian P. creek to refill with at least 100oz of water to get you through the rest of the trail. If you start to feel like crap its best to bail via Dunn road to get out of the desert ASAP.

14. evdog

evdog Member

Sometime between my last two rides, early December and mid-March. The work was extensive, so it probably took a fair bit of time. They've removed a lot of rock to smooth out the trail, and they've filled some fun chutes and other depressions with loose DG gravel. And that fun technical descent near the end? Well its not so technical any more.... I've also heard they were starting to work in the Goat trails too but I didn't notice much if any work in mid January when I last rode that part.

15. osmarandsara

Maybe they figure if they make the trail too easy the mountain bikers won't ride there anymore...:lol:

16. evdog

evdog Member

I don't know what they're thinking. While they obviously didn't consult the mtb community (not that any shops in Palm springs do any advocacy) I don't see how this work would make much if any difference for hikers. Maybe the lone equestrian who left poop the whole length of the trail appreciates it?

17. osmarandsara

Palm Canyon Epic conditions

Gabriel (Fearless Fly) and I rode the Palm Canyon epic today. Conditions were awesome. The creek crossings were easy, we both avoided wet feet by some really easy boulder hopping. The dirt was tacky, and all the trails escaped the carnage handed out by last week's storm. Only Indian Potrero had some ruts here and there, and we even had to bunny-hop a small sink-hole (no kidding). The Death Wash was still damp from last night's rain and was 100% ridable for Gabriel...I on the other hand still had to do some walking..

Our route was Pinyon Pines campground to Palm C. Trail to Indian P. to the Death Wash to Dunn Rd to Mike's Oasis. Then Hahn BV to the cutoff back to Dunn then jumped back in to Wildhorse. We skipped Murray Peak/Clara Burgess and rode the ridgeline trail instead.

We finished on the goat trails were somewhere I made a wrong turn and ended up at a homeless camp along the Dunn Rd. flood drainage channel 8-[ (sorry Gabriel).

It was overcast for most of the ride with the sun peeking out here and there but no rain.

sorry pics not really in order, I'm done fiddling with the pic upload app.....

looking dreary on the fwy

165001.jpg

a little chilly at Pinyon Camp but not too bad
    166001.jpg

169001.jpg

We didn't see any cattle
    175001.jpg

First creek crossing

176001.jpg

2nd Creek Crossing
    182001.jpg

start of Hahn BV
    196001.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    Palm Canyon Epic Trail conditions

Okay, I'm hearing the conditions on this trail are currently, absolutely prime. I'm having difficulty believing this because of all the bad weather we've had lately. Combine that with the recent wind advisories and cold fronts coming with the approaching storm cell, and I imagine riding the trail this weekend might make me a good candidate for the "I shouldn't be alive" program. Any thoughts or ride reports would be vastly appreciated...vastly.:-k:wave:

19. gray

gray Tree Hugger

Graphic Designer
    I know of a couple guys that will be riding it tomorrow... :?:

20. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    I am sure the water crossings will be deep, you might be replacing your bottom bracket after this ride. Have fun