Ride Report Palm Canyon Epic - Our Way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Palm Canyon Epic - Our Way 2-9-2013

I make at least one trip out to Palm Canyon each year. Usually around this time. This year I decided to expand my invite list and lead some riders to pop that Palm Canyon cherry.

Best part of scheduling this ride at this time of year means that the weather is usually really nice. 4 weeks ago we put this on the books. 10 days ago the long range weather forecast looked to be another gorgeous winter day out there. As the date got closer, the weather began to change. Good chance of rain in the OC. No problem, it doesn't rain in Palm Springs. I had to remind myself that this ride covers more than just Palm Springs. How would the weather be high up on the mountain to start the ride? Kept checking the weather every hour.... 8-[ Closest weather station I could find was up at Mountain Center a few miles above Pinyon Flats Campground. Rain turning to snow overnight.....chains required for SR 74 from SR79 to 6 miles up from Pinyon Rd. Uh, oh.....we start at Pinyon road...will it be open? 8-[ We were scheduled to meet at the Von's at 8am....no problem, it would be a cool 46 degress in the parking lot.....problem was, it was 28 degree up top. So we decided to meet an hour later. 50 degrees at the Von's felt great. Got the shuttle all sorted out and headed up. :clap:

Everything was going good on the way up......watched the temperature drop on the thermometer. At about 3000' we began to see the snow....and a good amount. #-o Good news was the road was clear. Finally we reached the top. There were already some other cars parked there. Got out of the trucks to be blasted by a heavy wind and temps in the the mid 30's. #-o We all bundled up and hurried to get moving.

Figured that it would warm up as soon as we reached the creek crossing about 20 minutes into the ride.

Finally, 11 of us were off. Immediately there was snow on the ground.....anywhere from just a trace to a couple of inches. Felt nice to be moving. We all started to warm up. Snow wasn't causing any issues on the ride, actually made it kind interesting and added to fun....especially on the areas that had some exposure. 15 mins in or so, the snow would begin to disappear.....and with that the temps began to rise. :clap:

We would make numerous stops to shed layers.

image1.jpeg

Trail was in great shape. Creek was completely dry.

Warned everybody that every plant out there wanted to tear your skin off.....they all learned that pretty quick.

All was great through the upper canyon....we were at Indian Portrero before I knew it. Stopped at the Stone Pools for a snack. Again, bone dry. Really is pretty there when the water is flowing.

20130209_123927.jpg

image3.jpeg

20130209_123918.jpg

20130209_123938.jpg

Soon we were off and heading into the chunkier part of the ride. Warned everybody to stay in the middle of the trail....bad things tend to happen when you get off the trail. Shortly before the wash we had our first incident. Larry would drag his ankle through a couple of tight rocks cutting him open pretty good. He got wrapped up best we could and we would be off......looks like Palm Canyon strike again. Larry would end up with 12 stitches. Twas merely a flesh wound......we ended up not having to amputate out on the trail. :lol:

image10.jpeg

By now the temps had warmed up just nicely....this is what I was expecting...temps in the low to mid 60's...but felt much much warmer than that. Next up we reached the Sand Wash of Death......I failed to put this in my ride description when I put it out. Everyone was about to be in for a shock....or would they. Been up the wash many times...and gotta say, never have I seen it in better condition. Nicely packed for about 85% of the way. This is great.....I won't kill everyone here. We regrouped at the end of the wash and Dunn Rd.

This is where we had our only mechanical.....slow leak in a tire, so we used that as our break and changed the flat. No wonder why the wash seems to hurt so bad when you ride it....you gain 700' in just under 3 miles....you really see when you get to the top and look back. :drunk:

We skipped the stop at Mike's Oasis and continued up to Hahn Trail. Again the trail was in great shape. Some were starting to tire a bit, but we still had a ways to go. Promised a great view of the Coachella Valley at the top of Hahn Trail..and it didn't disapoint.

image4.jpeg

photo (2).JPG

photo.JPG

We headed down Buena Vista.....everyone was really diggin' it....made the climb up the wash worth it.

This is where Rox would learn how to go OTB on her bike. #-o She would be the only crash of the day. Yeah, she was fine.

image7.jpeg

image6.jpeg

We reached Vandveterer/Fern tail shortly.....had some people with some tired legs, but the climbing would soon be over. Jumped off Dunn Rd and headed up towards Clara Burgess and Garstin Trail. Really like how fast and flowy and rollercoaster like this section is.

We discovered a trail a few trips back and it has been our go to for our exit ever since. You head off toward Wildhorse Trail and go left.

It drops down some steep switchbacks behind the Floppy Hat house and drops you into the Araby Cove Trailer park.

We finally reached the top of our last climb.....all down hill from here. :bang: :bang: :bang:

image2.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Someone has done a massive amount of trail work on the Araby Trail....it was in excellent condition. :clap:

We exited the trailer park and headed back to Von's. Got back to the parking lot for beer.....

Lots of Smiles for the Miles. ;) ;) :lol: ;) :lol:

28 miles / 2450' of climbing

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=64909

So what looked to be a bust of a day on Friday....turned out to be a beautiful day in the desert on Saturday.... What a great ride. \\:D/

Everyone had a blast, and now 8 more riders are no longer Palm Canyon Newbies.

Sorry about the lack of ride pictures....we were having waaaaayyyy too much fun to stop for pictures.

trailninja likes this.
  2. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Niiiiiiice! I still haven't ridden out there; next time you have room for another Palm Canyon Virgin, let me know, eh? :wave:

3. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    As a participant in this ride .... I will simply say it was freakin awesome , great day and some really and I mean really fun sections. New bike performed flawlessly , for me the weather was perfect, I could see where it could get really hot... And for the record would not ride without tubeless setup ... My tires and the leeetle cholla balls had several encounters and this is a no guide no ride ride!

Thanks J for being the guide!

4. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    There wasn't one section I didn't like! My favorite was the big rocky section before lunch; just wish I wasn't so fatigued by the end of the ride so I could have enjoyed all those endless switchbacks.

J, you can pop my cherry anytime - where's our next ride? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  5. mtnbikej

Whoa..........this is a family show.:lol:

I will have think about another ride.

6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    I haven't done Noble yet...hint hint.

7. Mexi"can" MTB

Mexi"can" MTB New Member

System Integration Test Manager, Computer Storage
  8. mtnbikej

9. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    Excellent report and looks like fun, but isn't this where you had your misadventure a couple of years ago? I've ridden parts of the trail, now want to ride the entire route.

10. mtnbikej

Yup.......but I keep coming back. It is too fun of a ride to avoid for that.

11. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    How was the trail in the upper two plateaus? Does the brush need trimming or was it manageable?
    Didn't you bust your leg on Art Smith 2 years ago?
    Craig

12. mtnbikej

I broke it about a mile before Indian Potrero.

Had zero issues with brush on any of the ride.

13. MemBrain

MemBrain Bone Healer

Bio Manipulator
    Will this ride still be good enough to ride with the weather in early May?

14. jbk

jbk Member

I rode it last week, it was about 90F in the valley during the day. It could easily be in the high 90s to 100s in May. If you can, I'd try to do it sooner rather than later.

15. hillharman

hillharman New Member

I wouldn't do it unless it is really anomalously cold. Even mid 70s can feel scorching out there. It is a very unique ride in how much energy it can take out of you.

16. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    This is spot-on in my opinion. I've only ridden this area twice, but once it was sunny and in the mid 70's and felt uncomfortable. The sand wash sapped energy like I've never experienced. I can't imagine doing this when it's hotter.

17. mtnbikej

I rode it mid-May a few years ago.....started cold at the top.....by the time we got to the sand wash it was pushing 95 degrees....and felt a hell of a lot warmer than that.

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Would be a epic full moon night ride. Time the wash to ride after the sun set.

19. dssgaffler

dssgaffler Complete Sellout

No. Don't even consider it. April has proven to be too late for many.

20. mtnbikej

We have thought about doing it the opposite way......starting really really early and finishing just after sunrise.