Outspoken in Sunset/Huntington Beach

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by xhuskr, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    wow joined 2 days ago and pulls up an old thread and bash's...way to introduce yourself to the forum....

2. Out-Spoke-n

Out-Spoke-n New Member

Hi Joytron,

Just came across your post and firstly I'd like to apologize if you felt unwelcomed in our shop. We take our service very seriously and enjoy dealing with our customers, so I'm certain that it was not intentional if you were picking up any bad vibes! - We're a pretty laid back group of folks here :) Nonetheless, we are still human beings and if it happens that you felt poorly served, then I sincerely apologize.

As for the fork installation pricing, I'm sorry that there was some miscommunication. Also, forgive me if I don't remember your situation as you explained it as we perform quite a bit of service here. As far as I can tell, it's completely reasonable to have been quoted $20 for a straight install of a fork. However, keep in mind that additional things like setting a crown race, headset install, cutting & threading a steertube, adding stem spacers, adjusting/installing cable to fit, etc. - These little things can easily bring the cost of labor and small parts to $50. We do our best to gauge and quote service over the phone, but as is often the case, we ultimately cannot tell what will be involved until your bike is in front of us. As for our turnaround time, this is something that is continually changing depending on the workload and backlog of service here. It is possible to have been estimated a 24hr turnaround time, but fast-forward a week later and our workload might just have pushed that turnaround time to 4-5 days.

Again, I apologize for any mix-ups and hope you understand our position. We'd love to have you back at the shop to let us serve you again!

PS - Anybody near the SF Valley up for meeting to ride on Tuesday morning? Was thinking of doing a short ride from dirt Mulholland to the missile site and back. Been riding nothing but road lately and need to play in the dirt! ](*,)

3. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife

You bought a fork on line to save a few bucks, take it to a random local bike shop to be fitted, complain about what they will charge you for fitting a fork not purchased from them, to a bike not purchased from them and then flame them on line?
    You say you worked in a customer service/ sales position. Ask your self this: If someone contacted you about servicing or working on a product not purchased from you, and fitting to it brand new parts that you had made no profit on, that they had got cheaper from one of your competitors and then started complaining about poor service and expensive pricing, what would you have said and how would you have reacted in your job?

That they even considered working on your bike seems like good service to me.

If you want good customer service from your local bike shop, then at least have the courtesy to buy the parts from them and let them make a living too. Being stingy has its price.

4. patkel

patkel STR

Just moved to Seal Beach and need a LBS. I'll stop by Out-spoke-n.

Thanks xhuskr

5. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    pm me for rides(brews)

6. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    I had Outspoken change out my BB, and have been trying out WTB saddles. Great people. Although I'm allergic to cats, they have a cool shop cat, named, shop cat. Great service.

7. SlickShoe671

SlickShoe671 New Member

I called 20 mins before closing looking for Avid brake fluid. They didnt have any but said they can hook me up with a cup of FinishLine DOT. I didn't go for it but it was nice of them to offer.

8. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Cool - another Yeti fan. I've got two myself - an 09 575 and an 09 303R-DH, both team turquoise. There are a lot of great bikes out there, but I love my Yetis. Good luck with your shop. Treat people right and word of mouth will spread faster than wildfire.

9. Out-Spoke-n

Out-Spoke-n New Member

We'll keep doing our best to provide the best service possible! And we appreciate the feedback - Both good and bad.

Mongo - Let us know how the saddles are working out. We have more here for you to test!

Slickshoe671 - Happy to offer the complimentary cup-o-dot. Hope you were able to get the supplies you needed. In case you didn't, we now have the Avid stuff in stock.

herzalot - Great to see another Yeti fan on here! There's nothing sweeter than the site of turquoise!

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

This forum is for bike shop reviews...

This is not for listing sale ads......that needs to be done in the Vendor forum.

Surf City Cyclery just got nailed for doing the same ths.

11. heme11

heme11 Brake Rider

Field Tech
    I live in Seal Beach, I passed This shop up on my last training ride (road bike) and noticed it for the first time. I am going to stop by saturday and have them check out my aging fox 32 rl.

12. Mongo

measurement tech.
    Great lbs

We hear gripes about LBS', and everyone plugs the PATH and FB (Both great shops) But here'a another one that's worth going to.

For those of you that haven't tried this place yet, OUT SPOKEN in Sunset Beach is GREAT! they just rued a wheel for me. Great service, fast turn around, and all around great staff. They may not have everything there, but they have had what I need. No hard sell, and very knowledgeable. They are on PCH by Anderson street.

13. guero

guero iFroth

good to know. i just drove by there right now.

btw, there is a thread for bike shop reviews, im sure a global mod will move this over there.

14. Mongo

measurement tech.
    yeah. I tried to put it there. It wouldn't let me. .said I was unauthorized. WTF?!

OH.. on a second note. there's a decent farmers market in their lot on Saturdays. FWIW

15. dirtsnack

dirtsnack Member

cad/cam and cnc's
    Nevermind

16. fatguy1

fatguy1 Active Member

owner of auto detail co.
    i went there with mongo a while back....super nice people. i will do some bizz with them also.