Race Report Oth 5 2013...

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by thomaswildchild, Jun 18, 2013.

1. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    Charge your camera at work I thought, Left the bat in the truck i did... FAIL. #-o#-o#-o#-o#-o#-o#-o

Still had fun cheering on this week.

2. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    Bacon

3. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Having fun drinking a Heineken and watching my boy race. These kids are serious. Vincent takes the lead around the first corner. So excited. His friend Ryan right there in 2nd.
    015b.jpg

A few sips later .....1st place, and he's doing it with platform pedals and a BMX helmet. :?:
    021b.jpg

Ryan ends up in 4th this time, not bad for a kid thats been MTB'n for only a year. Soon!
    Good times hanging out with Reynaldo and Tammy cheering our kids on.:clap::clap::clap:

4. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Mmmmm...Bacon!

Wanted some, but I think I might have hurled. Disappointed in my finish, but had a great time. Raced with another B3 for most of the race. He'd get me on the climbs, I'd get him someplace else. Stalked him for 3/4 of the last lap, came out of the singletrack section by the parking lot and made my moveā€¦about 50 yards too soon. Ran out of steam in the final sprint to the finish, and he got me a few yards before the line. Yeah, we were racing for 25th or thereabouts, but it was a hoot!

Gotta figure out the starts, though. Hauling my lardass up the climbs is tough enough, but at the start my heart rate spikes and my legs feel like they weigh 100lbs. each. I feel like total crap for the first 10 minutes before I hit my groove. Maybe I need to do some jumping jacks while waiting for the start.

5. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I heard something went weird with part of the kids race, like half of some groups taking a wrong turn thus putting a bunch of kids in front of others who did the whole course...not sure, heard this from others. Also surprised at the results. It's all for fun anyway, so no biggie.

Now, on to my "success". This was my first race in S4 after my crash and subsequent infection at the May 28 race. My goal was to finish and not crash (as it always is) but I really meant it this time. I wore an elbow guard over my still-healing elbow. I was still feeling pretty cooked after Saturday's Big Ring Century (I did the metric/62 mile course). Again, I got no preride or warm up and fell off the back pretty early. You know, there's this peace one gets knowing that whoever passes you doesn't matter as you're the last in your group. I think I took that as far as I could finishing last overall on the long course tonight--I mean no one else was out there. I had a huge helping of bacon at The Path tent which helped sooth the pain. Good times. How about those horns, lol?

EDIT: No hard feelings at all but I want to give credit to my daughter for her effort, so I claim an unofficial 1st Place for Ava in last night's Girls 6-8 race (they say she got 6th). I checked a sequence of race photos and kids' times and she was way ahead of the others. She even beat the 9-11 girls' times. Four firsts in a row!

EDIT 2: I just saw that I wasn't last! I was second to last, lol!!!

6. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

man when you came up that hill on the second lap you looked so fresh it was like you hit another gear. Great job.

7. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Your cheering was a turbo boost!

8. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Good times tonight...really dig the vibe at these races. Had a lot of fun racing and seeing some guys I haven't seen in a while. Raced beginner 1 and placed 9th, which I'm pretty happy about considering it's only the second XC race I've ever done, after the Enduro Stuff event last month. I'll be shooting for top 5 next week then maybe a bump up to Sport if my fitness can handle it, I was pretty worked by the end of 2 laps...

props to the Path for the bacon handouts, that was pretty awesome.

9. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Bacon and The Path. My 2 favorite things.

10. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Another great race. There was an issue with the kids race. I was directing groms into the finish chute and talked with the Linked organizers as it was going down. My son left near the end of the 6-8 group, and came back (with a bunch of others who had all gotten confused and taken a wrong turn) ahead of all but Vincent and a few others in the 9-11 class. They knew there was an issue, but there was no way to figure out where kids should have been placed so the scoring got all messed up. Bottom line is they are a small volunteer group trying to do a job that really requires more people. I suggested they talk with the shop of the week to get some of the volunteers to help direct traffic; as most of the volunteers don't have jobs until the kids race is over anyway. It's difficult because the course is marked for the "big kids" race and the grom race takes different turns. This can cause confusion and once one kid makes a wrong turn everyone else (like they're told to do) just follows.
    Vincent killed it again coming in minutes ahead of the pack. Bacon and the horns were hilarious, and it was fun to see how many takers we could get. I got the chance to hand out 30% glasses and it was super cool congratulating the racers and seeing the dirty smiles on their faces. My daughter burst into tears when it was time to leave......she just can't get enough of Ava. Great job again to all the people who put this on. I'm really enjoying getting to know all these behind the scenes people; an awesome bunch!
    Oliver OTH_6_18_13.jpg
    My little guy. I love that this year he has really gotten pumped up about biking. Makes mommy so happy :)

11. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    That is so awesome Kelly!! I'm still so jealous of you guys that have kids that mtb!! On the volunteer note: I can volunteer at the groms race since my kids are out of school now so my evenings are free. Let me know. Grego: Vincent came up to me and told me he placed 1st again, his third time in a row...love that kid!!

12. Jack

Jack Member

The bacon station and vuvuzelas courtesy of The Path keeping the fun factor legit. Nice meeting you Kelly and awesome Walmart fat bike. Congrats on your little ones. Looking forward to day to watch my twins ride. As for me, I was DNF; lost front wheel on steep down and got ran over. Lost my mojo. But it was nice spectating and cheering.

13. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
  14. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Bacon.

Boy that was fun plus I heard those horns all over the race course.

Thanks everyone that cheered, accepted the bacon hand ups, made those horns "sing" lol, helped volunteer on the course and made last night one for books!

In all seriousness I could not quit smiling seeing all the rowdiness even though I was hurting on the CX rig but the basket kept it real:bang:

15. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Roxanne, you were there last night?! Why didn't I see you?

16. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    Any issues with poison oak this week?

17. The Cutter

The Cutter New Member

Big shout out to the guys that handed me a beer as I passed through the finishing shoot.

18. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    I saw you at the finish line. Good work!! I was hangin w/ Leigh and her daughter for a bit then left after the last riders came in.

19. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

well I didn't see either one of you, and I was holding the B3/B4 sign right in front of the WB's!!! All these peeps there and I missed them all....

20. mtnbikr

mtnbikr Member

This was the first time we came out and my daughter raced the grom class. I don't want to sound too negative but if they can collect $10 a head for 15+ kids, the least they could do is get their sh!t together and have some course marshalls out there. I reject the 'volunteer' notion - these guys are pulling in a boatload in reg fees, they can afford to get a marshall or 2 at key junctions.

I was somehwat frustrated with the registration as the signage was weak or small at best and when I asked about the course they said just follow the blue cones. So we took a prelap and did just that. Then during the race all the groms did the shortcut mentioned. There wasn't a course official in sight. My daughter was confused, heck so was I.

I tried to reinforce the just for fun thing and I will say it was a very supportive and encouraging atmosphere but this first taste left a bad taste in my mouth.