Orange County Bicycle Garage

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Revalimage, May 29, 2010.

1. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    K - I just tested their services, I will be BACK! They are there to help you, guide and explain. I have a bike stand now and all the tools, but this place gives me someone objective who works on ALL kinds of bikes.

I have friends that can help, but timing if difficult and I hate to impose. These guys are there when I need it (time of day) and do the work, supervise me or just give quick checks when needed.

After attempting to finish building a bike for the first time on my own, moving existing components to the new frame and tweaking was doable (had to replace the RD tho - thanks Tani).

It was building a new drive train on the Tracer the stumped me, got it all but couldn't get the FD working right. Even one of my "helpers" was dumb founded. This garage is very close to home, was going to have to make special time to get to the path, so I gave these guys a call.

The workstations are big VERY nice and have all the tools you'll need. Corey was great working with me to explain some things I could do differently and the reasoning behind it. Turns out the FD wasn't working correctly anyway and has to go back, so we decided lose the SRAM FD and go with an XT, which they had in stock, VERY reasonable rates.

I even found the basket liner for my beach cruiser, and it was $8 cheaper than I could find it for online, and in a print I liked better.

FYI - they're offering great deals on custom order stuff (anything that they don't have in stock). Order your parts and bring the bike to install. ++ free patch kit and water bottle with service. I can see this place being fun to hang out at too.

And I think I have a Gary Fisher HT that will wonder down for consignment, they offer 30 days service on bikes bought there. Also, there is a great Kona Stinky a triple crown fork there for a great price.

I think this shop is a Great idea, and I really hope they survive. I used to take my bikes to a big chain LBS until some questionable stuff happened. The Path is still my place of choice when it's over my head...these guys are so close and they are riders too.

Check them out, you won't be disappointed!

2. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    It's a very regular stop for me - and I've run into some familiar faces while there. Cory tolerates all my crazy questions and always offers help and suggestions too.

3. templar

templar Member

Database, UNIX consultant
    Just took my bike in today (for the first time) to get a brake bled and rear pads replaced, and could not be happier!! It was all done at an awesome price and with a very quick turnaround. The LBS' in the area quoted over double the cost with a 3 - 7 day turnaround. I would definitely go back for all my repairs.

4. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    The mechanic at OC Bike Garage is a very down to earth and honest guy who knows his stuff, and their rates are the best I've found. Just as important, you probably won't have to wait a great deal of time to get your bike back. I'll be taking my bike here for tune-ups from now on. They also help people sell their used bikes - and I also want to take one of their hands-on workshop classes!

5. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    I took their Advanced Bike Mechanic Class in February. Best $175 I've spent and my road bike is now in the best shape its ever been in.

If you are thinking about learning some bike mechanic skills and getting that Park Tool Certification, take the class.

6. drksun

drksun New Member

cory is nice guy, I called asked if he could order/had this small part I needed for my brake hose (they cost like 0.25), I forget what they're called but its basically this little circular washer that compresses onto the hose and seals the hose to the caliper. Anyway he told me to come by and If he had the right size It's mine for free. I would have easily paid a few bucks for it, as I would have had to order it online at pay $5-$10 minimum for shipping. I'm having all more work done their from now on, his rates are also cheaper than the local shops.

I'd like to take his park tool bike repair class and learn how to work on my own bike, hopefully he has another class in the near future.

7. mmcverry

mmcverry New Member

Website Developer
    Amazing service from OC Bike Garage

Hi Guys,

I don't do product or shop reviews very often but I felt compelled to write about the amazing service I had from OC Bike Garage.

I brought my Jamis in on 6/9/11 for a tune up including hub overhauls and a brake bleed. Cory was out of the shop but Kelly up front was able to answer all the questions promptly and assured me everything would be taken care of.

A few days go by and I pick up the bike a few hours before a race (Over The Hump). Cory explains to me all the service done on the bike, INCLUDING new shifter cables and housings which they threw in because they said mine were toast.

I didn't have time to test the bike out but took them at their word.
    During the race, all I could think of was WOW. My bike was PERFECT. Hitting shifting FAST and SMOOTH- I swear it was better than new.

These guys really know what they're doing. The fact that they went ahead and changed me cables and housings just to get the bike perfect shows how much they really care for their work. Most shops will only work on what you've signed for on paper, however these guys know the importance of a perfectly tuned bike. I like that about them.

That's all. Way to go OC Bike Garage. You've earned a customer for life.

-Mike

8. el cap

el cap Active Member

+1 on OC Bike Garage.

Cory and Kelly are nice peeps and the service is very quick.

9. stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Member

never heard of this shop. where is it?

10. el cap

el cap Active Member

11. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Cory is the best!! I think there is a thread around here somewhere about them. He has stayed late on a Friday to ensure I would have a bike to ride Saturday morning - and I didn't drop it off until 2:30ish!

12. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    Cory and Kelly are great peeps and Cory knows his way around just about any bike component you put in front of him!

I took their Park Tool Intermediate Mechanic Certification class in March and Cory is a very patient and knowledgeable teacher as well.

13. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Agreed - they are cool peeps, and they hooked me up with a great bottle of Chianti!

14. guero

guero iFroth

im thinking of going and checking this place out soon!

15. BTro321

BTro321 New Member

Mechanical Designer
    I just took my bike here for a tune. Very good service! Fast too. Cory is a cool guy.

16. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

*Cory and Kelly are cool people! :wave:
    *Corey knows his stuff!

*The good people at OC Bike Garage donated a prize to this year's Weight Loss Challenge! :clap:

*I have yet to hear a negative review...

Continued success!

17. jbbarrette

jbbarrette New Member

Risk Control
    Yup, brought my bike there a few times after I crashed, needed new parts or just screwed something up. You can either stay there and fix it yourself with Cory's help or just drop it off and pick it up later. Even had my FOX fork redone by him. Service is excellent and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy! Props for sure for this shop! Check out Groupon in the fall too, he usually has a tune-up special on there!

18. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Just gave these guys a shot last week because they're so close to my office and I heard good things, and I had a great experience.

Very nice people and very thorough and conscientious. Picked my bike up Friday night, showing up just before 6pm, but wound up spending half hour or more there. Cory was still tweaking my bike, so I browsed their inventory, etc. He meticulously went through the gears, brakes, making subtle adjustments even though it was looking great to me. He did two test rides, making some final minor adjustments after the first ride then confirming it was good with one last ride.

Some people might have minded waiting, but I found it refreshing that they cared that much about my bike / getting it right.

And my bike rode better than when it was brand new. The brakes, which they only adjusted, were better than I ever remember them feeling and my bike felt faster just coasting down my driveway. I wound up riding a trail I never have before on Saturday, so I haven't yet been able to compare to my sensations/times on a trail that I know well, but I suspect I'll notice an improvement.

It was also cleaner than it has been since it was brand new--it looked great.

The only thing that gives me a little pause is getting things replaced under warranty with a shop like them, but my bike is quickly approaching not being new anymore so it's less of an issue for me--my warranties have mostly expired anyway.

19. MemBrain

MemBrain Bone Healer

Bio Manipulator
    Had my bikes serviced there last week. Honest and good people. Plus it's a husband/wife business that i'm willing to support. props to them.

20. drksun

drksun New Member

Great place, not sure if you guys know this but Cory lets you rent out one of the "stations" for $10/hr. This week i used one of the stations and Cory even busted out a dremel to help me cut a notch in a stripped bolt on my rotor (this was in the middle of him working on a bike). After all was done I let him know I was ready to pay and he said don't worry about it. It's a great shop with top notch service, even for people that wrench or attempt to wrench their own bikes this is a great place to check out, you have all of the tools at your disposal for around $10..