Noobs guide to Counting Coup Training Ep.1

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by strobe, Oct 9, 2012.

1. strobe

strobe resident noob

I have luckily been able to register for the challenging course known as the Counting Coup. Granted this is the shorter route of the overall event which also includes the Vision Quest, but, i've been riding a bit over 18 months and thought i would do the "easier" one. I generally only get about 1 ride in a week, but, its usually about 20mi and i'm fine with that. I have also done SART from PO to S. Fork and back (30ish miles) without an issue. I have recently tested the Loch Leven w/PO loop to see how a long climb will be for my legs. I was fine until middle control climb when i started getting tired. Now i have a base to gauge my fitness.

I already planned on getting in segment rides along the CC route. I decided the first portion of B* to Motorway would be the best to start. It also seemed like B* was the easier climb compared to Maple Springs (i think i'm getting the trail names right) when i checked the segments on Strava. And, because of my fatigue on the Loch Leven ride, now i know i'm going to have to really train for these climbs. Did i realize how much this would hurt? I had a suspicion it was going to. I did not fully understand, though.

I started at the B* gate pretty early. Weather was nice and i felt pretty good. I plan on riding CC on my SS, so, to train i was using it with a slightly higher gear than i expect for the event (30x18 on a 650b= 3.30 gain). I am hoping more pain now will mean less in the end. I'm going to stand by that theory. The first 2.5 miles are deceptive. Gradual climb and i was even seated during much of this. Not bad since this was 1/4 of the initial climb (i thought). The next 2mi increased in grade. Standing and mashing was the theme here and now i see the challenge. I expected this was going to be what the entire climb to be like until the trail started going downhill. I didn't like seeing a down grade because i know what goes down, must come up and i still have about 3ish miles to the end of B* segment. Climbing started again and i was back out of the saddle cranking the pedals at a slow, but, constant rate. I still feel pretty good and the sun is rising. Pretty nice morning so far. "This trail doesn't seem too tough," i thought. This was about at mile 8.

I make a quick turn to be greeted by Smokey the Bear. More climbing ahead. How much further till the top? It didn't matter, i am about to be defeated. Somewhere between this spot and the Doppler Ball, i had to walk. Pedals just weren't turning over enough and i knew i still had some climbing. I've got to save some leg and portions of this trail are getting steeper. I walked further than i'm even used to for a portion of trail. It just seemed to stay steep enough that walking seemed to be the better option. Could i have spun up on gears? Yes. Would i have been faster than walking? Not that way i spin.

Loose climbs. Around this point i started experiencing less grip with marble to baby head rocks and the climbs were seeming to get steeper. I swore that the trail "leveled" out eventually after what i think they call Beeks. Getting to the top has now caused me 4-5 HABs. Demoralizing. This is why i'm training here, though. I had been getting lower back aching around mile 5 and the walking has helped, yet my legs are cramping a bit from the combination ride/walk.

Downhill has finally started. I am not a great decender and use more caution than speed. These sections are a bit chunkier and loose than i expected. I suspect i will need new brakes before the event. Or, a good bleed. Nevermind, i'm climbing again. Huff n puff. Now, i'm walking again. Up and down and up and down and UP and UP. Ack. Long story short. The Beeks to Motorway section has me defeated. I am still moving forward. After all, at this point i have to. Its the only way back to the car. I'm still in good spirits even though my legs are nearly spent. I know downhill must be within about 3 miles. I can walk 3 miles if needed. I still ride as much as i can and walk the steeper/looser portions to save legs. Slow going at this point.

Now i have found Motorway. I have made it to the downhill. As i step over the metal pole, he trail looks nice and i should be able to make up some time. Until it got chunky with shale rock and single track (rut). On the brakes again. Ok, i'm going to need new brakes. My old J5's are getting squishy and they have been bled less than a year ago. Either way, this section is at least downhill and my pace is only factored by my brakes and other trail traffic. Whew. I have found the street.

Lessons learned- 1) This is not going to be a 44 mile test. It will be a challenge. The test will be if i can get in enough training to finish in the 6-7hr time frame. If you haven't rode these trails, DO. I am now scared about how tough, even, the short route will be for this event. I fear that Maple Springs will be an even tougher climbs. That is my next training route in a month. 2) Test your gear. My downhill skills are going to require better brakes to keep me safe. My carbon fork also doesn't like a larger rotor than my 6". So a better braking system will need to be purchased. Magura, Shimano, or Formula will be the choices (<$130). I currently don't see a need for an Ardent up front. I think faster rolling will be just as good on the marbles and better for the climbs. Gearing. I will continue tougher gearing until the month before and then try a slightly easier one just before the event. Walking is fine, excessive walking is time consuming and will wear you out. I want to do just enough to stay comfortable. 3) Ride, ride, ride. Know the route and what to expect. I hope to ride all the sections for this event multiple time.

Finally, enjoy the challenge. i now know this is going to very tough. It wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't. Smile. As long as you complete your bike ride, it was a good ride. See you out there :wave:.

trailninja likes this.
  2. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

FWIW, with the exception of "The Wall", the hardest part of the MD is between Beeks to Four Corners. For CC and VQ we are lucky: we get to go down motorway and climb up Maple Springs. If you've ever ridden Motorway to 4 corners...you know what I'm talking about.

By the time you get to four corners, the rest of the main divide seems like a cake walk compared to what you've just done.

Keep at it :)

3. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Hurts SOOO bad, but you quickly forget it and aren't you ready to get back out there? There are so many great riders here that will help and guide you through, as you take on the large amount of training you're going to need to work into your weekly schedule.

Best of luck to you, you can do this!

4. bikerider

bikerider New Member

Kudos for getting out there and sticking with it. Yes the CC is a tough event, but you are finding this out now and not in March. So you have time to get mentally and physically in shape. I've ridden both the CC and VQ several times and I've seen even the fit SS'ers have to walk on some of the steeper sections. Keep it up, you'll be fine.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Said it before......many can make the distances.....but making the distance while keeping under the time cutoffs I the challenge.

MD is pretty torn up from the motos this summer....it tends to get a little better during the winter.

Yea the climb from Beeks Place(white gate @ mile 7.5) to the set of radio towers is a b*txh....seems like it never gets easier....just tolerable.

Just a long as you keep moving forward...whether riding or walking...keep moving forward.

Get familiar with all the portions of the ride......the paved section of maple Springs is a demoralizer.

Good luck.

6. wheeler

wheeler Member

Nice work!

7. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Good pointer for the noobskis.