Non Epic, Typical Place, Unusual Route Stoke RR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by dcrfx, Aug 7, 2014.

1. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Gary (Sircrashallot) and I went looking for a smooth easy route today, since Gary is recovering from a lippy jump injury to hand an shoulder :) Plus wanted to try some new dirt (for me anyway). I've never started from Nix before, and haven't ridden Emerald to the gate and back. So here we go...

We start at Nix in Laguna Coast (to avoid the Willow climb from the start). The climb on Stagecoach going west out of Nix did not seem to be that much "easier" than Willow to me, but more interesting. I like that it was singletrack, and the switchbacks and brake bumps make it a challenge to climb. Once up the first climb the singletrack down Stagecoach to Camarillo is a blast. Going up Camarillo, well, not as fun as going down to say the least. Pretty tough and a couple HABs for me.

The fast fire road decent into the laurel hole (or is that the rabbit hole, or the lizard hole?) reminded me why I don't like fast fire road descents, almost washed out on an off camber loose dusty section (shorts check, ok, huevos intact). And yes, the climb out of the hole to Bommer ridge is just as fun as it ever was.

Off to BVD/Emerald Falls/Cactus Alley, and I overcooked a corner up top, and this. Could have been so much worse. Serious consequences for going off trail there.
    IMAG0314c.jpg

Gary flatted on BVD so a little break, then off down Emerald canyon to the gate (new dirt for me). It's fun, it's flowy, It's non-technical, it's a long but fairly easy climb back out. The bridge they built is amazing. We think it's fiberglass beams and sturdy as can be. A couple pics down a ways where a waterfall would be if there was any water, with an ocean view....
    IMAG0318c.jpg IMAG0321c.jpg

Slow and warm climb back up Emerald to Bommer, then up to and across Fenceline. Couple close calls with runners but always a blast. Made our way down to the hole again, climbing up to the toll road I see my big ole slide marks in the dirt from coming down, that could have been bad. Camarillo going down has gotten more technical than I remember, stalled in one of the drops in a corner and had to tripod through. Still tons of fun and tossing it around leaves big smile on the face :)

The backside climb back to Nix isn't too bad, and the downhill payoff to the parking lot gives a nice happy ending. 17+ miles, around 2800 feet climbing, lots of stoke and no setbacks for Gary. It's a good day. :beer::bang:

Attached Files:

2. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Thanks Dave. You've answered my cry. Looks like I need to get back out there soon. Glad to hear there weren't too many lippy jumps.

3. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Nice Dave awesome RR

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Ouch (cactus attack) and very cool (everything else). Great ride, healthy stats. But I thought we were going steady after riding together twice last week. What's Gary got that I don't? Wait - don't answer that!

:beer:

5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Thanks dave, It was good to get back out tehre. I havent pedaled in a month and my hand still hurts but f#@% it. It was slow going down bvd the bigger bumpshurt a little but i dont think it set me back any. I climbed better than I thought i would, but Im feeling it now!

6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Weekdays off!

7. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    nice rout Dave - i might hit some of that tomorrow - , yes camarillo is nice and technical going down, fun tight switchbacks and rocks. lots of ups and downs makes that a solid ride. JB - you are too hung up on the lippy jumps, crack me up

8. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    He goes for the lippy jumps!! Haha ... I tease I tease Herz. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014