New Years Day Acton Trail Ride and Tail Work Day . . . Two LBS's involved . . . NICE!

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Mikie Watson, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    It's a New Years Day Ride, It's a Trail Work Day, It's two deals in one!

Where-->http://app.strava.com/activities/35353281

Meeting at even 10:00am at the Baseball Complex in Acton was still bitter cold. A cold wind was blowing and we could not get our leggings on fast enough. As people rolled in for the days ride, guys ready to go we're circling on their bikes like sharks in a huge aquarium tank just trying to get/stay warm.

It was a New Years Day Trail Ride/Work Day for the ever growing in popular Acton Trail. What was cool was to Owners of Local Bike Shops we're there to both enjoy the ride but also put hand to pick and maddox to extend the length of the AT ever upward on the face of Mt. Gleason.

Hill^Billy was blown away at the 9 guys that laughed and joked and took turns recutting old eroded trail in the snow. Huge thanks to those who showed. Yeah....it was cool.

Special thanks goes out to Maddog who drove to a point to ride up the trail and started before we got there, and stayed after we left. Maddog is an awesome dude!

Here are some pics:

Ahhh, freshly new cut singletrack...
    AT_Trail_Work_01.jpg

A parking lot of Bikes ready to try out the work when done...
    AT_Trail_Work_02.jpg

Ready to Roll...
    AT_Trail_Work_03.jpg

Rock bridge for a ravine with a hard right turn...
    AT_Trail_Work_04.jpg

AT_Trail_Work_05.jpg

AT_Trail_Work_06.jpg

Mike Grace of Bicycle Johns in Santa Clarita and Rich Bartlett of Block Bicycles in Lancaster. Two amazing guys!
    AT_Trail_Work_07.jpg

Hill^Billy looks on in amazement back at the end of the Conga Line waiting for another turn with the dirt tools...
    AT_Trail_Work_08.jpg

Setting rocks in a a ravine as a bridge...
    AT_Trail_Work_09.jpg

Laughing and talking, great guys knock out some new dirt...Pure Pork Rossage and Hill^Billy take a breather in the background...
    AT_Trail_Work_10.jpg

Cutting through the snow to recapture good trail gone bad years ago...
    AT_Trail_Work_11.jpg

The new Trail End approximately 300 feet longer...
    AT_Trail_Work_12.jpg

Dirt view of bikes ready to ride the new Hero Dirt...
    AT_Trail_Work_13.jpg

Rich Bartlett tries it out...
    AT_Trail_Work_14.jpg

Everybody joins in to set and pack the new section...
    AT_Trail_Work_15.jpg

After blazing down and back to the Trailhead, those that stuck around celebrated with some awesome Croissant and Champagne with Orange Juice. Man, that hit the spot!!
    AT_Trail_Work_16.jpg

I left my helmet and gloves on as we extended our pinkies eating these fine foods. When I got in the car to leave it was near 3:00pm and it was 47 degrees, did I share with you it was cold? The Acton Trail is totally worth it!
    AT_Trail_Work_17.jpg

2. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

Oh yeah! What a great way to start the new year! AT Rocks!

3. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    Thanks for the hard work! Cant wait til I can shuttle it from the top with Mikie. ( you have been doing a lot of shuttle rides.....).

4. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk . . . . yuk! Miss you buddy! We need to ride together more!

5. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

:clap::clap::clap:

Hill^bily: is "this" (^^^^) the trail we will be riding...?
    If so, all I have to say is: ooooh my! :)

6. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    Yes Mr. Dino! I thought it was a New Years Day Dream I had last night. Not so, my wife said I did go on a ride yesterday, and there are pics to prove it! Biggest work crew to date, and the funny part is I would say half, thought they were just going out for a nice new dirt, NYD's ride, and ended up wanting to contribute. The power of the people. I love it! I can't thank all the AWESOME people enough. Now get your A$$ out here and ride it!:bang:

7. Maddog

Maddog New Member

P.E. Teacher
    Thanks Mikie! I only rode 6 miles total so I didn't have to save any energy for the longer return that you guys did. I did about 10 more easy yards before heading back for the rose bowl 2nd half. Didn't get to the top H^B because I didn't have your bowl of cereal/gruel/mush for breakfast that gives you so much energy! Thanks for calling to see if I made it back too! Thanks to all who came to help too!

8. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I rode that area last Thursday and I can't express my gratitude enough for the work that is being done up there. I did a little hike a bike on the section you were working on and there seems to be so much potential there. Please send me a PM the next time there's work planned up there.
    Alan

9. hill^billy

rug sucker
    Three things-Ride on! I'll be sure to PM you. Thanks!

10. BIKEMONSTER

BIKEMONSTER "Sir, you are recreating"

I was so inspired by all of the hard work done up there. Lemme know when the next work party will be. Don't wait till it's too hot and the dirt is dry and hard to dig/pack in, it's perfect right now.

It's gonna be long time till that happens. You're still a good 3/4 mile and 800' or so from the old mining road and then it gets steep. From what I could see, most of the trail is completely obliterated. Been going up there for over 25 years.​

11. hill^billy

rug sucker
    Bike Monster dude! You blew my mind the last time I was up there, I was shocked to see the work done by someone outside of our regular crew, and have been wondering ever since. If it is cool with you it is time to join our small group? You are right that now is the time. PM me your # if you are ok with that and we can talk about it.

12. BIKEMONSTER

Sat. 2-23-13 was the first time I have been up there since the Station Fire although I have been riding this trail for about 8 years.

I'm down for joining you on one of your trail work days as long as you don't wait till it's hot out.

PM sent.

13. BIKEMONSTER

Well HillBilly, it looks like you have more than one rougue/stealth trail builder on your hands here! ...And one is a moto dude. :lol:

Some of the old trail is still visible:
    [​IMG]

Here's what the old miner's cabin looked like back in the early 80's:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's all ash now I'm sure. Here's more on the old mines just up the trail a couple miles:
    http://www.lagoldmines.com/index.php?page=235262.txt

I hope to join your crew someday HillBilly, shoot me a PM when ready.

Cheers!

14. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    Very cool, thanks for the info!

15. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

LADWP
    Where abouts in Acton is this? My brother in law and his wife just moved there recently and I'd like to try that trail out with them, heck, wouldn't mind helping you guys develop it, I own a shovel and pick axe too!

16. hill^billy

rug sucker
    BIKEMONSTER I can't thank you enough, I think you are a little crazy and an animal for going up there and diggin by yourself, nevertheless, thank you, thank you, thank you! You have to be a good moto rider to get that bike up there also. Thinking about getting up there this weekend, hopefully you can make it. Cool history lesson also.

17. hill^billy

rug sucker
    Pretty hard to find, even with and explanation, starts by the water tank and the baseball field off of Soledad Cyn. Rd. Starts off with a nice HAB.

18. BIKEMONSTER

Sometimes I think that about myself but it's not my ability that worries me, I've been doing this for over 30 years. It's the thought of a big cat sneaking up on me while I'm working that worries me a bit. The two legged critters I can deal with!

BTW, this trail was designated multi-use some time ago and there was a bit of controversy over it between the horse people and other users. I'll bet those horse people had never even been on this route before and had no clue how nasty it could be.

"...The equestrian and hiking trail up a_rA_T r E CY n was designated for motorcycles nine years ago, in the 1987 Angeles National Forest master plan, officials said..."
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/HORSEMEN,+BIKERS+FEUD+ABOUT+TRAIL.-a083902604

Please try to avoid using the real name of this trail in your posts to better protect from somebody searching and finding our threads on it.

Also l would like to let everyone know where I stand on this subject: Just because I choose to ride this trail on a moto does not mean that I am going to tell anyone or blab about it to the world on some moto forum. This trail will not support use of full size bikes as the fragile shelves would get blown out immediately. That is why I ride a trials bike on it. IMO this trail is best kept a narrow, tight MTB track and somewhat of a secret outside of the MTB community. Just my opinion and observations.

19. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I rode some of these trails today and the parking lot by the baseball fields and water tower is no longer usable as parking for these trails. There is a fence up blocking the old entrance and a few new no trespassing/ private property signs up. Someone obviously doesn't want us going through there. The only place I'm aware of to access now is where BP&L hits Aliso Canyon.
    I figured I'd get out there before the heat really starts, even on a warm day like today I was really feeling the sun since there is absolutely no shade anywhere. The trail has been extended by someone, thank you. Unfortunately the higher the trail goes the looser and narrower it gets and it will need a lot more work before it's rideable past where the OP was working it, but at least all the brush has been cleared. I'm tempted to ride up there with my hiking boots, ride as far as I can and continue on foot.

20. hill^billy

rug sucker
    I've been told the city owns the property to the entrance. Work has stopped temporarily for now but will resume soon.