New to the trade, tons of questions!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Atekk920, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Atekk920

Atekk920 New Member

Anyone feel like taking on a padawan? I'm a pretty smart guy and I like to ask a lot of questions. Looking for someone who will talk bike tech with me and teach me a few things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

keep an eye out for bike maintenance clinics. fullerton bikes used to throw one every so often. there's also free classes you can sign up for at REI

3. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    I see you're in Riverside, do you have a local bike shop that you frequent? Get hooked up with a good one -- bring them cookies and beer, they will indulge your every whim and crazy question. And if they're a reputable shop, they'll steer you the right way and get you rolling with a fun group! Much better than the loads of opinions everyone else will give.

Also, let people know what your level is and what type of riding you like, a shuttle monkey who prefers adeline, or a more of cross country style who likes to pedal.

4. Atekk920

Atekk920 New Member

I typically shop at JensonUSA but to be honest, those guys can be a little intimidating. I feel like a snot nosed little brother who follows around the older brother picking his brain lol. They are very friendly. But I can literally ask a hundred questions at times lol. I'm an engineer so it comes across in my inquiries.

Ask far as mechanical skill level, I have none, but really I believe the only thing holding me back is tools. I learn quickly and best by putting my hands to the plow. But the risk of putting my only ride out of commission while I go on a learning tangent isn't very appealing. Thanks again! Maybe I'll invest in some tools and take a few risks!

Any suggestions on a good tool set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I was going to offer to help until I heard you are a engineer. Just kidding. But really there are other engineers that MTB...engineers brains just work different hard to explain the "in the groove feeling" to an engineer. The one tip I can give you is just ride the more you ride the better you will get....don't over analyze have fun.

Dean

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Here is one of the biggest misconceptions when it comes to bikes.....truth be told that at the end of the day, bicycles are just very simple basic machines.

Some things take some skill, some take a bit more knowledge....but for the most part a circus bear could do most of the work on a bike.

Basic tools needed:
    Good set of Hex keys....keys that can be used individually, not one of the swiss army knife type. 1.5-12mm 70% of your bike uses hex bolts.
    Good set of Torx keys
    Shock pump
    Good floor pump
    Cassette lock ring tool
    Chain Whip
    Good Cable Cutters
    Chain Checker
    General Purpose Grease(Park Poly Lube/Finishline Lithium Grease/Buzzy' Slick Honey)
    Heavy/thick strand brush
    Chain Lube
    Bottom Bracket Tool
    Assortment of Metric open end wrenches(7mm +)
    Assortment of Screwdrivers
    Torque wrench(inch lbs.)
    Nice set of tire plastic tire levers....however, once you learn how to properly install a tire, you will no longer need them.
    Shop rags

The above will be enough to keep your bike up and running as well as basic maint. Beyond that you start getting into more specific tools.