New MTBR with an old bike...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TheHolc, May 15, 2016.

1. TheHolc

TheHolc New Member

Hey guys and gals,

New rider to the scene in San Diego. I love anything to do with the outdoors and have grown tired of exploring by foot. So I decided to delve into the lists of Craig and find me an old bike in my lowly student budget. Found myself a vintage MTB of the Proflex variety. Originally I was told it was a 1996 Proflex 956, but after doing a bit more research i'm starting to think its more likely a 1995 Proflex 855. It used to be dark metallic blue but the previous owner brought it down to a shiny polished look(old BMX'er). Now before people start educating me on how crappy the elastomer's are, the rear has been replaced with some sort of custom spring setup and the front fork is a rigid setup, although idk how I feel about that yet. The bike definitely needs a tune up and I am quite mechanically inclined and love working on my own stuff, I don't know enough about bike mechanics yet so I might let a pro handle the first one. But anywho, I look forward to learning from you guys and getting my feet wet in mud.

-Owen

2. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Proflex is the REAL DEAL! Enjoy rocking it at the local trails. Btw what are your thoughts on the +29 +27.5 fad?

3. TheHolc

TheHolc New Member

Thanks! I'm going to try to rock it. I see it more as a fast XC bike and that's what I want to be able to get a bit of air and speed, not so much for the downhill scene but I've never tried it before. As for the 27.5-29" fad, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I am a noob when it come to MTB but while I should be on a larger bike because I'm 6'4" and 200lbs, I hate fads and trying to be one of the "cool kids". I like old school and 26" is where its at. I should throw in I'm not against the 69'er or 67.5'er movement though.

trailninja likes this.