New "Do Not Enter" Sign on Ladera Ridge, aka Lower Chiquita Ridge

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by kingaucho, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    That whole stretch along Glenn Ranch is about to be developed with houses.
    The Lake Forest City website shows this and is very happy to advertise for the developers

2. Squonkster

Squonkster New Member

Craziest part is they actually use mountain biking in their advertising for the new communities. Like this as an example. Went to their home center a while back and they were promoting the trail usage so prominently I kinda hoped they'd be opening up a lot more trails, not closing them. Gonna miss those trails, hopefully something gets worked out.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It would be nice for trail users to have a seat at the planning table like the environmentalist have. They get their agendas put right into the land use plans at the devolvement stage so it may be impossible to change it. If I paid a premium in live in a area that promoted outdoor activity and lost it I would seriously think about suing the developers for false advertising and loss of property values. Shoot you could have bought in Anaheim you would have have a extra 200k to buy a cabin in Big Bear.

4. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    I did a slow reconnaissance ride to take in what I took for granted before and did some surveying.

This is the pristine flowy singletrack that may soon be off limits to us:
    photo 1.JPG

Here's a view from near the end of the trail before the trail closure fencing and post nearest to Oso Pkwy:
    photo 2.JPG
    One possible bogus concern from whomever may have instigated these closure points is that they abruptly lead right into the sidewalk in very close proximity to a major road.

In addition, these trail entrance points may have been an eyesore for some folks who do not regularly use and understand the importance of these trails.

What if we worked with RMV and OC Parks to propose an agreed trail work to sensibly relocate and level out what they coined as the "illegal ingress/egress" points and add proper signage to resume the normal access to these trails?

5. el cap

el cap Active Member

It's sad what is happing in Ladera with the trail closures.

We are facing other problems a little further down the road. If this gets pushed through (and I'm sure it will), we will loose some of the best singletrack in S. Orange County:

La Pata Ext. to Cristianitos Road/5 Freeway (right through SCST/The Weedpatch)
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pata-610220-san-county.html

6. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Oh shit, that's the worst idea I've read in a while! I can't read beyond the paywall, but sounds like SC city council is falling over themselves to approve it. And it doesn't even make sense as it would drop in beyond Pendelton's gatehouse. To avoid that, they would have to angle it almost directly south before it hits Cristianitos, which would tear through a LOT of open space.

That's all state park and USMC land though, correct? Perhaps that will slow their roll down some.

7. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    I saw the sign yesterday driving home and was very said. Not that I have any magic powers but I serve in the Ladera Civic Council and have some contacts at LARMAC and at the county. Knowing a bit if the background I'll see what I can find out.

Total bs this trail is closed. I rode it several times a month.

8. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Dammit. I was headed that way on Monday when I hit a tire issue and turned for home instead. That really sucks.

And it makes no sense whatsoever. Firehose and the section of Ladera Ridge from the top of Firehose to the transformer station are on the official Ladera Ranch trail map. There was no reason to close the section of trail from Oso to Firehose - and that was the best part.

Scotty, please tell us what you find out. I'll be voicing my displeasure as a LR resident to the RMVC.

9. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    I'll add that that was a popular training ground for the Tesoro cross country team. They can't be too happy about it either.

10. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    The La Pata extension doesn't go through SCST. It's marked to cut through near the Target off of Pico. The road already connects to Christianitos on the north side of the Golf Course.

11. Saosin

Saosin Member

Respiratory Therapist
    The target is off of hermosa not pico. Which golf course are u referring to? Talega or municipal? I can't picture the route your referencing. Any pics or plans?

12. el cap

el cap Active Member

I think you are referring to the current "in progress" La Pata extension from Ortega/SJ Hills to Target. There are no current roads that connect to Cristianitos. Cristianitos starts near Trestles/5 Freeway and goes directly to the Camp Pendleton Cristianitos Gate about 2 miles east.

The part we are referring to is from the end of La Pata (SCST aka: dog park/weedpatch) to Cristianitos/5 freeway. It was brought-up at a city council meeting this past week. It will go directly through prime singletrack.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...il-suggests-southern-La-Pata-extension-to-I-5

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pata-610220-san-county.html

NEWS

City Council suggests southern La Pata extension to I-5

Planners should set their sights on pushing La Pata south to hook up with Cristianitos Road and I-5, San Clemente City Council members said this week.

BY FRED SWEGLES / STAFF WRITER

Published: April 17, 2014 Updated: April 18, 2014 6:17 p.m.

[​IMG]

As Orange County extends Avenida La Pata toward Ortega Highway to connect San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano, planners should set their sights on pushing La Pata south to hook up with Cristianitos Road and I-5, San Clemente City Council members said this week.
    “That’s brilliant,” Councilwoman Lori Donchak, who serves on the Orange County Transportation Authority board, said after Councilman Chris Hamm suggested the extension at Tuesday’s council meeting.
    Council members were celebrating the April 4 launch of construction .

13. Big Guy

Big Guy New Member

Engineer
    I think that what tripped the Rancho Mission Viejo to request the closure is the offshoot trail that branches south of the ridge down behind the Tesoro High School ( referred as TNT). The only way out is through the RMV cow fields or jumping the fence into the High School property. A few weeks ago, I heard of some security guards yelling at bikers.

We have been riding the ridge for years without any problems. Even though the new ST is cool, I would happily loose it to preserve the ridge trail that connects to the Ladera trails.

14. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Avenida Pico ends just a few hundred yards from Christianitos. If you look at a map and terrain, it would be much easier to connect Pico than to grade the slope from La Pata to Christianitos.

I believe that prior to 9/11, that this was the plan and the reason Pico is as wide as it is all the way to the end.

15. Saosin

Saosin Member

Respiratory Therapist
    Connect Pico to what? The Toll Road? So people would take the toll road to Pico, then hang a left then a right onto Chritinanitos? I'm a little confused...sorry!

16. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    An update...there is now the same sign and fencing at the bottom of water works. Antonio pkwy across from the SM water district. Why is this ridge being taken away?

I know it's last minute but tomorrow night is the monthly public meeting of the Ladera Civic Council. We have a block of time set aside for pubic comment. I'd advise some folks to show up and bring up the trail issue. It won't solve the problem, but it would let my fellow council members know of the issue and that the community needs some answers.

What's that about the squeaky wheel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

They may not know the trail is used in this manner.
    Most folks do not mountainbike, and it doesn't even come up on their radar when making decisions.
    As more homes are built, and less open space available, it becomes important to have outdoor areas to unwind and enjoy the beauty of OC.
    Bring it to they're attention, and request use of the existing trails. Who knows, maybe it will make a difference.

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    When you say we, whom do you mean? Many Councils will not take up a issue without submitting the issue prior to the meeting and getting on the agenda. Counsels don't like getting questions that they did not research before hand.

19. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    From our agenda...​Open Forum: Members of the community may address the Council regarding items not on the agenda. The Council will listen to matters presented but may not take action on these items.

20. wizard

wizard tradersancho's dad

Chemist
    Are u sure u mean Waterworks? Not firehouse or pipeline? The top of waterworks is off Antonio. The bottom is in Arroyo trabuco. Closings waterworks would really suck.