My Slopestyle Build - Questions

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by davidB, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidB

davidB Active Member

all done ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  2. tekknics12

tekknics12 New Member

I'm a designer in the Apparel and action sports In
  3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Ok David here is the difference between Saint and X9 RD. In shortest gear the X9 sticks out from the hanger over 1/2" more (closer to 3/4") then the saint. The Saint is more compact then even the XT and XTR shadow so those will fall somewhere in between the two.

4. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    I am running an FSA pig head set 1.5 reducer to 1 1/8, it's not flush though.
    a 180 mm single crown fork 2007 66, but note that if you run an 8" fork the bike may not feel balanced, it may be balanced, but won't feel balanced Tekknics12 may give you better insight as to the feel of the bike with that set up...:?:
    for your chain guide, Intense recommends E-13 as E-13 designed guides around the frame. (I had to custom fit a Blackspire Stinger Dual ring guide to fit my SS,
    I had to cut a slot out of the guide to clear the lower Vpp linkage.)
    cranks, that's your call, but I would put in something in that fits the intent of the bike, but use 165-170mm arms
    RD, use what you like to use already, the money you save buy cranks.
    as for the spring, google the "mountain bike spring rate calculator"...the 400lbs spring may be correct, but check it out.
    my small frame came with a 350 lbs spring and messing with the numbers in the calculator 350 lbs is correct
    building these bikes turns into a game of 1/8 of an inch and go or no-go
    it's early so if I missed something let me know...
    here's my build...http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/general-discussion/31104-my-new-ride.html#post472385

5. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Whats the BB shell width on the SS?
    i may have some cranks that would work...
    i think they have a 34 ring on them though...

6. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    I know someone selling an 07-08 Boxxer WC for $700 obo if you are interested. Very clean fork. No scratches whatsoever on stanchions. He might let it go for $600 if you handed him cash.

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

its 68/73 BB. I still think he should just use the XT cranks he has. :?:

8. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

fork: I would also go with the boxxer. since you're going full on DH with it, it would be the logical choice. that'll put your HA at just north of 65* and still have a sub 14" BB.

if you really wanted , you could get some of those socom/uzzi dropouts, and drop the HA to 64* and the BB to 13.5ish. that would be a NUTTY bike right there for fontana etc. low BB, slack HA, and 6.5" of travel :-k

chainguide: I say E13 LG1 if you want the lighter setup. and SRS would be better if you want more bash protection (might be a good idea with the low BB). it is significantly heavier than the LG1 because of the added bashguard and chainring bolt length.

drivetrain:

for cranks, it depends on what you want. if you want bombproof, but still kinda heavy, I say saints. if you want lighter weight, you could go with SLX, XT, or possibly middleburn RS7 (XT weight and warrantied for DH. good deal) pair those middleburns with you phil BB and you'd be in good shape. cheaper than a full new shimano set.

seeing as you like XO shifters, get those, and pair it with an X9 super short cage. shifts as nice as an XO, but you wont cry as hard if you snag it on a rock and frag it. if you want and you've got the extra coin, an XO will be lighter/a little smoother, but like I said, if you bash it into a rock it'll be sad.

I know nothing about springs, or whether I have any extra parts...

9. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Here is where i determined my spring needed.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area/spring-calculator.html

Travel is 6.5
    Stroke is 2.5
    Remember you have VPP and Fox. So at 200lbs they recommend 492 spring for 28% sag and 463 spring for 33% sag. I am running the 500 spring with one turn of preload and I am about 30% sag.

10. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Where/how exactly do you plan to ride this bike, David?
    As you already (or if you dont, should) know, the Slope Style isn't a bonafide DH rig. From the Intense catalog:

"This bike is built to perform in the MTB park environment giving you the ability to throw tricks and fly over built lines with ease."

You may want to reconsider not wanting to climb at all on it and perhaps run a FD and dual ring set-up. It will open up a lot more options for you.

I've never used a SRAM X-O RD... i've heard good things about them, but they look kind of delicate. From much experience I can say that an XT RD can take a lot of abuse (i.e: crashes) and still work flawlessly.

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

First off this is David so it more then enough bike:lol::lol:

Now seriously I think pretty much anything in Socal, hell even almost all of Mammoth and a lot of whistler could be ridden very easily on a SS. True its not a DH bike but for Socal its more then enough. Would I want to ride it on a Real DH course not really.

12. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

what mark said. I mean, look at me: I'm riding my reign X on essentially every DH-type trail I've found down here. sure, it may be a tad sketchy on a few of them, and I could go faster on an 8" bike, but it's not a problem at all.

plus, the SS is more DH oriented than my reign will ever be. that extra degree of slackness helps a ton.

but then again, if he does decide to pedal it, he could always rock a hammerschmidt. kill 2 birds with one stone on the cranks/chainguide. not to mention better clearance to support a low BB

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Hammerschmidt would BLOW. I remember Lee saying this and I can agree the granny gear kinda sucks on the SS.

I did notice an odd change on the new SS page they say fork 160mm but the old page said 160-200:?:

14. davidB

davidB Active Member

that's not possible unless I want to swap cranksets over and run xtr's on a bike i hardly ride. I think I've figured out what I'm going to do in this department though

knew that from the start, and while it wasn't my first choice in frames, the Chainlove deal just couldn't be touched. DH/shuttles, I have a 5" bike for AM stuff if needed

^this.

dh races/shuttles/intro to dh kind of bike

15. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

totem 100%

Cranks, run what you have, its not like your going to be going big anyways :wave:
    Serioulsy though i think SS cranks will work fine, if you bend em, swtich em

16. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

domain 318

17. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Another opinion...

Fork

For the fork I don't think you can beat a Fox 40. I have 3 of them...er...well 2 now. I think they work flawlessly and find them confidence inspiring when looking out over the front of the bike. The nice thing about a 40 is that you can adjust the travel from 6" to 8" in 1/2" increments with some switching about of the shims. I had my Yeti ASX set for 6" and my 303 set for 8". When I had my GT DHi, it was set for 7". Pretty versatile and very tunable.

Chain Guide

ERP LG1 or one of the new MRP guides. Both of these systems work flawlessly and they look the business. Having a guide will keep that chain from going wild.

Other Stuff

I see some stuff about whether this bike is a true DH bike, etc. No, it's a freakin' "slope style" bike, but in my estimation there is not a lot of Robbie Bourdon-like action going on from many of the riders on this site. I think you'll be fine on this bike and probably hard pressed to find this bike's limits (it may just find yours though). Ride the hell out of it and just be stoked. You have a sick rig! If you forget this fact, just check out NWD9 and watch Bourdo's part.

Have fun, man.

18. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Based on the fact you are new and the geo of that frame Id build it with a SC fork IE Marzocchi 66 or totem. The bike is not so much a triple clamp rig with its slack geo based on a 180mm fork and low BB.
    165mm cranks there are alot of good options and Id rock something semi light.
    Wheelset is up there as well, custom or pre built, light or cheap. Id go 721s laced to some decent hubs or buy a set of azonic outlaws as they are good bang for the buck.

You need to decide on weight or cost first and foremost, I run a really light build and huck it and race it HARD it gets beat but cost a bit to do.
    Socal is fine for a single crown with a mini DH build.

I raced here last season on a 66 rc3, rock the boise bike park, schweitzer, brundige, Tamarack, Beacon, Bogus basin Freeride park, SS, wilson, Gspot, Tunnel etc with a 66RC3 and do it full tilt boogey. 235 lbs and ride aggressive and hard, dont be fooled that a triple is needed. Possibly WC courses but most stuff can be handled with ease by a good single crown. I just swapped my Boxxer WC back to the 66 tonight.

Either way PICS when built!

19. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Congrats and welcome to the darkside!!! FYI, I rode Andrew's (who works at Intense) SS with a Boxxer at the SJT demo. It railed on the DH but climbing was miserable. HA too slack and BB to low for uphill, technical riding with lots of rocks.

How you set it up is going to be determined on how you want to ride it. If it is multipurpose I would go with an e.13 DRS and the Fox Van fork. Check out 2wheel_lee and surlygal's bikes!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

20. davidB

davidB Active Member

^i think i've read that before but thanks again ;)

i need to hunt down some parts and maybe i'll have it built sooner than i thought

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.