My first year Mountain Biking - Yearly Ride Report!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Cougar, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Cougar

Cougar New Member

I make video games!
    Happy New Year Everyone.

I made a post on Reddits /r/mtb sub talking about my first year of Mountain Biking (mostly due to familiarity with formatting), and I thought I should link to it from here and imtbtrails as those are the two local forums I frequent (although I'm a lurker mainly).

While it is a long read, it outlines my first year of MTB'ing, starting last Jan 3rd.

Special thanks goes out to the STR community, as this was the first local MTB forum I found last summer, and it was this forum that got me involved in my first group rides. While I know the sentiment is that STR is past it's heyday, it has still proven valuable to new members of the community as of the past 6 months.

Thank you all.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/2qyds1/my_first_year_of_mountain_biking/

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you on the trails in 2015 and beyond!

2. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    Great accomplishments for only one year of riding! Keep on cranking...

3. spicolli1976

spicolli1976 New Member

Great job!!!! What a great first year. Keep it up.

4. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    well done this year...good luck on VQ...it will be your biggest success to date IMO. Intervals up Blackstar? Slainte'

5. Cougar

Cougar New Member

I make video games!
    I know that VQ will be the hardest physical thing that I've ever attempted to date. Hopefully I'll have trained enough to finish it, but seeing as how I'm a Dad of three and a full time working stiff, I know I'm not training as much as I probably should. I just hope it is *enough* to get that feather :)

6. pperrelle

pperrelle Member

Congrats on the first year of riding! I have somewhat of a similar story since I got back into riding mid-year after about a 10 year hiatus. I decided I wanted to get back into shape and dusted of the old Psycle Werks Wild Hare that I had hanging in the garage and started riding again. Within a couple of months I picked up two new bikes, a roadie and a new mountain bike. Having a blast on both. I went from 220 to about 190 and hope to drop another 10 lbs or so. I plan on doing a few of the Over the Hump races as well as the nondot races in 2015. I started my year off today with a quick 10 mile ride at Irvine Park/Santiago Oaks this afternoon. I'm 46 years old, but feel like a kid again when I'm on the trails.

7. Cougar

Cougar New Member

I make video games!
    I'd like to do the Over the Hump races, but I just can't manage the start time on a weekly basis. While I am salaried, getting out to Irvine Lake *every* week ready to race by 6pm is just... impossible :)

I did sign up for the OC Classic Series today though, so I'll be doing all four of those this year!

8. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    I love reading these kinds of stories - nice work, keep it going....