Muscle cramps

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by EndoMaster, Mar 25, 2006.

1. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    This isn't really about training but I have a question about muscle cramps and how to possibly avoid them.

I rode the Loop earlier today and was doing pretty well for myself, I rode uphill portions I usually walked. I don't know if it was the extra physical effort but once i got home, got out of the car, I got hit with the worst muscle cramps I've ever had. So bad I was splayed out on my front lawn like a lawn gnome that got knocked over.

This is the first time I've gone through this and don't want to go through it again. What can I do during a ride to help prevent this? Any of you guys go through this on a regular basis?

2. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    Try ecaps(endurolyltes) from Hammer Nutriton. Their electrolyte pills that are very fast effective with cramping. Most of the time cramping is from not hydrating properly during excersize so maybe a try a sports drink too.
    Matt

3. Krunk

Krunk New Member

ATM Tech...and no i can't get you cash.
  4. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    eat well, stay hydrated, and keep riding. I still get cramps on some rides that tax me especially hard, but the more you ride, the less you cramp.

5. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Hydrate the day before and driving to the trailhead.
    When they start cramping, I know a lot of the Vision Questers swear by a couple of Tums.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    When I was doing double centuries last year I wouldn't have been able to do them without the TUMS, in fact even when we would do our Saturday century ride I would need them then. They work very well, but even now and then I still get cramps. E-caps is also very good along with Hammer gel. And make sure your water intake is good. Some say stretching works for them, but I've never noticed a difference. When I was doing marathons I noticed a lot of people drink Gatorade and I tried this,but I couldn't swallow the sweetness after a while. It did help though. Good luck with it. I hate those dam cramps.

7. EndoMaster

EndoMaster Member

Professional web surfer
    Home Page:
    Thanks everyone for the advice and reading. It looks like the popular concensus is hydration and I believe everyone hit the nail on the head. I will definitely try to make a conscious effort to stay hydrated from now on and Tums are finding themselves on my riding checklist from now on.

I tell you guys I was in pain, I was having spasms in my left calf muscle and upper thigh muscle and on my right upper thigh muscle all at once. I could have curled up into the fetal position right there on the front lawn but then what would the neighbors have thought?

Agustin

8. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Hydration and electrolytes works for me. Try eating more bananas before you ride for the potassium. Even just gatorade the night before works pretty good for some.

Good luck.

9. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

can't go wrong with Bananas, they work very well .

10. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    I loovee bananas.

If your having problems with cramping, I'd recommend trying a massage. You can come into Core Chiro (http://www.endurancechiro.com/) for either a full body massage or a DMS (deep muscle stimulator). Both are proven to help ease muscles from crampings. Let me know if you want to set something up.

Also, like others said. Stretching is a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
  11. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    What's the ingredient in TUMS that helps with cramping? I thought they were just for heartburn and such.

12. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    I'm no human physiologist, but I would bet it has something to do with the calcium carbonate in tums as calcium ions help our muscles function...:-k

I figure this is as good a place as any to mention that free message from Core Chiropracter. That DMS thing (think of a heavy-duty handheld massager) did wonders to loosen my "computer back" and work out those stress related knots. It had been awhile since I'd ridden, but I imagine it'd be great after a hard ride or if you've had bad leg cramps recently.

I really wish they took my insurance!!!!](*,)

13. pshloss

pshloss New Member

I'm a strong believer in pre-hydration and bananas. I always drink abot 20 oz of Gatorade and eat a banana before a long ride. I also started drinking almost all Gatordade during rides. It is sweet, but I've gotten used to it. Of course there are plenty of other products out there like Cytomax and such.

14. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    If you cramp after a Fully loop ride than you aren't riding enough. 8-[

15. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    you need to ride more, of course,drinking alot of water during the day instead of soda. advil 1/2 hr before a ride helps me,bananas,potatoes the nite before,if you use gatorade.dillute it if it's too sweet.i've also heard people mention pedialite,if you've got kids you know what it is.thyey sell it at the stores.allways lots of water.