Mountain Lion at Whiting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigTex, Jul 10, 2012.

1. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    That's not the African plains.. it looks like Serrano trail to me..

2. joekilabot

joekilabot Member

Overqualified Underachiever
    The video looks old.

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    That sure looks like Serrano Rd to me!
    That would be something to see, I've only seen tracks.

4. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

FWIW, the video does not state that it was taken at Whitting Ranch...the author of the article is David Whiting.

5. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    If you watch it on You Tube, it lists that it's shot at Whiting yesterday on Serrano trail

6. guero

guero iFroth

[​IMG]

7. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
  8. limey

limey New Member

This was on the Serrano exit trail just before Portola on a slightly downhill loose section.

9. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

My bad you were right...I was less right. Sorry carry on :)

10. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

They closed Serrano Cow Trail again:

Whiting Ranch: Serrano Cow Trail Closed

OC Parks Rangers have placed Mountain Lion sighting signs at all official park entrances and have temporarily closed the Serrano Cow Trail as a precaution while we investigate mulitple mountain lion sightings that have occurred over the past few days. The trail was reopened Friday afternoon, but closed again Monday after additional reported sightings.

We apologize for the inconvenience but ask that you please respect the trail closure. Flyers with suggestions on what to do if you encounter a mountain lion are always available at the Borrego Canyon and Glenn Ranch parking lot trailheads.

11. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Q. And what's the take-away of all this?
    A. Perhaps this is proof that not all wildlife is out to kill humans at the first opportunity.

A mountain lion enjoys a tasty snack just like everyone else. Why doesn't he pounce on that scrawny coyote? If you put yourself in the lion's shoes... paws... you'll see that the coyote is still pretty big, maybe 35 pounds, a third the lion's weight, and he has teeth. Although the lion can easily kill him, she might get cut up a bit. And since this is nature, "cut up a bit" can be a death sentence. There are no antibiotics, no helicopters, you can't go to the ER, and a one-eyed lion will most likely starve. Squirrels and rabbits are just as tasty, easier to catch, and pose little risk to the huntress. The lion has a sense of self-preservation, just like the bunnies.

When the lion looks at YOU, the human, he sees something BIGGER than he is. Even though you don't have poisonous fangs and claws, you're big. There's a good chance you'll fight back--all prey fights back. And since you're big, you might inflict harm. So the lion will once again choose the bunny.

Coyotes? Same thing. You'd make a week's worth of meals for the coyote family, if coyotes had refrigerators and tupperware, but the risk of hunting you is far too great.

Rattlesnakes? They feel you coming. They know how big you are and that there's no way they could swallow you. So why not bite you and get you off of their trail? Because you're big and will probably squish them.

So despite what you learned from Marlon Perkins, nature is a calm place unless there's reason to be otherwise, like eating or humping.

Take one more look at the coyote. What's HE doing? He's doing exactly what he read on the internet. The lion was only feet away from him, but the way he was howling and yelping, the lion didn't want anything to do with him... and Mr. Coyote didn't get eaten or humped.

But as I type, I fear the Rangers are getting all worked up over this, devising a plan to get rid of Miss Lion. I hope it works out well for her.

12. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

For those chasing fast Strava times, this is an excellent opportunity on Cactus, Sleepy Hollow and Live Oak. Very little traffic, bikers or hikers, and a little extra incentive to go really fast :)

But really, a couple unusual sights on the ride through there today, a fresh killed rabbit in the middle of the trail on Serrano Cow Trail (did we spook off the predator, was it bait or did a biker hit it?). And shortly later a black Subaru parked on the side of Serrano road just before the Dreaded turn-off, with a couple people (uniformed?) tromping around in the brush nearby.... weird scenes and vibes inside the ranch these days...

13. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Much like STR. ;)

I'm usually all for the "we're playing on their turf so live and let live" approach, but in this case I'm going the other way. Assuming this is the same cat, it's now been spotted 3 times in a week. Two of those sightings were not just glimpses, but we prolonged viewings captured on camera, and one of those was by a group of 15 mountain bikers. The cat is demonstrating unusual behavior and showing no fear of people, and is living in a heavily-trafficked park a couple hundred yards from businesses, homes, churches and schools. This not good for the cat's self-preservation. I'd rather see them trap and relocate this kitty before something bad happens to the cat or any people.

14. krishno22

krishno22 New Member

My wife just got done running by Whiting today. She said at 6:45pm there was a Ranger standing at the entrance of the trailhead and two bikers were walking out (Borrego is a one way and Bikers normally don't exit the entrance) . She asked the Ranger if there was another sighting and he said there was one just now.

By the way, I watched "The Grey" last night. I'm sure glad we don't have any wolves in Whiting!

15. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    By the way, that was a RAD video!!!! one word....HONEYBADGER! let one loose and see what happens! "oh watch out says that mountain lion!
    http://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg?hd=1

16. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    [video=youtube_share;4r7wHMg5Yjg]http://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg?hd=1[/video]

17. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I agree this may not end well for the cat or some poor biker or hiker that catches this cat in an off mood or something.. this is a lot of daytime activity in a short period of time and there seem to be many people concerned more for this cat than for the people that may encounter it.. I'm for this working out for all involved (the cat and humans) but gotta be honest I'd MUCH rather see this cat go down than see someone attacked if that is what it comes down to.. just not sure how many times this cat can be spotted peacefully.. without incident.. let's hope we don't read about something bad going down, and when I say bad, I mean bad for a human, not the cat..

18. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    That mountain lion was not chased away. He just had no time to deal with the yipping coyote. I hope the solution is to relocate the lion. Im so disgusted with humans and our greed that I will leave it at that. This is a very broad statement and not directed at individuals, just greed in general. God forbid the lion has a food source.

19. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I would assume the first option would be relocate the animal.. I would hope.. I don't know the protocol for that kind of stuff.. I only hope they figure it out before someone's luck runs out..

20. johnnie

johnnie New Member

software engineer
    I live in Portola Hills and we have had a chopper circling over Whiting for the last hour. Hope they can relocate the kitty, if that is what they are here for!