Downhill Mountain Biking’s Raddest Women

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by denmother, Oct 8, 2009.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Mountain Biking’s Raddest Women: Darcy Turenne

By Screamin Mimi - October 7, 2009 - 19:36

[​IMG] Darcy Turenne. Portrait: Jordan Manley

IN 2004, TURENNE DITCHED THE CONFINES OF THE DH COURSE AND BEGAN TRAVELING THE WORLD AS ONE OF THE SPORT’S ONLY PROFESSIONAL FEMALE FREERIDERS. SHE IS A HOST AND PRODUCER FOR THE POPULAR RIDE GUIDE TELEVISION SERIES, RECENTLY DEVELOPED A SIGNATURE BIKE FROM NORCO, AND HAS BEEN FEATURED IN MAGAZINES LIKE ROLLING STONE AND MEN’S JOURNAL. THIS FALL, 25-YEAR-OLD TURENNE WILL BEGIN WORKING TOWARD A MASTER’S DEGREE IN COMMUNICATIONS.
    [​IMG]
    April Lawyer, World Championships, Lugano, Switzerland, 2003. P: Tom Moran

Almost every female who rode a bike inspired me and motivated me when I first started riding, but I really looked up to April Lawyer and Marla Streb. I became a fan of Marla after watching her riding smoother than any other woman I had ever seen at the Big Bear NORBA when I was a junior. I loved how she pumped every little roller and made it look like the bike was floating underneath her. That’s why I decided that style was important to me as a rider. I later found out that she has a master’s and is a classical piano genius. Knowing that kept me from walking away from my university education on more than one occasion.
    April represented everything I wanted to be when I was a teenager. I remember seeing her in the X Games Snowboard Big Air competition, and to me, the fact that she did both sports was hands-down the coolest thing ever. She showed the world that it was okay to be feminine and athletic at the same time, which wasn’t very common with female mountain bikers back then.

[​IMG]
    Marla Streb, Norba DH, Durango, Colorado, 2002. P: Tom Moran.

Maintaining a sense of femininity while riding is almost impossible, because it’s the last thing on my mind as I’m hitting a set of jumps or careening down a hill. That said, there’s nothing stopping me or anybody else from being feminine off the bike. I love dresses. I’d live in them if it were warm enough in Canada.

It’s okay to ride with the boys, be a good athlete, and be proud of your femininity at the same time. Being comfortable with who you are is the most important thing. I’m a huge softy and love being a woman, so putting on a tough facade would just scream insecurity.
    Mountain biking can be rough, painful and dirty, but the sport is also incredibly peaceful and contemplative. It combines the art of sport with environmental connection and offers unlimited challenge…it has a lot more appeal than we give it credit for.

Five top female riders discuss the women who inspire them, breaking into the boys’ club, zen and the fine art of femininity.
    [​IMG]
    Willow Koerber

[​IMG]
    Micayla Gatto

[​IMG]
    Darcy Turenne

[​IMG]
    Rachel Atherton
    Coming soon

[​IMG]
    Melissa Buhl
    Coming soon

Tags: April Lawyer, Darcy Turenne, Marla STreb, mountain bike women, mountain biking's raddest women, Norco, Ride Guide Television, women of mtn biking

2. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    Ah but there's is no Denmo on that list.

Well there damn well should be.

3. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I'm surprised Tara Llanes is not on that list. Out of respect and consideration from the community alone. Let alone all her accomplishments on dirt...

[​IMG]

4. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Ah but there is no Dino on that list.

Well there damn should be.

5. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Another women legend in racing(mostly non pro) is Doris Matyasovich. Many of you have met her on fully loop, she is the old lady who passes many up the hill and down the hill.

Her race results are longer than Kanye West's rap sheet. Here is her race results since 2000 and she has race many many years before that(yes she raced DH):

http://www.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=22970

And she just recently turned author and wrote a book titled "Don't Tell Me I Can't"

Truly inspirational, not only she is a women but she started racing at tender age of 50.:eek:

I'm one of the few who are lucky enough to know her and ride with her. She is one of the reason I am into mountain biking as much as I do now. At Jan 12hr of Temecula my biggest goal was to have at least 1 lap more than her.......I beat her by 2 laps but at half of her age. Many other racers I've talked all agree Doris is absolutely inspirational for everyone on the course.

Attached Files:

6. ocr6

ocr6 New Member

thats one bad ass chick!!!! even though shes down, shes still my number one female rider....:bang:

7. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Doris is a great lady and always willing to help other's. Will stop to help and encourage other woman on the trails. One time she spoke to me about wanting to coach other woman. Hopefully she will.

8. ocr6

ocr6 New Member

now thats a rider!!!

Attached Files:

9. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Oh if anyone is interested in a copy of Doris' book just email her at "Doris Matyasovich" <[email protected]>.

It is quite an interesting read especially if you have been mountain biking for a long time, many her references and memories from the 90s are so cool!

10. denmother

It's sooooo funny how many men lusted after her when that photo came out. Unfortunately she doesn't go for men. ;)

11. ocr6

ocr6 New Member

yea thats sucks......

12. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

How long exactly is his rap sheet? Other than his scuffles with paparazzi, I've never heard of Kanye getting in trouble, past or present. If you mean every time he's acted like a complete tool, then yes, that list is long.

Back on topic, how did Anne-Caro not make that list?

Oh, and Niki too:

[​IMG]

13. denmother

I believe that the articles are about women who are "currently" racing and those women that inspired them.

14. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    shes on a mtn bike...

i think shes pretty rad..

[​IMG]

15. Cableguy

Cableguy Member

Missy Glove should be on this list, despite (or especially) getting caught with a truck full of pot!

Attached Files:

16. b-40

b-40 Giggity, Giggity, Goo....

helicopter hydraulic flight controls
    [​IMG]

I met Darcy on one of my local trails (Castaic), she was riding with a couple of guys from Decline mag and the amazing Ryan Leach, any ways i was able to chat it up with her for a good half hour while the boys were out sessioning some jumps and i have to say she is one of the coolest and most down too earth people i have ever met, i say that cuz she talked to my fat sweaty ass for a half hour and didn't once try to duck out of the conversation. :clap:

17. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Missy actually is on the list--but just as an inspiration to Buhlly. Melissa Buhl, in my opinion, has always been an amazing rider! Plus, in addition to being a 4x and DH champion, she is a full time premed student--wow!

18. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    I wish I saw more women on the trail!:clap:

I would draft off this chic all day long...and I'm not even a roadie.

19. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

yeah I was always wondering about that. There's alot of women riders who play for the other team. Well knowing how a lot of guys are dopey, I may too:lol:

20. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    that's cool.

(as long as we get to watch)

:cheers: