Mountain Biker Fatal Accident?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Keith B, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    A fellow biker tells me a female rider was killed on Modjeska grade last night after being hit by a car :( She didnt have a rear light. Thats busy and unlit stretch of road, becareful out there peeps. RIP to a fellow rider.

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Not much info in the paper.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006
    Santiago Canyon Road now open near Modjeska Grade

A bicyclist is in critical condition after crash

By CINDY CARCAMO
    The Orange County Register
    Santiago Canyon Road near Modjeska Grade is now open after officers closed it for nearly six hours following a crash this afternoon that left a bicyclist in critical condition, California Highway Patrol officers reported.
    At about 5:30 p.m. CHP dispatch got a call about a crash on Santiago Canyon Road. A vehicle reportedly crashed into a bicyclist who was later airlifted out of the area, officers said.
    The cause of the crash is unclear, officers said. It's unknown when officers will re-open the road.
    CONTACT US: 714-796-7829 or [email protected]

3. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Edited - I think Letyrides said it all.

4. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

I knew Kristie and I can say she was a fearless rider and an incredible person. I'm in shock over this. This is the e-mail I got about the accident:

A friend and fellow mtb rider was struck by a car last evening and is in the ER at Mission on life support. Now brain dead, she is in the final stages of dying. They are doing a brain scan this morning and will probably pull the life support when finished. She was a 52 year old woman named Kristie Kirkwood. She was a member of the Trail Angels, a local Christian MTB group. This happened a little after 5 PM last night. She and another had just come out on Santiago Road from Whiting Ranch. While in the bike lane, Kristie was struck by elderly man who claimed he did not even see her. The impact knocked her 25 feet. The arriving paramedics worked on her while in route to Mission Hospital. They finally got a pulse back but no brain activity.

We are all in shock over this and can only rely upon our faith in God that this is all part of his larger plan.... that good will come out of this. We need to remember that this is only a cessation of physical life... not spiritual life. In Luke, Jesus tells us not to worry about everyday life, but our eternal life. This sort of puts things back into perspective of what's really important and how temporal our life is here.

Kristie is survived by her husband Chris, her 20 year old son Corey and her young child.

Please pray for them.... I know that angels are nearby....

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

That is truly a sad story. Her family will be in our prayers.

I recently bought a rear light for my night rides. Anyone without one that night rides should think twice.

C

6. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    My family's prayers are with her and her family.

7. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Very sad. Can't imagine what her family must be going through. Be careful out there on that and any road - never know when somebody might 'not see you.'

RIP

8. Shannon

Shannon ........

This is so sad. I've been guilty of not riding at night with a rear light. I won't do that again... My prayers and thoughts are with her family.
    R.I.P.

9. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

We just got the word that Kristie's gone. I wanted to share some thoughts from Mark one of our fellow MTB riders about Kristie's accident:

Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport. We know each time we ride that our lives and the lives of our loved ones can be seriously or gravely altered without notice. We cheat injury and death everytime we ride, perhaps to remind ourselves that we are alive.

When I hear things like this, I sense feelings coming from all directions and I can almost feel inside the other person. Call it empathy, telepathic connection, or perhaps a spiritual connection. But it's something. And I know it's real.

I thought first about Kristie. I doubt she had any fear. I doubt there was much pain. I sense just a brief moment of confusion followed by nothing. Is grim as it sounds, she's lucky in some regard that she was knocked out instantly. I believe that she didn't fight for her life. Rather, I believe she embraced her own death.

I thought next about Chris. His pain will last forever. And I thought about Corey. He's so young that he probably can't even comprehend death. Holidays - ruined forever. They'll need all the support they can get from their friends, family, and the community. They'll need reassurance that God is with them even when they lose their loved ones.

Lastly, I thought about my mom who will undoubtedly be reading about this story soon in the paper or perhaps seeing it on TV tonight. She once told me that she's so afraid I'll die while mountain biking that she can't bear to look at the photos of my trips. Imagine how afraid she must feel that I might slip away without notice. I've told my mom time and time again that if I should happen to die while mountain biking please know that I was doing what I love to do with friends that share the same passion.

Are we selfish to dare our lives everytime we ride? Should we restrict our activities to less risky things? Perhaps. Will it stop me from riding though? Absolutely not.

I lost a friend many years ago to a heart failure. He was only 27 years old. He was a postal carrier that walked all day long, every day. And when he got home he and I would work out together. One day he was working out with a friend and just collapsed. He was dead before he hit the ground from a genetic defect: a small tear in his hear ripped open causing an immediate and fatal cardiac arrest. I stopped working out that day. I sold all of my weights and I told myself that I would never put myself in the face of that kind of danger again. It took me a good 7 years before I would ever work out again. In that time my health deteriorated and my lifestyle deteriorated. I gained weight, took up smoking, and drank too much. I should have never stopped doing what I loved to do for fear that a loved one might lose me while I was working out.

At the same time though today, I definitely feel a bit of guilt knowing that the people around me might suffer in the way that Chris and Corey are suffering now. My prayers are with them. I have no answers for my mom though. I can only try to reassure her that I'm coming back whether in this life or the next.

---mark

10. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    This is terrible news. I was driving through that area last night and saw that the CHP and emergency had shut down Santiago Canyon Rd in both directions where it meets Modgeska Grade. I actually saw the life flight helicopter land on Santiago Canyon Rd and take her away at about 6pm.

My thoughts and prayers are with her and loved ones. I wish you all strength and solace during this tough time.

11. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Very sad.

12. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    I'm really shocked and saddened to hear this news. She was very genuinely good person, and was always there when you needed her.

She will be sorely missed.

Our prayers go out to her family.

Adam

13. SoCal Life

SoCal Life Squirrel Please

Account Manager
    I never knew, from what it sounds like to me, this amazing woman. But I have seen enough Death in my short life to have my own opinion.

I believe that your friend wouldn't want you to be sad for her, but rather to rejoyce over the life she had. Embrace her Life, as it lives on within all who knew her, and take comfort knowing that she died doing something she Loved.

:beer: Cheers Kristie

14. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    While I never had the pleasure of meeiting Kristie, my heart sank a few levels as I read this today. She passed doing what she loved and that itself tells us the kind of person she was. I will charish every ride and dedicate my next ride in her honor and to her family. Is there a memorial fund being started? It's a rough time of year to lost anyone, so I'd be willing to pitch in a few $$ to help the family. Any others?

15. killa Cali Kid

killa Cali Kid I meant to do that!

received this in email a short while ago. very sad. my condolences to her family and friends

Trail Angels Friends:
    It grieves me to share that we will be losing a very special angel. Christy Kirkwood and Debbie Brown were out enjoying their Tuesday evening ride. They parked their cars ready to go out and enjoy what we all love to do not thinking twice about just how fragile life can be.
    They exited out of Whiting Ranch onto Santiago Canyon Rd to make their way to continue up Modjeska Grade. Their tires left the dirt and out onto the pavement for not more than 25 yards or so riding side by side, Debbie on the inside and Christy on the outside in the bike line. Debbie said that Christy was there and then gone when a driver (not under any influence) swerved into the bike line and hit Christy.
    The impact of the car hitting her at approximately 55 miles an hour left little chance for survival. We are pretty sure that Christy did not suffer. She was air-lifted to Mission Hospital where they worked desperately to save her life. Her husband and son were surrounded by many of the ladies from our group praying for God to spare her life. The news came however, that they did all they could do, but her brain showed no sign of activity.
    Currently, she is on life support, her husband and son await the arrival of her folks and sister traveling from Utah. The decision to just exist on life support was ruled out while Christy and Chris shared their love on this earth.
    Please keep her husband Chris and her son Cory in your prayers. I know that you all feel very compelled to share your sympathy for her family. I guess for now, if you'd like to send them a card you can send it to my address and I will be sure to deliver your loving words.
    Jacke Van Woerkom
    21011 Skylark Dr.
    Lake Forest, CA 92630

MEMORIAL RIDE FOR CHRISTY
    We decided at the hospital to dedicate a ride for Christy this Friday, December 1st. We invite all of you to express your love for Christy as we celebrate her life and love for mountain biking.
    Meet in the McDonald's parking lot across the street from Whiting Ranch at 9:00 a.m. We will pray and then take the same route that she and Debbie did on Tuesday evening. I am trying to discern the safest way to be able to enter Santiago Cyn Rd in order to place flowers and fire safe candles.
    __________________________________________________________________________________

16. guero

guero iFroth

Wow, very sad. I wish I could make it to the memorial ride, unfortunately I have to work Friday. Condolences go out to her friends and family.

17. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Wow. Like others here have said, I did not know her but am deeply saddened at reading of this unfortunate event.

We can however, take comfort in the fact that as one of God's children, she is in heaven with her Lord and Savior right this minute. And she and her family will see each other again someday. I know, it's a lot easier for me to say it than for her family to hear it--I know that if something happened to my wife I would go crazy--but it is true.

My prayers go out to her friends and family. RIP.

18. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    George, can we get rid of this clown?(Papa-whatever) Just lost someone very close to our family, my prayers go out to her family.

19. Collette

Collette New Member

Yea I saw that too, and to put it in this thread??!!!?

20. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Very, very sad. My condolences to her family.