Minaaaaaaaaaaaaar Wins!

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by bing!, Sep 1, 2013.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    For you guys (gals?) making up reasons why certain wheel sizes and bike choices were made, watch this and get it straight from the riders and mechanics.

http://mpora.com/videos/AAdkeol26mq0

:beer:

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

It's pretty funny to hear Stevie talk about the cornering with the 275 after crashing in first corner.

3. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    Next time post a spoiler alert please.

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Agreed - respect the fans and post a more obtuse thread title and then let people know you are going to "spill the beans." Of course, I am guilty for throwing out the name of the XC winner and spoiling Mario's DVR suspense. I didn't think anyone actually watched XC races ;-) . Won't happen again.

5. bing!

bing! Active Member

Uh, ok. I didnt think that it was an issue since the race had finished a couple hours before. I saw the headlines even before I saw the race. But I shall respect thy wishes.

6. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    No worries. I just happen to like watching the replay as I never have the full three hours available at any one sitting. If I did, I be out riding anyway.

7. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

I typically watch the replay the night (our time) of the race. I always try to stay off websites such as this, facebook, vital, pinkbike, etc... until I watch the race.

Does anyone else think the quality of video/stream of the replay is better than the live version?

8. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Uh...well I had lunch, rode around the block and came back to find Schurter still putting it to the field. Talk about big years - won most races from the front. All day long again on a pretty cool course. Absalon with beast points for a sixth on 3 busted ribs from practice ride.

"Minnaar didn't really muscle it any more than other racers, from what I saw. Looked liked his line choice was super tight and efficient, doing aero tucks in places to conserve energy, and squeezing in a few pedal strokes here and there where others were just cruising through. I like how the commentators were giving SC plugs, saying how Minnaar had the lightest full DH bike there, something ridiculous like 32 lbs (coil and single ply tires). That and his wisdom, the home turf advantage, and his athleticism paid off for him."
    - Varaxis

All that on Minnaar. I thought they said his house is 100 meters from the finish area. Liked Ropelato's bike - bummer for him up top.

Thought DH coverage could have been much more - hardly saw any of Gwin and a few other big names. Wished they had more cams up top since that was (we're told) the toughest tech section.

Smith at the end with that jump - cool stuff.

9. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Watched the shorter highlight clip and saw a bit more closely how Minnaar got his slow-leak on his rear. Coming off of that last wood bridge, he tried to bunnyhop a rock garden on a downslope and landed about a bike length short of the end of it. I guess that's why he called it a rock garden drop.

Gee apparently had stomach issues that weekend, which drained his energy levels. Explains why it seems he was backed off after the first half (thought I saw him hang his head for a moment too), but 7th for his condition is respectable, considering how hard the top 10 (inc Loic Bruni) guys went.

Gwin said he crashed right before he got out of the the more technical sections and into the easier part.

Mitch said he tried to put in a respectable run, despite washing out on the first turn, which he said was a bit more blown out than he expected, and that his wheel hit some root or rut the wrong way unexpectedly.

It was said the course was a lot different from timed practice, with it being tacky then and much more dry, loose, and slippery on race day, which some racers, like Sam Hill, saying that they preferred the latter.

10. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    That bottle again:

[​IMG]

11. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

Has the course ever been the same or better when race time comes? I would have thought Mitch would have expected the course to get blown up. Look how smooth some tracks look during the track walk, then race day comes and the track is a lot rougher (as it should be). I guess that's why Gwin and Brosnan were telling Mitch he should get his big bike out.