Michaels Bicycles in Newbury Park

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by metalmtbr, Jul 7, 2009.

1. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    In my local area, I have Newbury Park Bicycle Shop, Westlake Bikes, Michael's Bikes, Wheel World in Woodland Hills and Agoura Hills bikes at one time before they closed shop. Wheel World guys are pretty helpful and prices and selection are moderate and they sometimes have good sales. I liked Agoura and bought some accessories but they closed. Westlake is meh. I bought my Specialized Tahoes from there but only because no one else had them. Newbury Park Bicycles was a joke. Both times I was in there, one guy acted like I was bothering them. Maybe I was (I don't think I was), but who knows. I just wanted someone to help me purchase a bike. The truth was I had $700 in my pocket to burn and they would have gotten my bidness but that dude was a wiener so I walked out. I figured he didn't want my business.

My LBS of choice is Michaels Bicycles in Newbury Park. They are a reseller for Gary Fisher and Specialized, and maybe another brand. Mike (the owner) knows his stuff. Bikes are his gig and he has more insight and has helped me pick out both of my bikes. He's seen bikes come back for repair and knows what components are better/reliable. I've done my research and what he tells me is pretty much in line with the info I've gathered on my own so I know he's not feeding me a bunch of b.s. He's always shaved off a couple hundred off the price of a bike and has given me the hook up on accessories selling them to me cheaper than the sticker price. He's a bit gruff and sometimes adult A.D.D. if there are a bunch of customers in the store but overall, he's a really good guy and trustworthy. The best thing of all is if you purchase a bike from Mike, you get lifetime tune-ups for the bike from him.

2. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    I live in Menifee(by Temecula) and I have gone all the way out to Newbury Park Bike Shop because I like their place. Most of the people in that shop are like you described, but if you go in there again, ask for Shane Kelley. He is a cool guy, and is definitely more than helpful.

3. yjgfikl

yjgfikl Braaaaaap

I work at Giant
    Home Page:
    yeah Shane Kelley from NPBS is pretty cool, the rest are ok. Mike's bikes is awesome Mike always cuts me a deal and you're right he really knows what he's talking about

4. Reddhedd

Reddhedd New Member

Got my Hardrock from them. Great sales team, everybody knows their stuff.