Lift Accessed Riding @ Waterman?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by stinkyrider, Jul 12, 2009.

1. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Especially when you consider that there are some on this site who'd make sure Sierra Club and USFS knew about it before the structures were even built.

2. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    So I hear there is a forest service mole with that I say ollie ollie otsonphre, show yourself.

Another concern not yet spoken is vehicular traffic and speeds of hungry shuttle monkeys.

3. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    This thread reminds me of our trip to Big Bear last year. It was my first time there and I followed the STR group down every trail. I was riding a 6 inch XC bike and the only challenging trails I encountered were the ones that I later discovered to be illegal trails.

I'm not blaming anyone else for my actions, I should have known better. But how could I have known? My point is that I just don't think there are any "DH" worthy trails on Mt. Waterman. I think I need to get up there and check it out more closely.

I really don't care much about Big Bear so I never worried about it much. I do care about Mt. Waterman and just don't want to see that mountain torn up with a mish mash of unauthorized trails that are unsustainable and ruin the prisintine nature of this mountain.

If you have ever hiked or ridden the Mt. Waterman trail you will be pleasantly surprised to see no evidence of ruts, brake bumps and bermed corners. It would be a shame to see this great trail trashed like some beater park trails like the luge or Aliso or something like that.

Look No Ruts!
    [​IMG]

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    CORBA already has a working relationship with the Forest Service and they have been doing San Gab trail work for years. Personally I would like to see CORBA take the lead on this.

5. Monarch

Monarch New Member

Milliner
    I totally agree with you on the ruts and brake bumps. In the winter time I ride only at Mt. Waterman and Mt. Baldy. These are ma and pa operations. They do not have the money to perform huge tests or surveys.

I believe if they built some trails within the ski run areas that will not be on the Mt. Waterman trail they will not have to perform all these tests. These trails will not be long as those runs are fairly short and not even that steep but none the less they can be lift accessed. I think the idea of building new trails down the face or anywhere off of the main run is out of the question and the forest service will def. have a problem. There is a right way to do this.

Correct me if I am wrong,We want a place that is close to ride and fun. We don't want a safe haven for shuttlers....

Dont these guys own snowcrest too? Maybe snowcrest would be better to build a mtn bike park at....Since it is just sitting there anyways.:?:

6. RYAN E

RYAN E New Member

The video of this weekend is up on Mt. Waterman.com check it out.

7. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I would be up for some trail work soon as the knee if functioning properly. :wave:

You just need to look [​IMG] Here is a perfectly good Dh/FR line (for those with the balls ;) ) ...

[​IMG]

But it definitely needs to be done so we do not loose this Mtn as well.:beer:

8. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Much as I enjoy the type of riding pictured in the video, I have to agree with others here that a certain procedure needs to be followed if new trails are to be created on Waterman. IIRC, this is FS land; it's not privately owned? Big Bear is a lesson in what can happen in this type of situation. Can there be any illusions about the consequences if/when USFS and Sierra Clubbers see the video?

9. Monarch

Monarch New Member

Milliner
    I don't think there is anything wrong with that video. Its just some guys riding down the face of a ski run. There is no actual trail they are riding on.

I do agree if you are going to build trails it has to be done the right way. However if you are going to build obstacles through out the mountain with out actual trails then there is really no reason to get the forest service involved.

10. Mt Waterman

Mt Waterman New Member

Not a free for all

Just so everyone know, we are not goingto start building anything until we get approval from the FS.
    We have four established trails that we have started to maintain. Out goal is to get a good plan to presnt to the FS as soon as possible so we can start building next year. For know everyone can ride the trails the are estabished.

11. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Totally spot on, Martino. Thanks, bro.

BTW, who's the sexy-assed studly rider pictured? :lol:

12. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Mt. Baldy has been running weekend mtb lifts for a few years now. There's all kinds of new lines running down from the notch now. No one seems to care. The owners of Baldy seem to be doing all right. The terrain at Baldy and Waterman are similar although Baldy is way more popular with hikers.

Didn't Waterman have Mtb lifts in the past? or was that snow crest? Waterman - open up the lifts, tell people to ride the 4trails and then shrug your shoulders when people ask about all the new "out of bounds" trails:?:.

13. epicriderat

epicriderat New Member

Self employed DME
    Yes, going through the proper channels and doing it right is key for success. So I would suggest the Mt. Waterman guys contact IMBA for input. Obviously IMBA builds trails all over the USA and deals with the FS, BLM, and all others. They could most likely offer some good insight to the steps required to make this a reality. And let's not forget CORBA

14. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
    I seem to remember you complaining about freeriders riding all over the place in P.V. and ruining it for everyone? And I think you were one of the two people that complained to the FS about the proposal for a new trail at Mt Hillyer? Now you are advocating a free for all at Waterman? I don't get it?

15. TKCastle

TKCastle New Member

Designer
    Yeah he got his panties all knotted up over on MTBR when the Mt. Hillyer trail proposal came out.

16. Mt Waterman

Mt Waterman New Member

Is there any one who has the Mt Hillyer Proposal. I'm interested to see what other projects are out there.
    We want Mt Waterman to be done right and we need all the impute we can get from bikers hikers and FS.

IMBA was the first person I contacted. They referred us to large contractors that we can’t afford right now. We’ve spent big money on getting the ski resort operational so we need to make this happen with the bike community.

17. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics

Probably have to contact CORBA for it.

I Googled it but only found a topo for the area on their website.

http://www.corbamtb.com/programs/trail-MtHillyer.shtml

18. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

Only one person I know rocks white MTB shoes while riding#-o

19. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I think Gravity Logic is better equipped to handle the type of riders that would provide the most business. Not saying Corba can do the job but if done right and provide a true DH riding spot it could end up being a gold mine and sorry Gravity Logic has a much better track record with that then Corba.

20. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    What's Gravity Logic's succcess/experience with dealing with the USFS? It sounds like most of their experience is building stuff in Canada, which is a different ball of paperwork.