Large laceration to the knee

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by crispy, Mar 14, 2013.

1. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    So, I'm a XC weenie that just happens to fall in the worst possible places. I don't do any really technical riding. I just gravitate towards sharp rocks.

So, I crashed almost 2 weeks ago and ripped my knee open. Luckily, the PA that stapled me shut said there was no muscle/tendon tears (he could see). I've since had the staples removed (at the 10 day mark) and still have it steri-stripped up.

I am really freaked out about it opening back up (don't know much about pathophysiology, so it freaks me out). Has anyone else had experiences with have deeps wounds on their knees? How long did you wait until you started riding again? What precautions did you take? My doctor just told me to "wait about a week" (this is after I said, "when can I ride again?" and the doctor paused and I said, "like a week?").

2. int3r

int3r New Member

wow, sorry to hear that. Sh*t happen all the time. Luckily nothing too serious, 1 week is very good for such injury.
    I have no experience on this.
    Get well soon, crispy.

3. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Sorry to hear about that, heal up quick. Got any pictures of it?!

4. riiz

riiz Member

Try a set of g-form knee pads, they are really easy to pedal in and would prevent this injury again.

5. amrider04

amrider04 Member

+1. Just got those last month. I'm really satisfied with it and definitely gives a peace of mind. I already have my share of battle scars but nothing serious.

Healing Vibes to you man. Just take your time to heal up.

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

You can generally tell by the condition of the skin if its healed enough to expose again.

First off, if the wound is painful, dont ride. The site is traumatized and needs time to heal.

If it still looks scabby and looks like a fissure, no go. If it still hurts when you pour alcohol, no go.

If it hurts when you move the joint, no go. That means it still open.

Allow the wound to close and smooth out. When the wound site start to smooth out or when scar tissue forms on top (keloid)

and the skin takes the color of pussy, its healed. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

7. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    That's more or less what I figured, but the doc said to not remove the steri strips and that they'd fall off on their own, so I have no idea what it actually looks like. She did pull on it after taking the staples out and said its closed up pretty good.

But other than the stretching I feel from the steri strips, no pain. I didn't crash hard, just hit a rock that was literally shaped like a knife. I walked back to the crash site to scope it and and almost cut my finger just touching the rock.

8. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    Ewwww....to the bone!

Hurkey Creek with the D'ville Crew 005.jpg

And then stapled up...
    Hurkey Creek with the D'ville Crew 015.jpg

I did the same thing about three years ago, it took a week for the outer skin to heal, but longer for everything else. I hit my kneecap so hard on the pointy rock I fell on, it took a few months to be able to ride normally again. Spent lots of miles on the road just to get my knee back to pedaling again.

And staples hurt like a mo-fo!!! going in!!

9. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I have scars on top of scars. I have a scar on my right knee that is purple and the lightest scrape opens it up and bleeds. I just write it off as the price for what we do. Truthfully I have found the cases of poison oak and poodle dog brush worse. Well maybe not as bad as some of the other crashes I have had like the broken arm, separated shoulder, and rib fracture I have had.

10. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Consultant; I teach bad vs. good.
    Pics or it didn't happen. This is why we have cameras on our cell phones.

11. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

I agree that scars can open up more easily in the future. I banged up my knee right where the reflex point is, my leg went dead for a awhile. Any bending movements would stretch it and it would bleed.

I'd say wait until the scar scabs up and you can bend your knee without too much discomfort.

One odd thing I noticed was that my scar was much easier to sunburn at first...

12. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen!

I had an injury similar to Greengiant's last summer. I also got staples - 7 of them to be exact. That stapling device is effin' brutal, and the doctor doing it wasn't being gentle either...anyways I was back riding in 2 weeks, didn't have any issues with it breaking back open. You definitely need to be very careful if you are going to be riding that soon. I was told that once healing begins and the scar tissue starts to "fill in the gaps", if the wound is opened again while it's still weak, it's almost impossible to stitch back up.

Here's a pic. Didn't get the kneecap in this pic but you get the idea:

[​IMG]

13. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Didn't snap one before i went to get it closed up, because open cuts freak me out. This was after 2 days when I finally got the guts to look at it.

Yes, the staples sucked. It was sore for like 5 days after getting them and I could barely walk.

knee.jpg

5 staples, 3 stitches

14. ShiverMeTimbers

ShiverMeTimbers New Member

environmental consultant
    man, makes me thankful I stopped and put my kneepads on, even when I don't think I need 'em. Hope you heal up quick.

15. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    Dayum guys! I missed that 25% off sale from The Path last month for the G-form pads and now regretting not buying them.

Heal well.

16. Enriquez

Enriquez Member

Took a lil tumble riding the singletrack back towards Whiting Ranch from the Oakley trails and thank goodness I had my knee pads on. Saved me. I wear the Race Face Brand. Easy to pedal in but with the hard shell right at the knee cap.

17. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Geez. I'm 3+ weeks in right now recovering from my knee puncture. Lol. Laying in bed with a sore knee wondering the same thing. I got back on the bike the last few days to ride around my neighborhood. It is sore under load but with no load it is fine. Wife told me doctor stuck his finger in the hole up to his first knuckle. I couldn't watch because I'm a little bitch about that stuff, especially when he brought out the huge needle.

[​IMG]

18. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Open wounds take more time to heal that scrapes. Give it some more time to heal properly before riding. +2 on the knee protection. I usually do not wear armor but the other day while waiting for a ride to start I lost my balance and fell over with my bike. My knee went straight into the ground....if I had worn knee pads I would have saved my knee from injury. Ended up finishing the ride with a jacked up knee. Happy Recovery!

19. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    ^^Dicks are the same color...;)

20. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

So when the wound turns black like my dick then I can ride? Good to know thanks