Jacked my arm at Big Bear...

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by bing!, Sep 8, 2013.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

Worst day riding this year.
    Jacked up my arm when I crashed going around a dirt corner from chair lift number 2 to the trail. You know, that long right hand dirt corner. I wasn't even on the trail! I continued riding and realized I was unable to exert much force with my finger. The realization came too late. I was already on Miracle Mile, going at warp speed and I tried to brake for that first little hump before the first left turn berm. Can't brake. I launch and plow into the apex. Sonavabiatch, this isn't my day.
    Oh well, I just wont brake much. Did two more runs on chair 1 and it hurt like crap. Each rock was like a toothache shooting up from my elbow up my arm. Suffered through it, determined to get 6 runs at least. Got three in total and lined up for lift 2 again. I got off the lift and went for the danged dirt path.
    This time as I approached the corner, I know it's loose and powdery. I get ready, put my weight on the pedals, stood up, leaned the bike, pressed on the inside of the handlebars for a little bit more traction upfront, and BAM! I'm on the frikkin ground again. I took another hit on the same arm! Muthacrappa, plus my knee and shoulder. What the phuck is wrong with me today!
    I look at corner and see that is all loose and powdery and my tire made a 4 inch deep path before it finally dug in. I'm hurting real bad now. I went to the top of chair 1 and went down on Cruiser for my last run. I got a few minutes in and I was dying. I could feel each rock as it made my elbow radiate pain up my arm. Going through washboards and brake bumps, just kill me now, I thought. I couldnt even steer anymore. Forget braking.
    I gave up and started looking for the fire road. I found it and started cruising down. In the middle of the mountain, I see some guys signalling all riders to stop. The guys turned out to be medics helping a rider who just broke his clavicle. I eavesdrop a bit and hear the rider say he was feeling faint and nauseated. It looked bad. A truck was already at the scene and a flat bed ATV came soon after.
    As I was watching them take care of the guy, and stop traffic, I mentioned to one guy I was hurt as well. They made me take off my armor and did some tests. Possible fracture or over extension. I have swelling just below my elbow, at my forearm, plus bruising. He says if the pain doesnt go away in a week, see an ortho. If it does, well and good. I got down the mountain, suffered through loading my bike and drove home.
    Just took some vitamin I (ibuprofen). I HATE THAT CORNER!
    Notable notes: Met a lot of guys there. Gabe, James, and Peter. Peter's girl. And Kyle. Kyle sends hugs and kisses. If you know Kyle, you know he said something else :) Jim and son Ryan, Vince and his Pops, Grego, And a bunch more. I'm sorry if I forgot to mention you, I'm in pain.
    Somehow, I knew this day was going to be bad. I had an argument with my wife before I left the house, my brake hose was eaten through by a zip tie (thank God it didnt leak), my front tire got a flat, Mcdonalds phucked up my breakfast order... etc. etc. Next time, when things start to go wrong, STAY HOME. My knee is jacked. My shoulder is jacked. My arm is jacked. And the wosrt part, to crash in the same place twice on the same day, ugh. Rant over. Pain ensues.

2. TheDecline

TheDecline New Member

Bummer man . My riding buddy broke his collar bone last time we went . Been riding local solo since .

3. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    get well, i crashed on the same trail on a right hand turn around 1/3 of the way down. A super loose area, not sure if its the same place you went down. I had hard elbow pads on and my elbow still hurts. Even with the pads i lost some skin - now around 20 days later. Hip hurt for a few weeks. So anyway if I were you and it really hurts after a few days I would see a Doc. But even if nothing major is not broken, its still going to hurt a few more weeks from now

4. riiz

riiz Member

That corner is a bitch, saw someone go down and had to be carried down on opening day. You'd think they would have added pavers there too.

5. bing!

bing! Active Member

I told the medic where I fell. He said I wasn't the first #-o

6. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Bing - I am really sorry to hear about your miserable day. I had similar symptoms after a crash like that once and had to walk out. Cracked my elbow. Goes without saying you probably should not have kept riding. Glad you didn't get hurt worse. My best to you on your recovery - don't get back on the bike too soon.

7. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Sounds like a heck of a day. Trooper for pushing through it. The trail from the lift is horrible. I don't think they will be doing much work anytime soon as they are only open for weekends.Anyhoo heal well heal fast. The mountain awaits you!

8. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    bing, so sorry man!! Always go w your gut feelings. On another note: Can someone tell me how to ride through that stuff?? I tense the minute I see loose dirt and I know I'm not suppose to. What's your body position, braking technique etc etc etc?? Thanks in advance for the tips guys. I rode w abuck55, tim007 and mexi "can" mtb yesterday at Oaks. We went down the front of Mountain Goat (I call it Dam Goat); I can make everything until I see that loose dirt after those sharp turns...it's so frustrating!!

9. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Hang tough Bing.. great seeing you nonetheless but sorry about the bad day.. heal up!

Jim

10. Joalst1

Joalst1 Member

machinist
    That was me you saw...i came off the lip of the table on Miracle mile pretty crooked and landed nose heavy. I rolled over the top of the bike and landed directly on my right shoulder. Not a broken clavicle but a serious dislocated AC joint. Im being told its worse than a break because of the torn ligament possibly needing surgery. Extremely bummed about it as you can imagine lol i guess i wont be racing anytime soon....hope you have a speedy recovery!

11. bing!

bing! Active Member

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear it. I saw you and your friend. You looked like you were ready to hurl. Sending word to the big guy to ease you pain and speed up recovery.
    As for myself, I am much better today. I woke up with better range of motion. I no longer have much pain in rotating my wrist. I could not see much yesterday except for the immediate pain and swelling.
    Today, I see the immediate area above my right elbow is about 2X the size of my left one. I think it's the triceps brachii tendon or surrounding muscles that's swelling right now. It's very stiff to touch.
    [​IMG]
    I'm just going to chill for a week or two.
    [​IMG]

12. bing!

bing! Active Member

13. bing!

bing! Active Member

14. bing!

bing! Active Member

15. bing!

bing! Active Member

Today, it turned black :(

16. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Photos?

17. bing!

bing! Active Member

This is the inside of my upper arm. It did not hit anything. Its like that because it hyper extended in the wrong direction. I can also feel some aching in my forearm now. I was trying to open a jar of pickles and I couldnt due to pain. My 15 year old daughter opend it with ease. I suspect its fractured a bit. Both wrist are sore still. So is my right leg. Am real happy I'm just sore and bruised, and not back in surgery.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Heal up quick, brother!

19. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Hey Man ... not sure that pic is large enough (hehe)...and yeah bad days are bad days all the way through... they SUX

I jacked my elbow a couple months ago, nothing too serious, but had a smaller but similar bruise and man it hurt for a long time, especially when I would do certain motions or twist it certain way, I suspect you are in for the same, but I was lucky on the bars was a good / pain free position.

Heal Up Good!

20. bing!

bing! Active Member

The first week has passed. I have full range of motion back.

I almost fell over trying to get up from sitting on the floor playing my dog yesterday. That's with using my right arm to push against the floor. Also unable to open a new jar of pickles without serious pain.

Left wrist is painfull when used with force or with some movements. Right wrist is sensitive. Elbow is bruised, swelling is gone.

Where the right clavicle meets the shoulders, that area is sensitive to the touch. It feels bruised, but it isn't.

Haven't seen a doctor yet. Using some basic info, i can't find any symptoms that would indicate anything real serious more than just being beat up. I've made a decision, I'm sucking up this one till the 2-3 week mark.

I'm really missing being on the bike. Am feeling real lucky that I did not require any serious medical attention. Thanks for all the well wishes.