It Worked: Pickle juice stopped my leg cramps(merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by tbowren, Aug 19, 2007.

1. tbowren

tbowren New Member

I'm sure everyone read the thread awhile back about the vinegar in Pickle juice and Mustard stopping cramps.

Last year in the 6 Hrs of OC and then more recently in the VQ I had horrible, drop to the ground screaming, leg cramps. It usually happens after 3 hours of riding, I feel the burning in my inner thighs, and within 10 or 15 minutes it starts. First my inner thighs, then my quads, then the calves. Keep it up and my entire leg locks up and I fall off the bike.

I was able to keep it just at bay for the Traverse by stopping and stretching and taking some Tums but it was always there, waiting for that one extra effort to strike.

This Saturday I was able to ride a loop of Blackstar - Motorway. This time I didn't walk to the ball or the steep hills. This time I purposely went into granny, buried my nose into the stem, and grinded way past what I thought I was capable of. Finally at the 2 hour mark it started, that burning, throbbing precursor that I know so well. This time I had a flask with 1/2 pickle juice, 1/2 water with me. Drinking it was like drinking hot urine, not a pleasant initial taste with an even worse aftertaste kick.

Anyways, I made my way to the top of motorway, met with my friends, blasted (for me) down that horrible loose accident-waiting-to-happen trail called Motorway, and raced my friend as HARD AS I COULD back down Silverado to our cars. That entire time not a single hint of a cramp.

Bottom line, I really think it works.

2. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    Thanks for posting your results, I was curious about this. BTW grape gatorade makes urine much more palatable. :)

3. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    Nice! What size of flask?

4. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    You know, I tried it at the second Rim Nordic XC race.

Took a Hammer Gel flask, filled it with straight up pickle juice, and stuck it in the freezer overnight.

On my second lap, when I started getting the "twitch", I drank about half the flask.

No more twitching! I finished it on the next climb, and except for the pickle after taste, it seemed to be the ticket.:clap:

5. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Guys

Was it sweet or sour pickle juice??

OMR

6. Innes

Innes Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    It's the salt for sure. You could just pick up some salt tabs instead of drinking pickle juice. That sounds disgusting.

7. tbowren

tbowren New Member

It was a standard hammer gel flask.

It was regular pickles (not sweet) but they were precut and the juice didn't have those floaty pieces in it.

I don't think it was just the salt. I use HEED, Sustained Energy, Cytomax, Endurolytes, off and on all the time. I'm always very systematic and analytical with my fueling. I love researching trying different products and fueling strategies. The cramps have been a regular occurrence on extra long rides for me since I started biking 2 years ago no matter what I did. Tums have worked "OK" but this seemed much better.

I think it works for me, if cramping is an issue for you, give it a try. I will continue taking my electrolyte tablets and gels every 45-60 min, but for those long rides I will always have a secret weapon stashed in my camelbak

8. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Nope......

This is from a recent post, provided by OMR;

Further research:

They have been using pickle juice to prevent and treat muscle cramps at the University of Northern Iowa for the past three years. Primarily, the athletic training staff has used it as a last resort in treating or preventing exercise-associated muscle cramps. When all of the previously mentioned preventive techniques—proper conditioning, nutrition and hydration, and stretching—have been tried and have failed, they add pickle juice to the athlete’s pregame regimen. They have found that by giving two ounces of pickle juice to the athlete 10 minutes before exercise, even the most chronic cramper can remain cramp-free during high-intensity exercise.

Pickle juice also seems to effectively treat acute muscle cramps. They first found this out when an athlete who was on a pickle-juice regimen forgot to take his dose before a game. When he suffered severe bilateral cramps in his gastrocnemius, he was taken out of the game and given two ounces of pickle juice. The cramps were completely gone within 30 seconds. They have tried this technique with other athletes and found it to be universally effective, with the great majority of cramps not recurring.

Usually, two ounces of pickle juice will treat and prevent any cramp. There have been a few situations where the athlete was suffering from muscle cramps in more than one area, or the cramp was in a large muscle group, like the abdomen, and he or she was then given additional pickle juice. It is imperative that the athletic trainer advise the athlete to continue hydrating, keep a balanced diet, and to take pickle juice in moderation.

Additionally, they have treated muscle cramps by giving two ounces of straight vinegar to athletes who were experiencing an exercise-associated muscle cramp. It was found that the involuntary contraction went away in 15 to 30 seconds and did not recur. Although the straight vinegar has worked, it is very difficult for athletes to consume straight vinegar. Pickle juice is more palatable and has been accepted better by the athletes.

Vinegar is the obvious common ingredient in both mustard (which is used by some athletic trainers) and pickle juice. But, as yet, there is no experimental research that has explained the mechanism of how these treatments work. :-k

Please pass the Vlasiks!

OMR

9. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    I will have a flask of pickle juice with me on long rides from now on.

10. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Anaerobic respiration in muscles and the build up of lactic acid is one cause of cramps. I suspect that the vinegar (acetic acid) improves the solubility of lactic acid and allows the muscles to loosen. Nothing to prove this, just a theory.

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    *rt* on MTBR has been racing awhile, and recently started using pickle juice to ward off, or stop cramps. It's the latest and greatest thing. Also probably cheaper than a lifetime supply of some new pill :)

I believe mustard is supposed to have similar effects, and people have mentioned it may have to do with the vinegar.

12. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Cramps

I have seen it many many times………Not enough water….not enough salt…….not enough potassium. On the VQ / CC really fit riders lying on the trail all cramped up. Me?...230lbs and never cramp (knock knock on wood).

The pickle juice sounds interesting. However me be think’in that you want to avoid them all together (not just a trail side cure). Drink that water! Put some salt on that Pasta pre ride dinner etc. Eat a banana etc everyday.

My buddy used to get cramps all the time. Then he increased his salt intake and chokes down banana’s (he hates them I love them).

Good luck

13. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

Old video of a certain STR member warding off cramps at a very young age:

[youtube]oLAeOjY2X5Y[/youtube]

14. tbowren

tbowren New Member

Thats a good point..

You do make a good argument there that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of pickle juice.

Its tough because I hammer all week long on hour long lunch rides in the heat or after work, and the cramps never come. Its hard to always know if something is working due to fueling or maybe I'm just not cramping on that day. I wish I could do 3+ hour mtb rides every weekend but thats not going to happen in the next 15 years.

But I do hear what you are saying.

15. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Really........

Just comes down to what works for each individual. For example…….Pasta is a old time favorite for a day before the ride meal. Mine fav is Chinese food. The rice and Chow Mein is what I like. Plus all of the sauces have a ton of salt in them.:bang:

16. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

Anyone else try pickle juice for leg cramps?

I'm still skeptical, but it seemed to work last Sunday. I got just about the worst cramp in my leg I've ever had. I thought of the pickle juice or mustard thread a while back, so I grabbed the pickle juice and took a couple of gulps. I continued to massage my leg. Within about 10 minutes or less, the cramp was completely gone. Anyone else try it? Successful or not.

17. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver
  18. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

Thanks SSinGA, I'll have to try both. I usually don't have much of a problem with cramps, but on Sunday, riding with a slow rider up Blackstar, I did a slow motion grind in the middle gears. I guess it was enough of a work out to push my limits.

19. Edog

Edog Member

Aren't you are suppose to rub the pickle juice on to your legs & smear the must turd under your arm pits?

20. tbowren

tbowren New Member

Careful with the Sportlegs though. It might stop your cramps but it jacks my heart rate up around 10bpm or more. Actually I have found that using Sportlegs on a hard ride had GIVEN me cramps if I don't take more of it after around 2 hours.

Something unsettling about seeing a number like 196 bpm on the heart rate monitor when I had never seen anything above 189 bpm before. This wasn't just one ride, I have tried this about 6 or 7 times.