I'm out for a (long) while... and with summer right here! Damn.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by shudder, Jun 1, 2013.

1. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

healing vibes your way. I just got back from 2 years out of the saddle due to nearly the same injury. I'm sorry to say that in the 4 years I've had this injury I've done everything but surgery and have shown no signs of improvement. I'm in full throttle grit my teeth and bear it mode.

If you find the magic bullet solution please share it in this post. I wish you the best of luck in your healing process... fwiw decompression seems to have the most effects along with daily stretching and daily icing. Other than that the rest had no measurable affect.

edit: My situation is weird... L4-L5 - 5mm Herniation mild stenosis, L5-S1 7mm herniation moderate stenosis. Severe disc degeneration disease in nearly all L discs... doctors look at my MRI and just ask... wait... how old are you again? anyone have a reference for a good doctor with real answers?

2. JackG

JackG New Member

When I had a disk slip while surfing a year ago I had similar problems to yours. I was already dealing with pain from biking when it happened. After the initial pain went away I could barely walk, not because it hurt, but because the inflamation and nerve impingment kept my nerves from telling my left leg what to do. It was more than three weeks before my gait returned to normal. To recover to where I could bike again I tried all the things that your Dr and others have suggested, and stuck with the ones that worked for me. After a lot of time slowly building my core to support my back, and learning how to ride with less stress on my back (out of saddle was a killer for me), I'm back to riding harder than ever. My point is don't loose hope. I was convinced I'd never do a two hour climb again. I was sure that the first OTB would screw me up again. None of that has happened. Two of my toes are numb. I have to ice my lower back after rides or I'll pay for it. It isn't like my body used to be, but I'm back to progressing in this awesome sport.

Get a recumbent and do some road rides. Build your core. Find the other things that work for you. Have hope.

3. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Hope you get through the weeds sooner than later on this, Shud. Another testimonial here to keep hope...never ridden better or harder than now, and was pretty low some years ago with L5 bulge/scoliosis. Hit it from every angle you can, be diligent with recovery/PT and go easy on your expectations. Power to ya...

4. rich2k

rich2k Member

This is bad news that you seem to be dealing with the right way. I hope you can get back on the bike sooner than later.
    Best of luck! I look forward to reading your review in the future. :bang:

5. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    So sorry, heal up dude.

6. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    My full-on thanks to all of you for such supportive posts. That's what this place is about. I will be doing my best to come up with solutions that work for me, and if they do, I will certainly post back in here as things progress (oh, I might even let you know if they aren't working... let's not hope for that). The back is a tricky thing: a gall at work had L5 fused to S1 in 1992, and she said her life was never better; another gal I know who;s running a bike shop now had the same thing done, and had ZERO recovery from the whole drawn out recovery and experience. She is in the same boat now as before her surgery. That's pretty radical differences there. I will try to figure out (with my docs, of course) the best path to pursue. You know I want to get back on the bike, and I will do so as soon as they give me the green light.

That said, my son Willie set my Stumpjumper up for himself this afternoon. #-o

- shud

7. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    healing vibes your way shud.

8. XgoodlifeX

XgoodlifeX Hello

I just had my L5-S1 fused in december, The 21st will be my six month mark. They went in through the front (almost like a c-section) and did what they have to do. So far so good, PT has helped a lot but putting the time in at home is a must. If you'd like to PM me you email I can tell you a little more or answer any questions you have; I don't want to hijack your thread talking about myself any more then I already have. Good luck I'm sending you strength.

9. bing!

bing! Active Member

im sending out mental messages via the fabric of the universe for the fastiduous and positive resolution of your predicament.

in engrish, prayers sent. get well soon.

10. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Healing vibes, prayers, mojo, karma and whatnot to you. I am yet another on here with a dicey situation at L5 and I feel fortunate every day that I can function. Like others have said, keep doing ride reports, even if make believe. Heal quick!

11. scsc

scsc Member

ED MD
    Hey thanks everyone. I know you are all rooting for me.

As to recovery, I'm not sure at this point if there is a 'recovery' per se from this. L5 is not going back into its place, not without fusion surgery and I just don't know if I want to do that as it will severely limit my range of motion if they fuse L5 to S1. I need to learn more about that, obviously.

Not sure of your age but an L5-S1 fusion shouldn't limit your range of motion much , especially if you're past 35-40. I've unfortunately had 4 back surgeries starting when I was 20 and culminating in ALIF (anterior fusion) two years ago at 46. I'm now 48 and I actually feel stronger on the bike and put in over 2000 miles last year. I really barely notice any range of motion loss at all; and it's more than made up for by a stronger/more solid feeling in my lower back.

Some of your nerve impingement issues are likely due to bone on bone contact leading to hypertrophy (growth)- this will inevitably get worse with riding unless the segment becomes fused...

Not saying you should have surgery at all, but L5-S1 doesn't move much as we get a little older. Hope you are feeling better and PM me if you have any questions, I've been dealing with this for a long time both as a rider and doc.

12. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I feel ya Mike. Been stuck in bed since Sunday due ti real bad sciatica. Its truly the most disabled injury one can have. I already had minor back surgery a few years back. Heres to healing my fellow gimp.

13. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    counter post, but hey were in the same boat. If ya dont mind lets exchange info. Getting a mri Tuesday. Kneeling or bent over is fine, its the standing up that hurts like hell. Ill pm you after my MRI. your pain seems to match mine to the T. Left leg as well.

14. scsc

scsc Member

ED MD
    Been down this road so many times. PM me if you want any information regarding doctors, surgery, next steps. I deal with this frequently in my practice and have had 4 surgeries myself.

Todd

15. XgoodlifeX

XgoodlifeX Hello

[video=youtube;8Ebe_6v2YXA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ebe_6v2YXA[/video]

16. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Gonna get me one o' those. :lol:

Went to see Doc Lala, a pain mgmt guy in TO, yesterday. He said the only reason I was not one of his 'normal' patients, and in agony, is that I have taken care of myself. He said he was 'impressed', and figured it was due to all the MTB I've done for the last decade and a half. He told me to get back on the bike straightaway, so I am going to do that (YEA!!), but suggested I get a epidural steroid injection (ESI) to relieve the pain that is keeping me from being 100%. It would probably be something like betamethasone. We'll see -- as a diabetic, steroids wreak havoc on my blood sugars. It's temporary, but it can be hellish. I've certainly done them before for my trigger finger issues. And then there's the fact that someone is sticking a big ass needle into my lumbar area... yikes. Doc Lala does 100 of these a week, and thousands of them during his career. He says 90% of his patients feel way better. The other 10%? Well, they just feel better.

Gotta think this through. Would be fantastic for the pain to go down -- I've had lower back pain forever. He says the spondylolysis has probably been with me that long...

Going for a ride now.

- shud

17. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    Ride was good! I tried to not push so hard (especially on the climbs), but I was exhausted after rolling for 24 miles and climbing 2,500 feet (I think that's more because I've been off the bike a while now). I even nabbed a 7th place on one of the descents, but I promise I was taking it easy!

- shud

18. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

Shud, so stoked to hear you are back in the saddle! I still send you good health vibes buddy!!!

19. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

Glad you're back on the bike. ESI's worked for me for for the first 2/3 shots. I got the third and everything was fine but after it wore off I ended up with nasty sciatica. Before the ESI's I just had isolated lower back pain, after the last of them my right leg is not so good (this was about 2 years ago now, still have sciatica). All of these remedies work differently for each person so ymmv. I guess if I had to do it over again I still would have done it, I'm the kind of person that would always wonder and I'll try anything once.

20. shudder

shudder no big deal

Home Page:
    So, my doc suggested the ESI regimen to lessen the intense back pain so that I could then work very hard at that point on working on my core strength (perhaps employing Tommy Danielson's methodology). Then, when the steroid inevitably wears off, my strength will better prepare me for the inevitable return of the back pain. In no nay are the ESIs meant to be a cure.

- shud