I fall victim to poison oak yet again

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by LBmtb, Aug 27, 2007.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I got poison oak from the newbie ride yesterday and started showing signs of it this morning. Didn't know how bad it was till now ...

It's on the top and bottom of my arms from my wrists to my elbows and on both legs below the knee till the sock. Not completely covering but scattered and does itch. Now I have a couple (hopefully just a couple) weeks of cold showers and drugs ahead of me. #-o

But at least I didn't break a collarbone or break my forearm in three places 8-[

2. guero

guero iFroth

that sucks eh! i guess you are gonna just have to start building our secret spot up in LB now. ;)

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    :lol:

I almost started to do that today :)

4. Everett56

Everett56 New Member

Self employed
    Where did you pick up the poison... the BMX course or near the (Rain Forest) I usually get it just looking at it ..good luck

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

George - I know you've tried just about everything for PO but we had really good luck using Zep citrus cleaner/degreaser recently. Available at Home Depot. We were hiking in Big Sur and everyone came in contact with PO especially the kids. When we got back to camp I sprayed everyone with the degreaser and rinsed with clean water. No one came down with a rash.

I know you get it bad. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

C

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    That amazes me. We did the entire ride together and I never even seen a trace of the stuff, except in that little forested area. I seen you put on the Ivy Block too. I think you must be on the Poison Oak hit list.

7. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
  8. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Not for me it doesn't. I also used it after this last ride on the top of my arms and on the front and sides of my legs. No luck.

I saw TONS of the stuff towards the end of the ride after the bmx spot. Don't remember hitting any of it but I was riding behind a few people. Maybe just the air moving the plants caused oil to be shaken off and into the air?
    8-[

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  9. Edog

Edog Member

That sucks, I just healed from my right shin being covered from knee to ankle, I use Calimine Lotion which I keep in the fridge for instant relieve. I think I picked up mine in El Moro. (the ivy that is!)

10. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea! Thanks :)

11. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Bummer, Godfather Grasshopper

I'm sorry to hear this. I know that PO can be extremely difficult to endure... many thories as to why some people get it just by riding by it and others don't... and yes (before I take too much sh*t from you guys) ... I'm one of the lucky ones... I don't get it and I don't know why I don't??? (something to do with the hair I believe)

Rich (Steamrolen) was showing off his PO at the ride and it was ugly... all over his legs from falling into PO bush that was only branches and no leaves. Caused me to do a little research on it:

Poison ivy rash is allergic contact dermatitis caused by a substance called urushiol, found in the sap of poison ivy. This same substance can be found in other plants as well, notably poison oak, and poison sumac.

Urushiol is a colorless, or slightly yellow oil that oozes from any cut, or crushed, part of the plant, including both stem and leaves. Simply brushing against a plant may not cause a reaction. On the other hand, you may develop dermatitis without ever coming into contact with poison ivy, because the urushiol is so easily spread.

Sticky, and virtually invisible, it can be carried on the fur of animals, on garden tools, golf balls, or on any objects that have come into contact with a broken plant.

After exposure to air, urushiol turns a brownish-black, making it easier to spot, and is neutralized to an inactive state by water.

Once it touches the skin, the urushiol begins to penetrate in a matter of minutes. In those individuals who are sensitive to the chemical, reaction will appear in the form of a linear rash (sometimes resembling insect bites) within 12 to 48 hours. Redness and swelling will be followed by blisters and severe itching.

Ugly stuff, George... take care of those infected areas and hopefully see you soon.

Heal quickly bro, :bang:

OMR

PS: The good news is that you'll have more time to devote to this board :lol:

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    George, have you tried buying the Tecnu Tri-fecta? I got a box that had some lotion for pre-ride, wipes that you can use if you know you come in contact with it, and then the post-ride shower stuff. I know nothing really helps once you've got it, but have you tried all the pre and during ride stuff?

Can't hurt...

I showered with Technu Extreme after our ride and so far don't have any itchies... Though, I'd never gotten PO until about a month ago, and I think I picked it up somewhere along UHJ or Coldwater. Just a small patch on my shin. So, I can't imagine how unbearable it must be for you! I'd stop by the campus health center and get a shot if I were you ;)

13. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    I hope your knocking on wood. :lol:

14. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Greg I think you can actually dodge bullets :clap:

15. DasBrink

DasBrink 6th coolest guy in SoCal

Dude, that sucks. Well on the misery loves company side if things, yesterday i took my friend back on a repeat of our newbie ride, and he picked some up in the jungle too. He ran off trail around the stream crossing. so at least you wont suffer alone!

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Hey mang... I'm feeling your pain. LITERALLY!

Was standing around doing laundry and went to scratch the side of my calf... yup, two little welts that'll soon turn into full blown PO.

#-o

17. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    bummer George........I know you were worried about it in the first place......maybe you should wear leg/arm warmers and all rides that you're concerned about (damn the fashion)

I hope you find SOMETHING that works for it. got Zyrtec?

from Gene's post about the tree on the Arroyo trail (last week's ride)

could have rubbed against that at any time :(

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Jorge, sorry to hear about the PO. I am a little surprised that you caught it on that ride. I saw some PO, mostly in the bamboo forest but not that much hanging in the trail. You are sensitive to it.

I am thinking maybe you need to ride with me more often. I like to ride the higher altitude stuff...above the PO line.

Dean

19. Hanzo

Hanzo .

I'll just add another thing to try to the list. Its expensive and I know everyones different but its the only thing other then that steriod shot in the arse that worked for me.

http://www.zanfel.com/

Either way heal up!!!

20. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Get well sooooooooooon Godfther.... We nwwd you well...