how resilient are snakes to getting run over?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brett, Mar 29, 2008.

1. brett

brett Member

So I've run over my fair share of snakes. Up to now, it was always because I was going fast and not looking far enough ahead and then it was too late to do anything.

But today I was just after the top of the climb, still in granny gear, looking down to crank up my u-turn, and just a foot in front of me there he was. The front half was under a board and the back half was stretched out in the sun and that's the part I ran over. I felt pretty bad about it but there wasn't anything I could do.

I started wondering how much damage I did. He probably immediately tensed up and is ok or maybe I cracked a few of his ribs? :?:

2. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Sorry. They don't usually make it in the wild if you run them over. Try to avoid them or bunny hop them. Please don't feel bad. It happens. Do you know what kind of snake it was?

3. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I don't really know, but I've seen them get run over by dirt bikes, and they seem to slither away without any problem. I also ran one over on a dirt bike, and I went back to check on it, and it seemed fine.

4. brownlandshark

brownlandshark New Member

Depending on the ground they are on (hard or soft) and where they are hit exactly they may or may not survive. An injured snake will not eat, it will die from starvation usually rather than injuries sustained. Soft ground and a hit a little away from vital organs the snake can most likley survive.

5. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    poor thing.

6. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

I think it depends on how thick the snake is, and where you hit it. I hit one near the end of its body (the last 1/3) and he slinked back into the brush like normal.

It's been warming up over the last week or two, I guess there's gonna be more of them out there right now so be careful!

7. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

Dirt bikes have a larger void in the tire and you can get lucky if you hit it in a void. If you hit the back end between the vent and any important organs and it can slither off to a safe location they can live. I have seen snakes hit by cars survive in captivity. Most of the animals that get hit in the wild become hawk/owl food. We have all hit snakes on accident and now I am sure your eyes will reconize the shape of a snake on the trail better.

8. brett

brett Member

It was a rattler of some sort. I saw maybe 2 feet of him plus the rattles.

Yeah, I've hit several snakes over the years. It's never been because I don't know what to look for but rather that I'm not looking far enough ahead to be able to avoid them in time. Today was pretty overcast and a little on the cool side so I wasn't expecting to see any snakes.

9. kanga

kanga Active Member

Also keep your eyes open for lizards. There were lots of dead ones on the Brown Mtn fire road when we rode it Wednesday.... and Frogs if you're night riding. The amphibian population doesn't need any more pressure! They're common in the riparian corriders that many of the trails in the san gabs and verdugos pass through. (Some rides I've been reminded of the old game Frogger!)

10. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Man, El Moro at night is Frog Central. Be really careful there!