How do you train for the Vision Quest?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by crispy, Oct 13, 2013.

1. ejhorn

ejhorn Member

Grad Student in Chemistry
    How much rain does it take to cancel the event? They said they will make a decision on Weds/Thurs but does that mean the event could be canceled only to have it only be a drizzle? I am sure it is a tough position for the WS to be in, especially considering the tragedy that happened last big rain.

It is funny, before I went to bed last night I checked the Silverado forecast for the 5th. The high was 75 and I thought to myself, "Man, I hope it gets a little colder, maybe even rain a little..". Never did it cross my mind that the event being rained out was even a possibility.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Just the littlest amount on rain makes Blackstar almost unpassable.

Keep in mind that it is not just the decision to cancel for rain on due to the safety of the riders.....we have a lot of support personnel up on the mountain as well, and we need to make sure it is safe for them as well.

3. grendal

grendal Member

B*star has the worst type of mud and is one place you don't ever want to ride in when wet, unless you like walking a 50lb bike.( 25lbs of mud on it)

4. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    This will be my first attempt at VQ, after 2 previous (weak) CC rides. I cleaned up my diet a bit, dropped about 20 lbs over the last year, and rode, rode, and rode some more.
    Strava has been a big help in tracking my progress over the course and setting climbing goals. I've also been logging some decent road miles to mix it up, build endurance, and get used to being in the saddle for 6+ hours.

That said, I'm feeling a little burnt out right now. I think next time I'll train by playing golf and video games ;)

5. HBkites

HBkites Member

Assuming it will rain on Wednesday (60% chance), Will the mud be an issue on race day?

6. mtnbikej

Not likely....with as dry as it has been this winter, whatever rain we get in the next 2 days should dry up pretty quickly.

As an added bonus, hopefully it will help pack down Main Divide where they have graded the road.

7. nharper70

nharper70 New Member

Are you talking about the area between WHT and Trabuco or did they do some grading between Beeks and MW?

8. mtnbikej

They have been out grading sections of Main Divide the last 2 weeks. They already did 4 Corners to Bedford Motorway....I have been told that they were working down from Santiago Peak down towards UHJ last week.

Saw a report on Geoladders that the section from Santiago Peak to UHJ was pretty soft.

9. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    That burnt out feeling sucks, doesn't it? I went through that a while ago. I felt like using STRAVA was actually attributing the the burnt out feeling. Segments will kill your training. Always feeling like you have to try and go faster from point a to point b. Once I stopped looking at my rides on STRAVA and starting just looking at everything from the point of setting goals for each ride and then looking to see if I accomplished those goals, I got over that burnt out feeling. I supposed I gave myself a purpose to ride (the goals) instead of just going out to ride (and wishing I was doing something else instead).

10. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    They have graded a few of the sections between WHT and Trabuco too.

11. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    I rode Maple to the Peak, then down the HJ's last weekend. I just wanted to say that the Peak - to -HJ section of the fireroad, though relatively short, is stealthily tricky. I'm used to just bombing that section, but the rocks this year are bigger and looser than normal. I was on a Bronson, moving through at cautious-fast speed, and STILL getting knocked around with a few "oh shit!" moments.

I know lots of guys ride hardtail bikes for the race - the sections I'm talking about kind of sneak up on you. Hoping my post will help at least a few guys keep their eyes open as they start the descent on the fireroad. I ate it a few years back on a similarly-loose, high speed section of the MD during the Traverse and it wasn't fun.

Fortunately, upper and lower HJ look great, albeit with some of the switchback ruts a bit deeper than in past years (but that's nit-picking). UNFORTUNATELY, be ready for a tunnel of love of poison oak, gentlemen. I know the email said they cut it back a couple of weeks ago, but that stuff grows like a weed. It's back. I can only imagine by race day. My advice: get those poison oak wipes ready and throw your clothes into a plastic bag as soon as you can before you get into your car.

12. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Thanks for the heads up, but we only cut back the PO on Trabuco and the lower section of WHT, NOT Holy Jim.

As far as training..., well working graveyard, doing trail work is about all the training I got this year. I hope it's enough ;)

13. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I rode Maple to Holy Jim a week and a half ago, and numerous sections were recently graded. Most were very mild, like they'd been scraping away small slides rather than really turning over the soil, so it shouldn't be a big deal, and as MtbJ mentioned, this week's rain probably helped (and Motorway should be sweet!)

Totally agree, though I was stoked to post some good PRs on my last Pre-VQ ride yesterday - that was a nice confidence booster.
    The goals on Strava are great though. I used them to set and meet training goals for major stretches of the course like Maple to the Peak. We'll see if that pays off.

Great input! That section is dangerous every year since people get exited to be heading down after the long climb, but brains are getting fuzzy by that point and people get into trouble. It is definitely looser and sketchier right now than I've seen it in quite a while. Be careful, folks!