High School MTB league Looking for Athletes in IE Area

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by heith, Oct 29, 2013.

1. heith

heith Member

management
    Hey guys and girls, a friend of mine(Dana) is the coach of the Corona Composite for the high school mtb league http://www.nationalmtb.org/. His area includes Corona, Chino Hills, West Riverside, and Ontario.
    The reason I'm writing is 'cause he is having trouble getting students to sign up this year. I don't know why as it's a good way for kids to earn scholarships. If anyone in the area is interested in joining the team IM me and I'll get you in contact with him and give him your info. Free coaching and a possible scholarship while getting the kids out of the house isn't that bad a deal. 8th grade second semester thru high school seniors. Parents are welcome to volunteer too.

Something to ponder. A lot of kids don't feel like athletes because they aren't good at the 3 major sports getting all the notoriety. All 3 of those sports are sprinters sports. If your kid isn't a sprinter, it doesn't mean he or she isn't an athlete or athletic. If he or she doesn't have that type 2 muscle fiber, than they probably have a lot of type 1, which makes them great endurance athletes. So if some of you think your kid lacks confidence because they aren't great at sports, try getting them involved in a sport that might be better fit for their body type. You'd be surprised at what that skinny little kid accomplishes when you turn he and/or she loose on a cross country course.

2. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

Hello, my son is in the chess club and the academic decathlon in his high school...I don't think he is the type 2 fast twitch type. Does free coaching include teaching a kid how to ride a bike? I tried to get him on a bike when he was three but can never get him to take the training wheels off. Sigh.

3. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    also can you tell us more about the training times and how that works. Locations? Mine is 7th grade, great rider, good endurance (not in your area though). But the problem i see with after school mountain biking is how do they get to the trails? Do they train daily? thanks

4. heith

heith Member

management
    All rides must be chaperoned so it depends on the daylight and help from volunteers. I Know during the winter he usually holds a couple garage trainer workouts during the week that the kids really like for some reason. I think they see results from the interval training. He tries to get them up Skyline and or Southridge(Fontana) once during the week too, then usually a longer ride on the weekends(CHSP). It helps if the parents want to be involved. He lives in Corona so the garage workouts are a little tough for some kids to get to but workouts can be supplied for those out of bounds willing to do trainer sessions. It's just not as fun as group trainer sessions.

5. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

Photographer/ Owner of Pedal Power Events
    If my kids werein your area I would throw them in mtb.....I wish we had this when I was growing up I'd be 10x better cyclist by now, the scholarship is not bad either.

6. Bplus

Bplus New Member

Agree 100%! High school mountain biking is awesome, however my one issue is there is no spec bike. Why cant a few of the manufacturers commit to say a $1500(or less) price point and let the kids have an equal shot at it? I feel bad for the kids on the huffys trying like mad to snatch a win from the kid on the 8g s-works. Just an idea.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

7. heith

heith Member

management
    A few of the manufactures sponsor the league, they give great deals if the kids are signed up through the school program. I can't go into more detail about that, but there are programs and sponsors in place.
    Your kids do not have to live in the exact area to race either, it's just better if they can train and push each other.

8. DPierceMtber

DPierceMtber New Member

Retired
    @bplus - All register athletes can qualify to get those mfg discounts... go to www.socaldirt.org and click on Team to find a local team in your area.

9. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

No love for a kid who doesn't know how to ride a bike? What about a JV team for beginners?

10. heith

heith Member

management
    Plenty of love for those kids...Sign them up, plenty of time to develop them and kids learn fast. It's Dana's goal to get these kids scholarships and you can't get them without a starting point.

11. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

I'm a troll. Saw your comment about the different types of muscles and decided to play with it. I meant no harm. Go high school league!!

12. Brandy

Brandy New Member

Surftime...as another HB resident, I've questioned those same things. I'm friends with Matt Gunnell, the So Cal League Executive Director and we've tossed around the idea of getting a team started here in Huntington Beach in the future. I have kids in 6th and 8th grade this year and they both started riding recently. If it sticks, I'm willing to be involved with getting a team going next year, but I'm not sure if there would be enough interest at one high school to make a team. I need to talk to Matt about the possibility of a district composite team as an alternative to get things rolling in the HB area. They are starting a middle school pilot program this year as well. Kids who are not involved in a team can ride as independent racers at the one or two middle school races that will be held in the spring. http://www.socaldirt.org/middle-school-program/