Herniated Disk

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by denmother, Mar 3, 2009.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I do have a road bike, it's on the trainer upstairs in my home gym. And I have used it for rehab numerous times!!!!;)

:lol: That's what I get for typing using Roger's Ipod (I fixed the typo BTW)!!!

And, I hope and pray that it works also!!!

2. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    BTW Nancy it was my l4-l5 and it had been on going for 4 to 5 years before my Chiro ( Dr. Dennis Poole in Orange told me I needed to consider other options) I went through Dr. Buster at UCI. Im am feeling a lot better, but the cramps are still there, just not as bad some days as others. I have been streching the best I can 3-4 times a day and doing mellow core excersise to support my back. I never realized how weak my left side was until the issue I was having was fixed. My L4 and L5 were slipping over my sacrum and compressing the nerve. From the best I understand Doc talk ,the problem ( bulge in the L4) cuasing the slipping was removed to keep the discs stable. I never really payed much attention to the wordge, just more is this going to stop the pain. I went through 5 diffrent docs and went with the one that really truly gave me an honest answer and was not looking to keep me coming back for more repairs per say.Funny thing my ex was the one who was really concerned ( mother of my children) who really was the support that helped me decide. As much as our past sucked, we truly have a mutual understanding of being here for our kids. Any how. Sorry for the Blahh Blahhh Blahhh.

3. denmother

Treatment Day 1

Hot Laser followed by 20 minutes on the magical decompression table then E-stim then neck xray and then upper back and neck chiropractic adjustments. No activity for 3 weeks! I was going to go spectate at Bootleg but I can't even hike. :-(

Thinking happy healing thoughts.....

4. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Notice any improvement after the treatment?

5. denmother

It takes 3 weeks before you notice a difference. I will keep everyone posted!!!

6. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Sorry to hear about this Nancy! I wish you the best. Take it easy now.

7. denmother

It's lonely when you don't ride.......

It's so funny, I was thinking to myself this morning that I am 52 and have no real friends outside of those I bike with. I know a lot of people (most of them ride bikes) but once the group rides and festivities are over, it's back to isolation at home. Not being able to ride basically cuts me off from most everything (kind of sad). I can post but that's about it. :-({|=

Just wanted to drop in and say that I miss y'all!!! ;)

8. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
    We can always use a shuttle driver!! :bang:

Just kidding Nancy, hope the back is doing better. And we miss you too!

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Nancy, I know what you're saying. Even hanging around my friends who no longer ride can be a bit odd - what do you talk about? They don't really care about the latest fork or brakes and they don't relate to the rides that you're currently doing.

Hope to see you back on the bike soon!

You know, there are still a lot of things you could do to participate in mountain biking without riding. You're well-studied in the arts of riding, so you could actually offer training class - especially to women (ok, this may require some riding). Or even be a training coach. Perhaps you could also coach riders on what it takes to get and keep sponsors.

I know your heart is in riding, but there really so much your experience can offer other riders - your cubs. :wave:

10. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    i think we've all been there. I used ot hate reading all the great RR's when i was on the DL. when my wife could'nt find me she would just walk int the garage and see me just standing staring at my bikes. it totally sux. but it will pass. keep yuour spirits ups

11. denmother

I posted a picture of my new Sam Hill Monster Five Ten shoes (thanks Tani) on Facebook along with my updated status which reads:

"Nancy is staring at her new Sam Hill Monster Five Ten shoes dreaming of the day she will be back on the M6".

Too bad I've seen all my MTB videos a million times over. Who wants to host an STR MTB video night????:?:

P.S. In the last 2 weeks I think I have watched more movies and recorded TV shows on my DVR than I have in the last year!!!:lol:

12. denmother

I like this one, do you think my insurance will reimburse me? :lol:

[​IMG]

13. Fookawi

Fookawi Climb more Mountains

I had a spinal fusion done on c6 and c7. I was fortunate to have the best surgeon in South Africa do the op. Besides losing some mobility forward and back it was the best thing I did. That was over 20 years ago. I still ride, surf ski, swim etc etc. Surgery is maybe not the end of the world. I was immediately pain free again but it did take about a year before I was confident that the fusion had in fact worked. I would get multiple opinions tho and research the best doctor if possible.

14. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Hang in there Nancy! This downtime will pass soon enough. Besides, you can fill us in with reviews of what's hot on TV and in movies these days. :)

15. denmother

What would you like to know????

Here are the movies that I have seen in the last 4 weeks:

Slumdog Millionaire
    The International
    New in Town
    Defiance
    Confessions of a Shopaholic
    Race to Witch Mountain
    Taken
    Watchmen
    Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail

Here's the ones on my list to see in the next 3 weeks:

The Reader
    Frost/Nixon
    Milk

16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Have you seen the World's Fastest Indian yet?

By the way, how is Roger dealing with this? I assume it's cutting into his riding as well.

17. denmother

Yes, great movie!!!

Roger is on the DL also (I should do a post for him). Many, many years ago during the time of the dinosaurs, Roger fell off my Dad's Jet Ski at Perris Lake. He injured his eye and ended up with Iritis and almost lost his eyesight because it was misdiagnosed. Now, it acts up every few years and gives him grief. He has been seeing his Opthomologist for 3 weeks (funny how it happened about the same time as my sabatical) :lol: and is still experiencing blurring vision in his bad eye. He is on steroids and had to have shot directly in his eye!!!

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Sorry to hear about Roger as well. Falling into Lake Perris a few years ago is nasty bad in and of itself. That lake has long been known for bacteria issues. A number of years back, they lowered the water level and found thousands of diapers in the water near the family beach. That likely explained some of the problems. That lake was just nasty. But that probably has nothing to do with him getting iritis.

Hope he gets better soon, too!

19. denmother

Update

So, I am on week 4 of no activity and week 3 of the decompression treatment. The flexion in my knee isn't getting any better. The random nerve pains seemed to have calmed down some. At this point I am so frustrated and just want a knee that bends properly!!

Looks like the Chiropractor will send me for a Facet Block next week. Has anyone else had one????:?:

20. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    Healing vibes to you, still praying for relief and the right treatment. Hang in there.