Help with jumping technique

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by von, Sep 3, 2013.

1. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Hey guys I need help with jumps.

I have been riding at snowsummit and I cant do the two jumps on west ridge.

I find myself nose heavy every time. I think I am break checking too hard and consequently throwing myself forward.

I also loose footing. So I guess I am not pushing down on then pedals when I jump?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. mxvet

mxvet New Member

During my last lesson at Whistler I learned: CPR - Crouch as you approach, Press into the face of the jump, Release or unload near the top.

but wait for the experts to chime in on this...

3. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I had a problem clearing those two jumps too, but mostly because of courage, or lack thereof. I spent two days running an intermediate run at the Canyons getting comfortable with jumps of similar size, but less consequence (Westridge has those trees and drop-off to the right). I am anxious to get back up to Westridge to see if my 14 runs on Wild Mouse and 4 on Dropkick translate to more confidence on Westridge jumps (and Cruiser Step-up). It's been over a month, and that's the problem. If I did easy to moderate jumps at least weekly, my mind would adjust and my skill would increase, but I am always starting over.

Do you pre-bounce the bike? I am told (and have felt) that getting the suspension active by bouncing a couple of times keeps you loose and ready to pop as opposed to standing stiff and waiting to flop. And definitely - no brake check. That will kill your needed speed and, if done on the up-ramp will make you dive fo sho!

I need to get up there again.

4. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

Slowing down the rebound on your rear shock can help. If it's cranked up too high it will help throw you forward.

Have you jumped the step up on Cruiser? It's easier and a great jump to practice hitting a lip with some speed.

5. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    I definitely need practice to boost my confidence or comfort level.

So preload before the jump, stay low, slow down the rebound, engage suspension and loosen up. Ok got it. Should I be pushing down on the pedals harder or pull or pull up harder?

I haven't done the jump on cruiser. I'll do that one the next time I'm up.

Herz you need to get up there once your back is well. Miracle mile is a lot smoother now. Although some TLC from the trail crew would help.

I think they are only open during the weekends now and Oct 20 is closing.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll make sure I do everyone of those things when I hit some jumps!

6. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

+1000000000. I did the same thing at mammoth my last trip. I found myself nose diving off a couple of jumps and remembered what I was taught at a jump clinic. Compress your suspension as you're approaching the lip and you'll level out, but make sure your bike is setup properly.

7. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    close your eyes right before the jump and that should help ;) but seriosly I would reccomend going with someone to watch you jump. Some times you have a habit you dont notice untill someone points it up. Mine was lifting the rear on drops, and I would have never known unless chris pointed it out. Or you can take a video of your self and watch your form. 510 and good pedals help with traction, and pads help with confidence. Good luck!

8. Joalst1

Joalst1 Member

machinist
    Im only going by what I remember but im guessing your talking about the table tops after the wood bridge. These dont necessarily need to be done aggresively like how your questioning about pulling up on the bars or pushing on the pedals. Just laying off the brakes through that berm entrance and a few pedal strokes into the jump will give you the speed you need then a graceful compression while traveling up the lip will give you the pop for height and distance to clear the jump. I actually found these jumps easier to do by doing this rather than trying to "force the jump" and over exaggerate. Hope this helps!!

For the gap/roller/step downs farther down on cruiser, i found myself having to pedal a significant amount for the first step down along with some body english to get the bike to go where i wanted it to. Then the second one was pretty simple if you landed the first one smoothly.

Happy trails!

9. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Changed the order for you above...

My responding to you on this topic is clearly a case of the blind leading the blind, but since I've worked so hard at it, I feel your pain. I hope you don't feel mine (from botched jumps with sideways landings).

It seems to me any pulling up is a bad idea. If you do the things others have suggested, the bike will jump just fine, pulling up with your feet will just separate you from the bike and pulling up with your arms will put your front wheel way up in the air. On a jump with a dedicated backside landing ramp, you want your trajectory to match the landing, that is to say, nose down at the same angle as the hill. Fabien Barel says so too.

Can you bunny hop your bike with flat pedals? That's a skill I definitely had to learn before I understood the physics involved in keeping my feet on the bike on jumps. It's hard to bunny hop a 40# DH bike with 8" of travel with flat pedals. I can do it in flip flops now! (But that still doesn't help my courage on jumps).

My back is better, and I prefer if Miracle Mile is rough. Let's go! :bang:

10. amrider04

amrider04 Member

[video=youtube;WdTSuq8s-eA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdTSuq8s-eA[/video]

11. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I like Fabien's tutorials and how he presents the topics.. "remember just relax".. that's a little easier said than done at times when you're fast approaching something that you're a bit nervous about having enough speed to clear, but he knows what he's talking about

12. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Or, speed up the rebound on your fork. . . . Or both. This definitely makes a difference.

13. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Closing my eye!! Ok il try one eye ha!

Me and my bike You are right I need to get someone watch. But everyone is too busy enjoying the trails!

Joal ok got it thanks for the tips. Ill try to relax. Just gottta ride the jump.

Herz its still rough! It feels smoother in the sense that it connects the turns bettah. More line options for the switch back. Hit the apex, drift the sand, or jump the rocks!

McG Ill try to relax. Landing on my balls didnt help haha!

AMRider The vid is perfect! Thanks

In summation.... Relax, carry speed,and don't do anything dramatic ( no push no pull just chill).

Thank you all.

I still need to fine tune my suspension.

Side note: Either the 2013 Fox fork talas CTD sucks bollocks or I cant tune for sheit.

14. forge55b

forge55b New Member

Commit commit commit!

15. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Squash, Squash, Squash (I've been working on that technique for many years, I can't seem to steer when I'm in the air, and bad things seem to happen when I am up there). Me, unskilled at jumping, know it and accepted it.

16. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Hehe. I do suck but before I give up I'd like to see if I can improve. In regards to technique, I'm hoping to rectify a few things before I throw in the towel.

I know it's probably not in the best interests of others using the trail but, I tend to insist on activities I'm not very good at.

Apologies in advance haha!

17. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    great video, I was practicing this tecnique on pipe line the blue ramps at mammoth last week end. It worked out great. Thanks.

18. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    He mentions pushing down but forgot to say pull up when the front wheel exits the jump, not before: the front end goes high, not after: the front end dives. It takes timing but once you get it you feel like you're on a nice smooth trail, quiet and calm, then you get the explosion of noise on the landing.
    Once again
    See the lip of the jump, right before: push down on your CG: this compresses the front and rear springs, pull up at the apex, all in one motion, practice. It becomes second nature.

Clip in, be one with the bike.
    Happy single trac air trails

19. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    I have always ridden clipless until recently. I am considering clipless again...

Thanks for the tips I'll try to compress before the jump. I really want to experience the moment of silent inertia!

20. bleeding_novice

bleeding_novice OnNineNine