Heel strike!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by bing!, Jun 23, 2014.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

My heel touched the ground landing the second jump on West Ridge at Big Bear. Getting checked in a few minutes by the ortho just in case I crushed my heel. No, I did not twist my ankle. All this is a result of a heel strike.

Walking dead zombie foot

[​IMG]

2. bing!

bing! Active Member

If things go downhill (pun intended) this is the closest I'm getting to carbon fiber in the next year. A carbon X-ray machine.

[​IMG]

3. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    damn.. that's a nasty one. healing vibes your way

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

Great news! No fracture para mi! I busted a few flecks of bone off my talus but over all, the ankle is bruised from the force of the impact. If the swelling goes down in 10 days, I don't even have to see the doctor again.

I had a feeling nothing was broken, but Ive been wrong before. I broke my finger and it wasnt painful. Walked around for two weeks then noticed it was curling and getting ugly. It healed but doesnt look straight anymore. I guess seeing a doctor today was $ 600.00 insurance against gimping for the rest of my life. Well worth it. The new bike fund is taking the hit :(

5. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Good to hear Bing now heal up in time for Northstar

6. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Keep an eye on it especially the swelling. I had a similar injury 5 years ago and it resulted in a blood clot in my knee and eventually an embolism.

7. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

Ouch man...heal up quick dude.

8. Makoto

Makoto Outdoor'ist

Sending you healing vibes Bing. I hope it heals well, quickly and without any further medical attention.

9. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    Ouch, that is terrible. Get well soon. I think your plan on having dedicated downhill shoes to retire as trail shoes is a good idea.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Dang......mine looked like that........when I broke it.

Heel up.

11. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

healing vibes.

i would keep that thing WAY elevated whenever you can to get the swelling down.

12. mtbkrazy

mtbkrazy Likes to Party!

Information technology
    Rider down! Flash back seeing you on the ground last Sunday . Get this healed quick bro -we got some mammoth trips this July .

13. bing!

bing! Active Member

Hey guys! Recovery has been speedy. After confirming that I do not have a fracture, I have been on a strict regimen of icing, elevation, and stretching. I was taking ibuprofen and Alleve to control the swelling the first two days. I am also taking, out of over compensation, collagen, fish oil, amino acids and glucosamine supplements. http://www.livestrong.com/article/241352-the-best-supplements-for-a-broken-ankle-torn-ligaments/

"Amino acid supplements in a specific blend can help improve healing rates following broken bones and torn ligaments by improving the deposition of collagen, a key structural protein in both bone and ligaments. Berardi suggests two daily dosages of 7g L-glutamine, 7g L-arginine, and 1.5g β-Hydroxy β-methylbutyric acid, known simply as HMB, mixed in water as it has the potential to expedite collagen synthesis and has been associated with improved rates of healing following injury. Berardi suggests continuing supplementation of this blend twice daily for up to three weeks post-injury to give yourself a healing boost."

Sunday, I had the accident. Monday I was on crutches and a wrap. Tuesday, I was limping with the wrap. Wednesday, I am almost walking normally with the wrap.

My ankle is fine. Its slightly swollen and the color of Barney, but it is barely painful during stretchng. The bottom of my heel though is VERY tender. No bruising there, just cant put much weight on it.

I am thanking the Lord for such a speedy recovery and that MTBKrazy had 800mg Ibuprofen on tap and ice at the trail head. That likely stopped a lot of the potential damage from inflammation. It is also very fortunate that I did not twist my ankle. Ligaments are notoriously slow to heal. I'm just beat up from simulating a 2nd story jump from a window.

I am hoping that I will be back on a bike by July 4 :). No more canckles!

[​IMG]

If there is anything I was able to do right here, it was immediately chugging anti-inflamatories, icing the injury and I STOPped riding. With my last major injury, an over extended elbow, I continued to ride and just sucked it up. That one turned into a 3 month recovery period plus physical therapy.

Thank you all for the well wishes.

14. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

the bruising probably traveled upward from your heel due to elevation.

15. bing!

bing! Active Member

Been walking almost normal since Wednesday. Wife arrived last night and picked her up from airport. Forgot to wrap my foot and ankle. So excited, havent seen her for 3 weeks.

Hugged her, picked up her suitcase and took her to car. Drove home, great dinner, then woke up with a flare up of pain.

Was expecting too much with the recovery. Almost forgot I almost broke my foot. In pain the whole day.

Need to slow down.

16. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    Ankles are so tricky. When I was 18 I was working for my uncle painting a balcony. I had an extension ladder slide out from under me and I landed on my right foot from 12 feet. Super lucky not to have broken it ( i was told I would have been better off breaking it). 3 months out of work. It didnt help that when I felt good I would go around climbing the stairs and lifting things recklessly and bam…major flare up!! Mine was blue from the ankle down, almost like i dipped it in ink!
    Heal up and take it easy!! Also soaking your ankle in warm water and epsom salt helps.

17. bing!

bing! Active Member

The tendon attached to my heel is the only painful part of my foot now :( The Plantar Fascia, right where it attaches to my heel. It's going to take a while to heal it :(

[​IMG]

BTW, I apologize if I'm posting too much. I am going ape chit sitting at home watching tv, sitting at work dreaming of riding, and lying in bed wishing I was better :(

18. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

Just go get it shot up with cortisone