Harding Truck Trail

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Garrett Garcia, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    I heard it was opening in November but all has been quiet.........

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Check the link in my post for closures or call the Trabuco District Rangers office.

Keith Fletcher, District Ranger
    1147 East Sixth Street
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951) 736-1811
    Fax - (951) 736-3002

Last I heard was probably spring.

3. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

heard a rumor it will be open in time for turkey day.....

4. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    You heard wrong.

5. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Hard to think that there's still all that much to justify keeping it closed 2 years after the fire. Closing it for a while was totally understandable. This quite honestly is now starting to sound like bureaucratic foot-dragging.

And the official FS site, woefully poor for updates as it is, still says that the area is closed until November 2009. Nothing about it being closed longer.

6. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Home Page:
    It's not simple, or nearly that easy, just ask local fishermen.

Except there has been little rain and it still looks like the surface of the moon up there. I'll refrain from insinuating that some impatient members of our community have agitated the residents and made things even harder, but since it's all private property with no public parking at the bottom the website is more useful than checking the gate.

Spring is optimistic, once the biologists and other parties are satisfied we may get it back. In the meantime it only makes things harder to fight it.

7. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Just to be clear - there is some public parking, just not enough.

Wasn't there some serious concern about stability along Harding? I know you can see one pretty big slide in the area from STT.

8. genusmtbkr5

Those spots will no longer be available in the future for because they belong to the Sanctuary I'm told.

Also, stability was the main concern. They have done a ton of work on Harding. I was on patrol once and had to turn back after 5 miles because the work they were doing made it impassable. They were building a retaining wall for a section that washed out. The job is completed now.

IMG_4374.jpg

9. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Home Page:
    I heard of a boulder also that 10 hot shots could not move, the truck had to come down from the Main divide to try. It has been shifted but there is an even larger one perched above that. Really the MTB community is only a fraction of the bigger picture, but that's no excuse to be part of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  10. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I did a patrol several months ago and there was a large landslide near the top that blocked the whole road. Bikes and foot traffic could get around it, but the issue is that the landslide showed the instability of the slopes.

I haven't heard when the FS plans to re-open it, but run-off on the barren slopes will continue to be a problem until ground cover grows back. There are also huge gullies that cross the road and put substantial loads on it.

There's been a large amount of drainage installed to control the flow of water, and I think some of it has had to be done a couple times due to failure during storms. It would be different if the road was paved, but a dirt road is a little like a sand castle at the beach. And rain without ground cover is like a tsunami..

11. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    So - Gene or anyone else - any word on how the parking issue might be handled?

12. genusmtbkr5

Not sure yet, maybe like it is at Maple Springs with very limited space and an adventure pass required.

13. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I think the big slide area you're talking about is the traditional rocky area about 5 miles from the bottom (just before Laurel Springs). That area got worked on heavily, and they reinforced the area on the switchback above it in an attempt to divert run-off and control future landslides.

14. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

crap!!. No santa this year either I bet. this blows.

](*,)

15. Napoleon D.

Napoleon D. New Member

November 13th?

From the Cleveland National Forest website. Looks like November 13, 2009 is the last day of the closure. See the bold writing below.

DECISION MEMO

U. S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE – FOREST SERVICE

FOREST CLOSURE ORDER
    SANTIAGO FIRE AREA
    02 08 01

CLEVELAND NATIONAL FOREST
    SAN DIEGO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA

DECISION

It is my decision to issue a Forest Order authorizing a continuation of a portion of last years
    temporary closure of the Santiago Fire burn area on the Trabuco Ranger District. This order also
    includes a class of persons exempt from the Order:
    (1) Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
    (2) Owners or lessees of land in the closure area.
    (3) Residents in the closure area.
    (4) Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in
    the performance of an official duty.

The new closure area is described on the Exhibit A (attached) and is shown on the attached map
    (Exhibit B). The closure will be in effect from November 14, 2008 through November 13, 2009.

It will address public health and safety concerns and will also serve to protect forest resources
    and critical watersheds located within the fire area.

NEED FOR THE PROPOSED ACTION

There is a need for this action because of the threat to human life and resource values due to
    Santiago wildfire. An emergency situation was identified as a result of the fire. There are hazards
    known and unknown within the fire area that threaten public health and safety.

An additional threat to public safety created by this fire is flash flooding caused by loss of
    vegetative resources. The time frame of this closure typically includes severe monsoonal
    thunderstorms that can result in some flash flooding. Although re-vegetation is occurring over
    most of the burned area, the vegetative resources have not progressed enough to lessen the
    probability of severe flash flooding in the burn area and adjoining areas.

In addition to the public health and safety aspect of the Santiago Fire there numerous
    archeological, historical, and culturally relevant sites have been exposed by the fire. Many of
    these sites are cataloged; however, numerous other sites have not been surveyed.

The topography of the area is steep with sensitive soils. The topography combined with sensitive
    soils invite erosion when traversed by foot or mechanical means.

Decision Memo
    Santiago Fire Area Closure
    Closure Order 02-08-01
    Page 2 of 6

The continuation of a closure in the burned area is felt to be the most effective method to reduce
    the potential for loss of life, and loss of significant physical, and cultural resource values on the
    forest.

There is also a need to provide for the viability of many projects and businesses currently in
    operation within the proposed Closure area.

REASONS FOR CATEGORICALLY EXCLUDING THE PROPOSED ACTION

This decision is categorically excluded from documentation under Forest Service Handbook
    1909.15, Section 31.1b(1) – Orders issued pursuant to 36 CFR Part 261 – Prohibitions to provide
    short-term resource protection or to protect public health and safety.

As a result of the above-mentioned analyses, I find there are no extraordinary circumstances that
    might cause the action to have significant environmental effects; therefore the proposed action is
    excluded from documentation in an Environmental Impact Statement or Environmental
    Assessment. Extraordinary circumstances would include but are not limited to negative impacts
    on the following:

1. Steep slopes or highly erosive soils.

This action will promote retention of natural vegetation that will help stabilize the steep slopes
    and highly erosive soils located within the closure area.

2. Threatened and Endangered species or their critical habitat.

One of the reasons for this action is to protect threatened and endangered species, and their
    habitats, located within the closure zone.

3. Flood plains, wetlands, and municipal watersheds.

This action will minimize impacts on flood plains, wetlands, and municipal watersheds within
    the closure area.

4. Congressionally designated areas, such as Wilderness, Wilderness Study areas, or
    National Recreation Areas.

There are two congressionally designated Wilderness Areas within the closure area. Protection of
    these areas will be enhanced by the closure area.

5. Inventoried roadless areas.

There are inventoried road less areas within the closure area. Protection of these areas will be
    enhanced by the closure area.

Decision Memo
    Closure Order 02-08-01
    Page 3 of 6

7. Native American religious or cultural sites, archaeological sites or historic
    properties or areas.

One of the reasons for this action is to protect Native American religious or cultural sites,
    archaeological sites or historic properties, located within the closure area.

SCOPING

Press releases regarding fire activity and the area closure were posted in several local news
    papers and aired on local radio and television. Forest personnel were interview by local radio and
    television.

No significant issues were raised during these scoping sessions.

Public information meetings were not conducted due to the exigency of the current situation.
    Coordination with the following co-operating agencies will be conducted prior to
    implementation of the closure order:

1. Orange County Fire Departments
    Sheriff’s Department
    2. State of California Department of Fish and Game
    Highway Patrol
    Department of Transportation (Cal Trans)
    3. Other National Forests Cleveland NF
    San Bernardino NF
    Los Padres NF

ALTERNATIVES

1. No Action

Under this alternative, significant impact to human life as well as resource values of concern will
    occur.

2. Area Closure

Under this alternative, a Forest Order will be issued that will promote public health and safety
    and protect Forest resources.

Decision Memo
    Closure Order 02-08-01
    Page 4 of 6

ENVIRONMENTAL CONSEQUENCES

The closure will not pose an impact or effect on resource values. In fact, it will protect human
    life, and Forest resources.

The closure will limit public use of the area, most specifically the recreation use of the area. It is
    designed to prohibit unauthorized use of the area. Visitors whose values and traditions involve
    the use of activities prohibited in the Closure Area will be directed by Forest Service personnel
    to areas where those activities are authorized

FINDINGS REQUIRED BY OTHER LAWS.

This action is consistent with management direction (Cleveland National Forest Land and
    Resources Management Plan) as required by the National Forest Management Act (FSM
    1922.41 and FSH 1909.12).

IMPLEMENTATION DATE

This action may be implemented immediately.

ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW OR APPEAL OPPORTUNITIES

This action is not subject to review or appeal under the requirements of 36 CFR 215.8(4).

Done at San Diego, California, this 13th day of November , 2008.

/s/William Metz
    William Metz
    Forest Supervisor, Cleveland National Forest

Decision Memo
    Closure Order 02-08-01
    Page 5 of 6

Exhibit A

Santiago Fire Closure Area

The Santiago Fire Closure Area is all National Forest System lands contained within the
    following area:

Beginning at the intersection of the Joplin Trail (Forest Trail No. 6W02) and the National Forest
    Boundary in the SE ¼ of Section 36, Township (T) 5 South, Range (R) 7 West, San Bernardino Base
    and Meridian (SBBM), then continuing west and north along the Forest Boundary to its intersection
    with Silverado Canyon County Road, then continuing east along Silverado Canyon County Road to
    its intersection with the Maple Springs Road (Forest Road No. 6S04), then continuing east along the
    southern and western edges of Maple Springs Road to its intersection with the North Main Divide
    Road (Forest Road No. 3S04), then continuing south along the western edge of the North Main
    Divide Road to its intersection with Section 30 of T 5 South, R 6 West SBBM, then continuing west
    and then south along the northern and western edges of Section 30, T 5 South, R 6 West SBBM and
    the western edge of Section 31, T 5 South, R 6 West SBBM to its intersection with the Joplin Trail,
    then continuing southwest along the Joplin Trail to the starting point.

Decision Memo
    Closure Order 02-08-01
    Page 6 of 6

Exhibit B
    Santiago Fire Closure Area

16. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I would like to know how we can determine/obtain a list of what these are:
    many projects and businesses currently in operation within the proposed Closure area.

17. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    This would be sweet to mix our Black Star night rides with some Harding Truck Trail rides.

18. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Man, the CNF web sucks!
    The 02-08-01 closure order and map shows that STT/Joplin is closed. Yet the website states they are open.
    Which is it?
    And, under current conditions areas are closed 2/6/09 due to rain. WTF?! No update since Feb!

19. LoisMustDie

LoisMustDie Beer! How did you know?

Ugh, I called the Trabuco Ranger District and they had no clue that the trail closure was due to expire and had no plans of reopening the trail any time soon.

I'd go off of Gene's last info as the most reliable.

20. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Harding truck trail opens Tues Nov 10th.

Have it on good authority.