Harding Truck Trail

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Garrett Garcia, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Is Harding Truck Trail open yet?

Does anyone know when its going to be open?

thanks

Garrett Garcia

2. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Still closed. Through at least november, if i remember correctly.

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Harding is still closed and WILL NOT OPEN until probably late fall. Please go to the USFS website for updates on conditions: Here's the link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/

I will make this a "sticky" for the tome being and remove the older thread that was there.

4. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    Thanks Gene, we were just talking about this at Taco Tuesday.

5. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    Gene- thanks. Anyone know was Harding truly damaged so much more than the other trails that have been opened for some time now :?: Seems like a very long time to be closed?

IMO it was the trail that held up the best in the winter conditions so pretty sorely missed this time of year

6. genusmtbkr5

Harding was the hardest hit by the fires. The fire burned more intense there than anywhere leaving virtually no vegetation on the hills to hold the soil.

IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg

The winter rains cause mud slides and had to be cleared again by dozers. The slopes are well exposed and the FS fears to easy an access for users to cut new trails on very unstable hills. Also there are huge boulders that could easily come down if the slope gives.

The USFS just want to give the area more time to recover ie., give it time to get more ground cover to grow back so the soil is more stable.

As you can see the recovering on Harding is much slower than those of Whiting, STT or Luge. It will open again if we give it time to heal.
    IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg

7. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    If you're thinking about riding Harding... don't!

FYI, grasshoppers: While Gene, Randy and I were riding up Harding Truck Trail on Monday doing a patrol for the USFS, we were stopped by an Orange County sheriff about 3.5 miles up the trail. He really thought he was going to catch some of those pesky mountain bikers poaching on a closed trail. He was hot to ticket! When we identified ourselves and told him this was a patrol arranged through dispatch, he became very friendly. He said that residents are calling the sheriff's department and they drive by and look at the vehicles parked in the Trucker parking lot... if they see bike racks, they will open the gate and track you down.

The good news is that the road itself has become very hard pack & fast with all the truck traffic going up and down. They continue to repair several washouts. There remains a lot of activity on this road.

Further FYI: Joplin has poison oak on it and remains pretty rocky in sections . It needs some tender love and care. Gene brought his "big" bike and was riding a lot of the sections that I walked. I forgot my pads and was not about to take any chances. Randy killed it on a 29er hardtail (ouch!)

The run back from Old Camp is now fast and fun. The overall mileage is a little under 24 miles with 4600 ft of climbing. We are hoping that they will open Harding by this fall as this is a great ride.

8. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    There was a time when I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Harding Truck Trail!
    Thanks for the update :wave:

9. Rascal

Rascal Member

Same here. I haven't ridden it in over 8 years but It's been on my mind lately.

10. guero

guero iFroth

ive only been up it once (heading to joplin, old camp, stt, luge), it was a beast! thanks for the update OH EM ARRRR.

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

How do the residents know that your group of riders is a patrol and not a group of poachers? Is it possible that the reported 'group of poachers' is not just your patrol?

12. genusmtbkr5

Harding continues to be unstable. Every time there is a heavy rain, the rode gets washed out because of the lack of vegetation to hold everything together. USFS work crews are working to shore things up so I don't expect it to open for sometime. I will try and get updates and post it up here.

IMHO, the only good thing about Harding is that it is the best way to do the Joplin Loop, otherwise, I would rather do Maple or ITT for more scenery. If you want to patrol with the USFS here is the link:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/volunteering/trabuco.shtml

The residents don't know which is why they called the sheriff. We have USFS number plates on our bars. The Sheriff can also call dispatch and verify that we are suppose to be there as we have to call in and out of service. Dispatch has a list of names that are official USFS volunteers.

13. thats why i ride to the trial head...so the bike rack doesnt give me away hahh

14. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I think I remember this day. Good times.

15. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources

How does riding on the fireroad impede the healing process exactly?:-k

Or the best way to train for endurance events when you need 1.5 hours of uninterrupted ascending. Harding is a fav. for many racers who use it for hill repeats. Mario's been know to do Harding/Peak 3 times in a ride.

16. genusmtbkr5

Healing, recovery, repair process. Maybe I used a poor choice of words, but if you could guarantee that the motos won't go off the fireroad and cut new trails then be my guess and you try and convince the USFS to open it. I along with others have recommended that Harding be opened, just as we did STT. Don't shoot the messenger!

I never said Harding wasn't a good climb, because it's a great climb. But for scenery I would prefer Maple or ITT which I can climb to the peak as well. Besides, I was speaking for myself when I said "IMHO"

17. portlypeddler

portlypeddler Active Member

under a bridge
    Forgive me, but what trail is ITT, I'm very aquainted with Maple Springs? Only been at this for a short time.

Steve:)

18. genusmtbkr5

Indian Truck Trail which starts on the I-15 side of the Santa Ana's.

19. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    My fireman friend may help me "investigate" trail conditions at Harding. We'll let you know how it is.

20. solo_rider

solo_rider New Member

Hey guys is harding open yet? I'm really looking forward to riding this trail soon. I checked the harding thread and nobody has posted since march...Thanks so much -solo