Grasshopper vs Truck - guess who won?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Waldo, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Yesterday afternoon I took advantage of a gorgeous afternoon off from work to start my weekend with a road ride on the Santiago Canyon Loop. For some reason, all the way through my mind was on safety - wishing I had a riding partner, thinking I should have bought a Road ID long ago. Sure enough, my number came up as I was descending Bake Parkway. A guy in a pickup made a right rurn in front of me, and even though I ride very defensively there was nothing I could do but play human pinball, bouncing off his fender and onto the street.

Net result: Broken collarbone (hopefully no surgery), broken ribs, lots of road rash, a crunched helmet, and a bent bike. All things considered, I was very, very lucky. No head injury (Thank you, Bell helmets), no apparent internal organ damage, and no stitches. The doc says 6-10 weeks of healing and I should be OK.

Broken ribs suck - no way around it - but if anyone has any tips for dealing with them and the collarbone, I'd appreciate it.

To his credit, the driver did the right things after the accident. And many, many thanks go out to the friends who have reached out to offer help. Dan helped with a bunch of tasks at home today, and huge thanks go to Joyce for interrupting her Friday night plans to pick me up from the hospital. I don't know what I'd do without so many good friends, and I appreciate your support more than you'll ever know.

2. dirtsnack

dirtsnack Member

cad/cam and cnc's
    Oh nooo soory to hear all of this. Hope you get through this fast. Man did he make a right turn in front of you?

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

That really sucks......cars don't really understand how quick bikes are moving.....they all rush to get in front of you and then make a turn.....has happened to me numerous times......I am not above yelling at the driver and hitting the hood or fenders when I go by.

Collarbones are only painful for a week or 2 then you start being able to deal better with them.

Broken ribs...never had them, but know how painful bruised ribs are.....I could only imagine how bad they are when they broken.....just getting up and out of bed hurts...not to mention laughing. No Humor for you for the next 6 weeks.

Heal well.

4. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    ^^ Yeah, no laughing. I mean it. *_* (see my sig for deets)

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you get through quickly. Rest, read, don't think about much (you know what I mean). You'll make it just fine.

If you can possibly rig a pull system (cord, rope, nylon webbing, what have you) above your bed, you might find it helpful and easier to pull yourself up. That part is just no fun. No fun at all.

Good luck.

- shud

5. melster

melster Member

Software
    heal up quickly!

6. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    Bob becomes the first member of Team Crash to earn his jersey..although we all wish he hadn't. heal up my friend and I'll stop by tomorrow or Monday.

7. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I'm really glad you weren't more seriously injured, or worse! There was a cycling fatality in OC recently from a similar situation.. the first vehicle knocked him down and a subsequent vehicle ran over him. In all my road riding, I somehow managed to never be hit by a car.. though I did run into a couple while delivering papers, but that's another story.

Did break my collarbone once, oddly enough, in Black Star Canyon. And cracked some ribs by skiing off a jump without checking the landing area :lol: Actually, laughing OUT LOUD is probably not recommended right now. Sorry.

Hope you heal quick, Bob. I've got a stationary trainer you can borrow if you need one.

8. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Seems like everyone is breaking their collar bone lately. Sucks to hear about your misfortune on the road. Glad it wasn't much more. Heal up quick and sell the road bike.

9. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
    Sorry to hear of your trauma and pain.

But glad that you are going to be ok!

Heal up.

10. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Well Bob I am sorry to hear about your accident, even though you are pretty bang up it could have been much worse..., get well soon. We ride with Kev when your back.

11. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    Sending healing vibes to you. Six weeks will go by fast.

12. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Sorry to hear this Bob. Hope you heal quick.

I've broken both. 8-[

Ribs on Ernie Maxwell, but still rode the rest of the ride during 1 of the STR campouts. Then next morning I was in pain, Margo gave me some strong pills till I went to the Dr's then you get it wrapped tight with a rib belt. Then it just hurts when you sneeze, cough or laugh. It took about 4 weeks before I rode when I went to Fruita. I wore my rib belt the whole time and took my pills and it helps to deal with the pain. Pulling up on the handlebars and the jarring of bumps is what hurts most, but I still rode. When I got back from Fruita, I did the Traverse the following weekend. :-s

Just wear that rib belt and keep it on tight so it mends.

Collarbone just sucks cause your arm is also not usable.
    I also had a clean break. For me, it's more of a pain in the butt than a broken rib cause it's hard to shower, change clothes, sleep..., etc. I'm sure they gave you a brace to wear and also a sling for that arm? You'll need help putting the brace off and on. I lived alone then and figured a way to take the brace off and on so I can shower. I had to sleep reclined on the couch that way it didn't put pressure on it and it helps to rest. It seems like months before I could ride again. You need to be patient and let that collarbone fuse which is why you can't use that arm. My collarbone still aches from time to time.

If I had a choice between the 2, I'd rather have my ribs broken, but not really.
    :-k

13. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Shoot sorry to hear it but glad it wasn't worse.

14. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Yuck! that sucks man. Sorry to read that. I'll just eat this giant piece of chocolate cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and wish you a speedy recovery.
    Did he speed up past you and then pull over in front of you to turn right? Is he going to buy you a new bike?
    Get well soon.

15. zman

zman WTF ?

Damm man heal up

16. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Damn Bob! I have also broken both but never at the same time. I went to Moab six weeks to the day after breaking my collar bone and it was fine. The ribs were the worst for me. I broke six and it hurt to do everything! Heal quickly!

17. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Bummer to read about this, we read about these stories way to often.

Dean

18. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    As I recall it takes about 10 days for the nasty pain to go away. Then it's just waiting around time, feeling left out:(

One of my friends has used these incidents to fund some very nice bikes. His last big foray, wherein a lady hit his trailer and consequently knocked him over as well, netted him a Santa Cruz Tallboy, carbon, AND a Pinarello Dogma. Of course, immediately thereafter, some kid with heavily tinted windows, making a right hand turn, didn't see my friend crossing in front of him and hit his rear wheel on the Dogma...one new wheel and an extremely fancy paint job later, the bike is back in business.

19. mtberic

mtberic New Member

yea - don't laugh, don't cough. I intentionally did not watch anything funny during my rib recovery.

Get well!

20. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
    but they say laughter is the best medicine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.