giant reign 2 vs scott genius 740

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fatoni, Jan 18, 2014.

1. fatoni

fatoni New Member

Hi guys. Im looking to replace my honzo (my first mountain bike) because a) it seems to ride very tall and upright making handling a real workout. b) 1x10, 31 lbs and me being out of shape dont mix very well. c) rear suspension seems like a nice change of pace. and d) new bikes are awesome. anyways, i know very little about bikes other that what ive read but these two bikes seemed to speak to me and should both be cheap as they were last years models. other than the 26 vs 27.5 issue, what should i be expecting? any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I vote Giant. I rode the Genius 740 and was unimpressed. It felt cumbersome and uninspired. Not to mention unnecessarily complicated. The Giant has a great design at a great price. I've never ridden one, but lots of people on this forum love them.

edit:
    Maybe I rode the 730. Not sure. It was a 2013 and it was an aluminum 650b.

3. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Great Scotts! The Genius 710 received some negative reviews online. Which is odd because these bikes are supposedly tested in the Swiss Alps. If only they tested at The Luge. Lol. I'm wondering if the 740 shares the same fate. If only Giant wasn't Giant....Haha.

4. fatoni

fatoni New Member

haha thanks for the input guys. i wish i had more experience with all this stuff. the luge is pretty much as wild as i get outside of the once a year trip to big bear. most of the time im just in whiting trying to get exercise. im hoping that the smaller wheels will add some agility but the rear suspension will make up for the smaller wheels and a 2x10 will let me ride longer and faster.

5. Nicolai

Nicolai New Member

Will be hard to find someone who has experience with both, as is typical with these important inquiries.

i know nothing about Giants, expect preconceived notions. Which I'm not gonna tell you.

But I did manage a rental fleet of Genius 740's at our shop in Utah for all of 2013. Besides wrenching on them it also included many longer 'test rides'!

My personal bikes have always been Santa Cruz. Compared the Genius feels longer and more XC'ish, even with the generous travel. Riding position is more stretched out. Pedaling is effortless and effective (off course partly due to diligent use of the TwinLoc lever controlling all shocks). Overall for my riding I could totally own one of these, although I'm a devout big wheel guy. It combined the uphill/downhill compromises in a unique way that worked for me.

The DT Swiss rear shock sucks. I'll spare the details as for 2014 the Genius comes with Fox, but still incorporating the sweet TwinLoc. We also had problems with the lower end fork, the newly developed Fox CTD. Also fixed, according to insiders. Oh, wait I just read you are looking at 13 models. Well, warranties for DT have always been fast and hassle free for our shop. Fox is slower but still admits to mistakes.

Mid range Shimano components are reliable and time proven, although without bling. But this is a price point build.

Thats all I can think of for now.

6. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    You sound like you need a santa cruz tallboy or solo!

7. g-dub

g-dub Member

Interesting all the low key Giant loathing here...there is about a 50-50 chance that your aluminum frame bike came out of a Giant factory, so maybe the big corporate thing is bugging people.

I actually ride a Reign x, which I bought because it had identical geometry and better parts than the competing Santa Cruz aluminum framed model. The rear suspension is among the best going, and it will make the most of a shock you would get at your price point. On the other hand, on your Reign, the geometry of was aging when the design was new, and last year was the end of the line. And it's under-forked to boot.

I've never ridden a Scott, but they do seem like they're trying too hard.

In general, I have a hard time recommending a value priced spec on longer travel bikes that are going to be pedaled. IMO The better way to take $500 off the bike is to drop an inch of travel. Most 5" bikes today have more descent oriented angles than the reign.

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Ask The Path what is their top selling bike take it for a ride and go from there. I do not like twitchy XC bikes and always lean toward the slacker bike.

9. fatoni

fatoni New Member

thanks for all the great advice. i guess i just picked those two bikes because they are discounted and seem to do what i am looking for. if you have any better recommendations im all ears.

10. onlyzenki

onlyzenki New Member

I have a trek slash with full xt drivetrain and brakes, as well as a reverb stealth for sale. 17.5 med frame 1800. Pm me if interested. This bike will outperform both you mentioned and is probably cheaper too. Wish you luck on your next bike.

11. fatoni

fatoni New Member

thanks but at 6'2" i dont think a medium would work for me

12. socalMX

socalMX Member

13. pwe312

pwe312 Member

I have the reign. It's more than you need for whiting and the luge but just enough for big bear. Its an efficient pedaler but not the fastest. If you like to stand and pedal at all, giant's maestro suspension won't work well for you even with lockouts. You have to stay seated or else it will bob like crazy. If you want a better climber and aren't riding anything chunkier than the luge, another bike would probably fit you better. It's more fun at Oaks or Aliso.

14. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    You need to demo several brands ,ride them on types of trails you ride. Try other brands too in your price point. My biased opinion with some of the information you've given about your riding is a trek fuel ex 7 or 8. Can handle lots of terrain. Test rides are probably the best way to see what feels best .....for you. I know several guys who love their giants.

15. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    How did you get a 1x10 for your first mtn bike? Just curious

16. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Like others have mentioned,its best to make a decision after demoing.

I have several friends that rip it up on Reigns. They take it to bear and all over SoCal.

I use to have a giant anthem 26 and it wAs a great bike! I just didn't like the steep HA.

Try b4 Buy! Good luck and do keep us updated on whatcha got.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. fatoni

fatoni New Member

im going to demo as many bikes as im aware of. i was just looking for input and those are the bikes that were on my radar. i ended up with the 1x10 because the honzo seemed to do a lot of the things i wanted from a bike. i felt the big wheels meant i didnt need much travel, the geo was aggressive enough and the short chainstay meant i wouldnt give up too much agility but that meant no room for a second chainring. either way i have to move my honzo before i get a new bike so i have time.

18. Low Pressure

Low Pressure New Member

19. fatoni

fatoni New Member

think im going with the reign. hope its a decent bike.

20. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Good choice! Its more than a decent bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk