GeoManGear’s Battery is here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeoMan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. nailknot

nailknot Member

destruction of material
    Trailblaza, I experienced a slightly different problem last week. I held in the button to shut the light off and it wouldn't turn off. Unplugged the lamp unit and plugged it back in. Seems like it reset and functioned fine after that.

2. mtnbkr818

mtnbkr818 Member

having trouble with my old charger. the charger light doesnt go red then to green it will for one battery. is there a probllem?

3. Jenks72

Jenks72 New Member

Im having the same issue here.
    I finally received my battery replacement however whenever I try to charge it, the light indicator located on the charger will flash to red in about half a second and return back to green. I've tried reconnecting the charger to the battery but the same thing happened. I've also tried to wiggle the connection, push the two connections harder, but none of those seem to solve the charging issue.
    To test the charge of the battery, I hooked the battery with the head light, the light indicator on the head light stayed red - no bueno!

4. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    Possible solution

Before we get started, I would like to say that I am pretty sure that modifying any part of the light or battery will void warranty and If you are not confident in your equipment or ability. I would NOT Do what I am describing. :-k

So why am I doing it? Because I don't care. I waited long enough for the Replacements.

Ok, so I had the same problem as previously described. would try to plug in my *NEW* battery and it wouldn't charge. So the odd thing is that one of my chargers would charge the new bats. but the other wouldn't. Whats the difference? I got one charger with my first light about 2 or so years ago now. And the second one was about a year after.

The first charger came with the original rectangle looking battery.

The second one came with the "NEW" design. This was the round one that was supposedly better.

[​IMG]

Note the Changes in the shape of the connectors. The older one on the LEFT has a step on the side. #-o

The new charger on the RIGHT does not. :clap:

So whats really going on here? Simple, the step prevents the battery from fully connecting to the charger.

How did I fix this? Simple as well, I just put an angle on the edge of the connector. It then fit properly.

Whats the culprit? I am going to blame the Crappy plastic connector housing they are using. Its a tight fit( I'm guessing, to make it tough to rattle out when riding.)

What did I do to put the angle on the connector housing? I just took a small but sharp razor knife and Carefully REMOVED the material.

Make SURE you do not have any material left inside the connector. It could prevent the connectors from fully connecting. Its also probably a fire hazard to have it in there. Im not sure at what voltage the charger puts out to the battery, but BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.

[​IMG]

The one on the LEFT has the cut done to it, The other does not. The connection was much easier to make and the battery charged fine after. Simple, Minimal, and easy fix.

BTW, I still charge the new batteries outside on concrete away from anything important and store them accordingly. I doubt I will ever trust them enough to charge them in my house.

5. Rakuman

Rakuman Member

Artist

This is pretty common some of the old chargers don't like the new battery's so much, it a voltage thing that's why the green, red, green, contact Geoman he will get you a replacement charger.

6. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    Im glad i keep my old lights and chargers,just keeping an eye on them when charging, they have treated me well for two years now.

7. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Old charger not handling new battery - have to spin the plug around to keep it charging.

It goes 'green' tonite in 2 minutes. This after the light itself goes to 'red' after only 15 minutes into ride this morning. This sucks. I did have enough power in batt. to keep light on - just at a lower setting.

I now can't assume it's charging without checking on it every few minutes. Not good.

8. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Emailed GeoMan yesterday and they said I will recieve a new charger from them. Compatibility issues with old chargers/new battery.

9. Giddy

Giddy Member

Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    Geoman Thanks I got my new batterys and they worh great. after I mail in my correct warranty form it only took a couple weeks by USPS mail My night rides are looking bright again Thanks Geomann!!!!!!
    Oh Dino Thanks also for getting straighten out on my mix up with the warranty form

photo.jpg

10. tandem

tandem New Member

This is an old thread but I wanted to thank GeoMan since I just received my replacement batteries today. I mailed out the forms November last year.

11. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    thanks for the update!
    i was just wondering about this as i haven't sent my recalled battery back yet... still back logged then, but not to bad.