Full Armor Mountain Bikers on the Mt. Waterman Trail Saturday Afternoon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Sewellymon, Jun 16, 2014.

1. von

von Member

Tax Auditor

IMHO opening the Mt Waterman Bike Park will definitely draw more people to ride the mountain but I think the the majority of the crowd will be concentrated on the DH/gravity/bike park trails. Not too different from Snow Summit, ideally. Many families head up to Big Bear for leisure rides while their adrenaline seeking family members ride the park. Works for everyone!

2. cranky

cranky Member

I think this part is the bigger deal - no matter what, you should stop and let the uphill traffic pass, especially when there is a dog. A lot of dogs get scared or excited by bikes so you run the risk of either hitting or having to swerve and slide of the trail to avoid an advancing dog. Dangerous for rider and the dog.

3. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

rojomas was observing how we are perceived and commenting on it, not judging people.

The way we are perceived by other trail users can affect our rights/privileges. That's true in any sport/hobby/interest. Firearms, motorcycles, sports cars, off-road vehicles, anything you can think of. If you have to deal with other folks who aren't into what you are into, the way they perceive your behavior and appearance can have an effect on your ability to do what you love. That might not be right, or American, or fair, but it is a fact.

Sierra Club assholes feel entitled to control the activities of other folks, and if something like a fast bicycle, scary firearm or loud car threatens their perception of privilege and safety, they will try to ban it.

Trying to marginalize people who point that out with a "Wha'evah! I do what I want!" isn't productive and steers the focus away from the real problem.

4. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Nice Cartman quote

5. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    When I first started mountain biking, it was legal to ride the PCT, and it's a great trail from Big Bear to Hesperia... (the only parts that I have ridden)
    Odd that you would say that, when the OP and others are clearly in favor of NOT losing any more trails for mountain bikes to hikers and horses.

6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

So you telling me hikers are more afraid of a guy in full armor crawling down the hill vs a guy in a skinsuit flying past them? I get what your saying to a point but its not the armor thats the problem is the people in the armor that are the problem but it would be not different if a group in spandex did the same thing.

7. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Yes, guys in a full face and body armor are way more menacing looking than a guys in sausage suits with bright colors.
    Plus, lets face it, The guys in body armor are more than likely much bigger than the twigs in Lycra. Not to mention that to the uninitiated their bikes look like motorcycles without engines.

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]

8. bleicht

bleicht Member

Bottom line is everyone wants it their way all the time. Driving a car? Screw bikers. Riding a bike? Screw cars and hikers. etc.

Such is life.

9. Bruce in SoCal

Bruce in SoCal Member

Lawyer (semi-retired)
    Whether its accurate or not full armor implies speed. Speed implies less control and less ability to avoid collisions or to yield the right of way.

I wear knee and shin pads over old injuries and because I heal slowly. I know that if I wasn't wearing these, I'd ride even slower than I do. Not that i ever ride particularly fast, but the corollary is that I do ride faster because I wear them. Can anyone honestly say they don't ride faster in pads or armor?

A rider in Lycra might ride just as fast as one in armor, but it is not as likely on a trail and is not perceived as being threatening.

As far as the perception given by the bike itself, the bike is a fixed quantity. Riding attire isn't.

Riders need to be sensitive to perceptions. In a recent ride, I was rarely faster than 15 mph. Not only were most hikers good about not hogging the trail, many even moved over as I went by even though they really didn't need to. I thanked each one. They all responded positively.

10. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    ok, back from the sierra. appreciate the intelligent responses. it's basically we gotta police our own so the authorities don't have to.

i am apt to hate authorities when faced with their stupidity.. (rockclimbing being banned on Williamson Rock due to the frog qualifies in my subjective opinion).
    I am also no saint. My tires treads have poached quietly when nobody is around to see. I tend not to like equestrians. So I am a dick, too.

But big skids on a pristine hiking trail. Nada...
    Not letting hikers pass/ Nope. I pull over and give a big smile.

I like to ride the last hour of light when everybody gone home. That is when I am apt to go full throttle. fun to ride as fast as your abilities allow. ride on

11. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT

wow so this is what STR and mountaineer biking community is turning into? The spiral descend is even faster and have gone lower than I thought possible.

12. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Other than the name calling, this is a good and important discussion. We have to cultivate and protect our image as mountain bikers to maintain access to trails. We will not prevail if we thumb our noses at those not on bikes and seemingly say "I can do whatever I want, wherever I want and screw you."

Wearing full-face, full body armor and riding DH bikes mach schnell down a popular multi use trail is bad for all of us. It's image and perception, no matter how polite you are mumbling underneath your helmet. Ripping up multi use trails to the point where they are hard to walk on hurts all of us. Being rude to others while on a mountain bike hurts all of us. If you know me, you know I am not taking this stance because I prefer wearing XC gear and being cautious downhill. Quite the opposite.

We are the caretakers of our sport and it is incumbent upon us to call out our fellow riders and set the expectations and norms for our behavior before somebody else chooses to do it for us through trail closures. While we won't completely agree on what those norms and limits should be, it's through discourse such as this that we can find appropriate limits to our own behavior and attitudes to develop a positive image of our sport.

(Drops the mic...)

13. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    <yawning> ... Did you say somethin Hertz?? ; p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  14. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Easy for you to say - all you have to do is ride and it helps the image of the sport...

15. badgas

badgas I like dirt

The girl on the right is clearly less intimidating than the guy on the left.

16. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

how does taking a dump in the bushes help the image of the sport? I heard she was in full DH gear, so that's a double whammy.

17. eteamer

eteamer Member

Fun Have'r
    I notice the guy with out pads has a bloody knee. Is it better for the sport to be skinned up? Or with broken teeth? I say you're a fool not to wear protection no matter what kind of riding you do.

18. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Just keep your FF helmet on at all times Donny, you're much better looking. Even my chitts look better than you ...

19. wheeler

wheeler Member

Full DH gear should only be worn on gnar trails like San Juan.

20. zman

zman WTF ?

San Juan is a gnar trail ??? :-k

One of my biggest pet peeves is when hikers have dogs and have them on a extendo leash or no leash at all
    A lose dog is way more scary than a full armor DH dude