Fox Shocks Question: What psi do you run?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by nappyt, Aug 30, 2007.

1. nappyt

nappyt New Member

I have a '07 Heckler with a Float R 143mm rear shock and the ProPedal came factory set "Light". The fork is a Float RLC 140mm. I RTFM and set the sag to spec .5" rear and 1.25" front.

The odd thing is the psi I used to achieve those settings. The rear shock has 200 psi and the front fork has 90 psi. I have set the rebound on both and the compression per the documentation as well. I even went over the check list in the Sept issue of MBA to see if I was missing something on setting up the fork.

Same results...

Now for the odd part, I'm 260 lbs and I have done all my sag settings at that weight.

Per the documentation the rear should have almost my body weight (~260 psi) and the fork should have about 125-130 psi.

Should I not worry about the psi as long as I have the right sag and all the rebound, compression and blowoff are set correct? 8-[

I have tried riding the bike with the rear shock with 260 psi and the front fork with 130 psi and even with compression and rebound adjusted it feels like a damn rigid. :(

Thanks for any feedback... :wave:

2. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer

Just ride it after the sag is set correct... but defiently monitor travel usage during the ride and see if its bottoming out at all.... also if it feels too "rigid" to you, try dropping a couple of lbs out of the shock or mess with the rebound and compression till you find that happy medium.... I'm 240+ myself and I run about 250 in my Float RL at 125 in my Talas RLC and thats about the correct sag for my setup... remember my rear shock is different so PSI may vary...

3. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Easy fix: Push industries

Some of the new floats have high volume air chambers which require less psi in the shock.

Make sure the low speed compression is tuned to mid range when you set this then tune sag etc from there

4. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    does it feel like a rigid on fireroads, bumpy singletrack, or everywhere? This is how I setup my suspension. First, achieve proper sag front and rear ( approx 30% ). Second, I ride the bike off a curb while sitting. I want the shock to compress, release, and be done. If it wallows like an old cadillac add rebound dampening. Next climb a smooth steep hill and add compression to the shock to minimize any bobbing. That should get the shock in the ballpark. If it feels harsh off the curb or feels like a rigid while climbing with zero compression try increasing the sag a little. Setting up the fork is personal preference. I set mine up on high frequency bumps. Rockit in Aliso is great for this. I'll run the same section until I get a satisfactory setting. I start with no compression and very little rebound dampening. I add rebound until the fork starts feeling harsh (packing up) then back it out to the previous runs setting. If the fork feels harsh make sure your compression and rebound aren't cranked up. If it still feels harsh keep adding sag until it feels plush. By setting up my suspension this way I'll have just enough compression dampening on the shock for a good pedal platform and remain plush. I'll be running the fork with as much rebound dampening as I can for big hits, but can still charge through the rock gardens. Hope this helps.

5. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Awesome advice here. That is basically what I do as well.

The newest Fox stuff I have is an '06 Float RP3 shock and an '06 TALAS fork. I set the shock to my body weight and the TALAS to half body weight and they run awesome. I'm not sure about what's going on with yours. I didn't know that the ProPedal came from the factory in different settings until you told me.

6. nappyt

nappyt New Member

I was think about this after I posted the question. I'll take my shock pump with me on my ride today and play with different settings.

I did removed all the compression when I was working on the shock and set the rebound to the halfway mark.

Thanks for your help.

7. nappyt

nappyt New Member

PUSH :bang:

I'm going to give these shocks a try but when it gets around the time to have them rebuilt next year I might opt to have them PUSHed since I'm so heavy. That would make more sense than getting an RP23 and a Talas that would give a big guy like me the same trouble.

I did notice that on my Superlight when I sent my Float AVA to Fox for the ProPedal upgrade it needed half the psi's from before I sent it in. I thought they had ruined my shock. I put the same psi in the shock that I normally do and the damn thing wouldn't compress. I kept dropping 5 psi until I got the sag and it had less than half the psi in the shock then I normally had. The shock did perform great. Been rolling it over two years and it still works great.

Thanks for your help.

8. nappyt

nappyt New Member

This is really great advise. You've given me a few new things to think about and some old stuff I had forgotten. I'm going to get a ride in this afternoon and its a perfect trail for getting all this stuff dialed in.

Thanks for your help. :beer:

Yep, the R model comes factory set. I can send it do a dealer and have them change it to medium or high. The RP3 and RP23 have dials to adjust the ProPedal on them.

9. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    BTW, The rear shock should be set according to sag, not rider weight, due to the differing leverage ratios on the suspension linkages of some bikes. Example:

I recently changed the suspension linkage on my S-Works Enduro. I went from having 5.1" of travel to 6.1". Formerly I ran my RP23 pressure at 220 but due to the increased leverage ratio of the rear linkage, I now have to run almost 300. I weigh 200lbs

10. nappyt

nappyt New Member

I usually set everything to sag but the guy at the shop and a buddy told me to start with my weight. Since I'm under 300 lbs I figured I would try it. Doesn't work for me so it seems ~200 psi is right for me.

11. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I said starting with your body weight to acheive sag was the general rule of thumb. But that you may have to add or decrease to get there. I also said I don't totally use sag as my barometer on how to set up the shock. If I acheive the recommended sag and the bike doesn't feel right, I'll add air or drop air to make it feel right for me.

12. nappyt

nappyt New Member

:drunk:

13. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    set it to the specs in the manuals,ride it,take the shock pump with you to adjust.mba isnt riding the way you d,or the same wayt you are.k?