finish line chain cleaner - two thumbs up!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by LBmtb, Mar 31, 2005.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Bought this a few days ago for 15 bucks http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=1739&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

[​IMG]

I must say I really like it. Much easier to use then the park one that I used at Alan's house. After putting it on the chain you dont have to hold it or anything, it has this arm that holds the back of the derailuer so all you gotta do is turn the cranks backwards. Very easy.

What I did . . . dripped degreaser on each link sorta like I do with lube. Let it sit for ~10 mins. Cleaned it with the chain cleaner, dumping the water when it got too dirty and poured some fresh water in. Did this until the water barely got dirty anymore. Chain was clean as new. Wiped it down, waited for it to dry, and then dripped a bit of lube on it. \:D/

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Yeah, that's the "classic" old "Vetta" design for a chain cleaner. Nothing wrong with that!

For several years I used to use the "Bibox" chain cleaner that Performance used to sell, because it cleaned even better than my Vettas. Now that BiBox is "gone", I use a Pedro's that's pretty much the same thing with rotating brushes driven by the chain and a resevoir on top for the degreaser. Gotta get them on sale though, because $30 for a plastic chain cleaner is crazy!

3. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Yeah they can be expensive, just make sure after you use it to wash it out and I usually take some compressed air to it to dry it out. My first Park cleaner I didn't do that and the brush "axles" rusted out and wouldn't turn right.....basically it died at an early age :lol:

4. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

After hearing George's glowing review -- decided to purchase one for myself. Indeed, even though the Park's cleans immaculately, it is a bit messy and hard to use. I'll post again once they go head-to-head.

5. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I should get one of them too, how much was shipping?

6. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

6 bucks -- order other stuff too while your at it, like degreasers and chain cleaners to distribute the shipping cost. Where are your riding this weekend Bret?

7. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Alan I think we're gonna do San Juan on Sunday with the group.

8. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Thanks for the info. Rob.

9. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Ok, received the finish line, and compared with the Parks. To me, it seems like the Finish Line is easier to use, but the Parks gets better results, although the Parks is messy as hell and harder to use.

10. Big Guy

Big Guy New Member

Engineer
    I just bought the Supergo chain cleaner for $10. It works really good, actually better than the Park. The Park was messy and the wheels broke after about 10 uses.

The Supergo is very compact, easy to use and clean afterward. And it did a great job cleaning the chain. The handle slides in and locks the cover to the body.

I give it 5 stars

11. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

12. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Does your road bike chain get dirty or something? :wave:

Come ride your Enduro with us this weekend steven.

13. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Sounds like you're riding Sunday and not Saturday? I'm doing my tight shorts ride on Saturday and not riding Sunday (as usual). Plus I need Jackson to fix the Enduro's brakes b4 it's safe to ride. But I'm really itching to ride some dirt.

BTW - yes, after a couple hundred miles a week rode bike chains accumulate dirt and using something other than an old rag sounds easier... So which one sounds better?