Fat Tire Epic 50

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by crispy, Feb 3, 2014.

1. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    The SoCal Fat Tire Epic 50 is coming up this weekend. I was just wondering if anyone else here is doing the race and if anyone knows what the course is like when it veers away from the typical 12 hour area. I haven't ridden over there and don't know what to expect.

Link to the course: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/434311021

2. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

The "West" lollipop is an extended mix of the 12-hour courses. The "East" lollipop has about 60% fire-road/ double track that's relatively flat, but a mile or two of technical single track with short, punchy, super-steeps that'll sap your reserves if you're not careful. Nothing that requires a lot of skill, but when the race was held in the October heat, it was a lot of hike-a-bike for 100-200 foot segments unless you were in competition for the win.

Should be more fun when it's not 110+

The route as it appeared in 2011...the East Loop is a lot faster than the West Loop (2 mph average faster)
    http://app.strava.com/activities/1824014

3. el cap

el cap Active Member

4. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    That hill Tinker is on, Comes early in the lap. It also looks really steep from the other side of the spectrum. That picture dont do it justice.

5. BBBRAD

BBBRAD New Member

For me this was pretty hard for a 50 miler. All the ups and downs on the ridgeline were really sapping. The downhills weren't long enough to recover on before another short steep climb punched you in the balls again.
    Pacing for this one seems key - I went out too hard on lap 1 and really paid the price on lap 2.
    Heat was also really a factor last time that it hopefully won't be this time.

6. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

I am hoping this 50 miler won't kill me. My usual "long" ride is about 40 miles with 5,700 ft of elevation gain. This course is 50 miles and about 5,000 so hopefully will feel similar.