El Moro/LCWP/Bommer/Shady/Quail(IRC) Trail Conditions(merged)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by genusmtbkr5, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Maybe it was a magical unicorn?

2. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

^^^ Okay Beavis and Butthead or is it Sponge Bob and Patrick?
    stock-photo-3542173-traffic-horse-on-the-grass.jpg

3. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

LCWP is the only thing open today (Friday). Maybe a little muddier than just tacky in some of the usual places. We got a little downpour in the middle of the night.

4. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Quick "thanks" to the man with the shovel out on the new Camarillo single track yesterday. Zipped through trying to get in before the rain yesterday morning and only gave a quick "good morning" to you. The 1-year old trail has held up extremely well with all the traffic and rain (wish it was a few miles long).

5. socal stinky

socal stinky Member

6. Andy

Andy Member

Aliso had a few big puddles here and there, but not really muddy. Got caught in the big shower that blew through around 3-3:30 this afternoon. Was a very quiet afternoon, only saw about 10 other people riding and about 10-15 walking
    Some staff/ranger action at the entrance when I got back. It looked like they might be closing the park... I suppose I should've asked, but I was drenched and wanted to get home...

7. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    Rode with kevin today (eastrice91). Really cool guy and Im glad I listened to him and rode laguna. For some reason I stopped coming here for a couple of months and all I can say is I was wasting time. The S/T is epic and different from other oc parks. Looking to do alot more riding out there . Careful for ruts coming down from nix to camarillo

8. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    So Folks... if you want to Ride El Moro / LCWP ...now is the time..the conditions are as good as it gets. The fireroad climbs are hard pack, the single tracks are in excellent condition, the terrain is green, the views are spectacular... the weather today was the type of weather I dream about..just wanted to pass that on.

9. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

I dropped down Bommer from Ridge Park yesterday, went through Shady Canyon/Quail Hill, dropped down to Nix and did Stagecoach, rode up Willow, dropped Old Emerald and rode back out of the park. Conditions are great, Weather is perfect -- although saw frost on the ground at the Bottom of Bommer and again near the bottom of Old Emerald.

I rode a quick El Moro loop at lunch on Friday to check out the bike after having the fork rebuilt and cassette/chain replaced. Equally good conditions.

More importantly, saw a group working on Stagecoach as it climbs up from the Nix parking lot. They were reworking all the corners which had become pretty rutted up. We need climbers from the parking lot to help pack the dirt down. As for descenders coming the other direction -- try and take care on the corners as well, until they firm up again.

10. Pilas

Pilas Member

Great news. Some of those corners were pretty damaged due to riders carelessly slamming the brakes on those turns.
    Thanks to the people who worked on the trail, and for everybody else, careful on the corners as rjcsocal said.

11. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    As soon as OC Parks announced on Facebook that LCWP had reopened, I could not pass up a chance to get in a ride before the weekend was up. I loaded up my bike and off I drove to Ridge Park.

But then, this sign greeted me at the gate. What the hell? But a closer look at the sign identifies the source as Crystal Cove State Park, not LCWP.

[​IMG]

I know from this map that Bommer Ridge Trail is part of LCWP, not Crystal Cove. So why is the sign outside the state park? So off I went.

Well, the trail did not look good. It was mostly rideable, but there were some spots like this

[​IMG]

And some ponds.

[​IMG]

But once past where the trail intersects with Morro Ridge, it got considerably better. Can you see the ocean? This was on Boat Road.

[​IMG]

The mountain sparkles when the rain stops falling.

[​IMG]

Over all, it was a bit muddier than I would have liked, but it still was a wonderful ride.

[​IMG]

12. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Bommer Ridge is part of LCWP. CCSP put the sign there because a lot of people use Ridge Park as an entrance to El Moro.

13. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    Rode from the Nix Center to the park further west on 133, then up and around to Quail Hill, then back to the Nix. The trails were perfect with only a trace of easily avoidable mud in a couple of areas. We encountered only six other bikes during the ride.

14. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Old Emerald trail work: they've cut back brush on the top section, filled in some ruts in the middle section and the last section (before the hard righthander) has been groomed. The narrow slotted section down to the bridge has been groomed. The brush has been cut back over and past the bridge, including that low hanging branch just over the bridge.

It's pretty tame now. Good for the horsey set. Now we got to make those ruts deep and nasty again.

15. me and my bike

man of many trades
    Really doesn't look like the work of mountain bikers. Really disappointed with the work, a lot more could have been done in spots that weren't touched and sections that needed nothing seemed to have all the work. Hope the rain shapes it up better than what it was left in.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
  16. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    The cone and sign is still at the top, maybe they plan on grooming the whole trail? I think the horsey folks want more room when they're coming up and we're rolling down. It's pretty silly looking now.

17. me and my bike

man of many trades
    Yeah I wish it was horsey people doing that "trail work", but I know Share was supposed to be out there sat the 30th so I assume they forgot there cone at the top and there good ideas at home. Im scared to look at what they did to emerald falls. I don't even want to know.#-o

18. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Horsey people in El Moro...it has been my back yard trail for many years and I see 1 or 2 horses out there a year. They seem to stage at Big Bend in Laguna Coast more than any place out here on the coast.

19. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Great idea Obie! I say let's get rid of all these dang narrow trails. Down with single-track!!!! Let's make em all big and wide and full of ruts. I'm going out to skid down Old Emerald right now.

20. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

Yesterday must have been one of those days. We saw a group of 4-5 coming up Emerald Canyon to Bommer then down Willow.

It was pretty dry out there, especially on Old Emerald. We could tell where trail work had been done, but since it was the first time on the trail for many of us, there was no point of reference pre-trailwork. And in light of that, we all enjoyed the trail. :?:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.